FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Safe Mode and MsConfig [Windows 7]

Asap170
Alright well recently I was making a bootable flash drive and booted off of it and it re-wrote my boot manager so I didn't have normal Windows 7 one. If I went to MsConfig and to "Boot" tab it wouldn't allow me to change any settings so then I finally fixed that and now I can't get to safe mode using "f8" but I am pretty sure I can go to MsConfig and select safe mode and it would work fine. Am I just hitting the wrong button? Cause if I am I will feel really stupid.

Computer Specs:

Manufacturer: Dell
    Model: Vostro 3500
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M430 @ 2.27GHz 2.26 Ghz
    RAM: 4.00GB
    System Type: 32-bit
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
driftingfe3s
F8 is the right key... do all your "F" keys work when your in Windows?
FunDa
In many laptops, to press the Function keys, you have to also hold the blue Fn key on the bottom left of the keyboard

F8 is the correct key.

But In some computers I remember holding the CTRL key while booting to go to the Safe Mode menu

Don't remeber if that was for Windows 98 though.
Asap170
I think my function keys work proper and f12 lets me choose my boot device so I don't need to hold down any other buttons.
FunDa
Did u try pressing CTRL instead. That could also work.

Anyway, once you are booted into windows, can you confirm that f8 is working.

That would make sure that the keyboard is not at fault.
Asap170
I have tested to make sure my f8 key work properly. And it works perfectly fine. I downloaded a program to test it and it was set to match BIOS configuration so yea. I'll try control here next.
jmfernandez
First, make sure that your keyboard is working fine. When you start your computer, after the post message press "F8" as many and faster as you can to go to safe mode.
Asap170
jmfernandez wrote:
First, make sure that your keyboard is working fine. When you start your computer, after the post message press "F8" as many and faster as you can to go to safe mode.

Not to make you mad or anything but try to read earlier posts because I've done that and yet i still fails.
FunDa
I guess that means holding the Ctrl key dint work for you.

Well, this is an interesting situation. Let us know when u solve the problem.