FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

CSS

hanay
Always use css, it's the easiest way to design a website other than having somone else do it for you!

css aka cascading style sheets keeps everything on your webpage in a neat and clean order, i.e. all your headers will be the same color size etc. They may be hard to start up, but once you get going it's all down hill from then on!

To learn more about css, visit: http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
Ashims
Tis not hard to start up... not at all... its the easiest freaking thing EVER.

Smile

CSS is putting us webdesigners out of a job... thats for sure.
jarcelao
CSS-based web designs definitely rocks! Vou can virtually change the appearance of any website without altering the html. Voila!

That's the magic of a CSS-based web design. Very Happy
bnbrown
Yes. CSS is really a god improvement a leap in webdesign. I like it, too. I like also external for I just copy a file to another directory and I'm done. CSS is the solution for the style.
markgil
ya!!! css is the best for today in editing those style or colors in ur website Laughing

itsrude
I agree,

with CSS you can do much more than just html.
I also can't say, that it's difficult.
Its really worth to try.
Also you can find much information about CSS, so if you can 't get it, a little bit looking around can help a lot.
JayBee
But What can I do with the bad browsers that don't support CSS correctliy eg. IE Mad
I dont use IE but somebody Question still use it. brrr
eday2010
I haven't had IE cause any problems with my CSS code in my pages. It appears a tad different than in Netscape/Firefox, but it's nothing that throws the design off. I haven't really used CSS for anything but formatting the links and text, but I noticed Dreamweaver 2004 MX tries to use CSS for all the page formatting, and I am ot fond of that at the moment. I'll have to look into it though since it's probabl easier to just link every page to a CSS file if all the pages will have the same look.
JayBee
But the problem is, when you want to size anything. The box models are diferent, so I must use hacks and they aren't valid CSS. So, is any posibility for me? I thing no Sad
littlegiant
eday2010 wrote:
I haven't had IE cause any problems with my CSS code in my pages. It appears a tad different than in Netscape/Firefox, but it's nothing that throws the design off...

Actually it depends on how you build your web pages. IE can display pages dramatically different from Gecko-based browsers if you start defining widths of your DIVs in pixels and then throw some padding and borders in. Generally you're going to run into a lot of problems (especially if you're creating a tableless design using a whole bunch of floats) unless you force IE into Standards Compliant mode by using the DOCTYPE switch at the top of all your pages:

Example using HTML 4.0 Transitional:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
Fusion
CSS it probably the easiest way to design a website. Also it's not really difficult to learn.
friscofrankie
littlegiant wrote:
eday2010 wrote:
I haven't had IE cause any problems with my CSS code in my pages. It appears a tad different than in Netscape/Firefox, but it's nothing that throws the design off...

Actually it depends on how you build your web pages. IE can display pages dramatically different from Gecko-based browsers if you start defining widths of your DIVs in pixels and then throw some padding and borders in. Generally you're going to run into a lot of problems (especially if you're creating a tableless design using a whole bunch of floats) unless you force IE into Standards Compliant mode by using the DOCTYPE switch at the top of all your pages:

Example using HTML 4.0 Transitional:

Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"
   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

Doesn't really work either. if you use PHP you can have the differences handled by differnt stylesheets. just check what browser is being used and link to that style sheet.
usng three sheets
One master
One for IE
One for all the others.
you can also code the SS so that one page fits all if you're careful. i started with three sheets on my page then worked on getting one for all. eventually I got it to work.
I had to give up a few things I wanted but the page is OK for it.
budazz
any new topic?... Sad
littlegiant
Quote:
Doesn't really work either.

Yes, you're right. Even after forcing IE into Standards Compliant mode, it still misbehaves in certain situations. But instead of browser sniffing and drawing up separate stylesheets, I find it a lot easier to use the 'Star Selector hack' which only IE sees. What you do is write a 'normal' CSS rule set for other browsers and then follow it with a special rule set that only IE will read.

Example:

Code:
.exampleClass {margin-top: 10px;}
* html .exampleClass {margin-top: 5px;}

In the above, all other browsers will apply 10 pixels to the top margin of exampleClass containers while IE will only apply 5 pixels to the top margin of exampleClass containers. This is because IE doesn't recognize the html element as the root element (as it should) so it thinks it can correctly combine it with the CSS universal selector "*". Other browsers will ignore the second rule set.

This is my favorite hack and I have found it very useful.
bnbrown
If I use a simple table on the site I can use position:absolute

But what if I use this:
Code:
<table height="100%" width="100%"><td align="center">content</td></table>

I tried relative but it is not a good solution, I also tried spans but that also try to kill me. What shall I use if I want to position an element exectly where It is supposed to be in a middle table.

thx
markgil
in that case ur table of content will be exactly on the center but the problem is...if u put some image on it ur image will look funny as it stretch ...in this case you must cut the image or table in 1px to 10px thats depends on the image what your making on it... Laughing :
friscofrankie
littlegiant wrote:
But instead of browser sniffing and drawing up separate stylesheets, I find it a lot easier to use the 'Star Selector hack' which only IE sees. What you do is write a 'normal' CSS rule set for other browsers and then follow it with a special rule set that only IE will read.

Bbuilding myrecent website I was developing on linux ad after weeks of coding loaded the thing up on my test location. Then my lady firend trys it. man! all over the page!! Major ugly mistakes; in IE.
So I read about a few hacks such as you mention. And still decided to tweak acuate code until it owrked for all browsers without relying on buggy code or Non-standard hacks. The page displays nicely and after a bit of tweaking (admitting defeat on getting a footer to display at the bottom of the view port and STAY there) I've got a page that displays almost identically in IE FF or Opera. It also works nicely in text browsers such as Lynx and links. All but one heavily scripted page is XML and XHTML (strict) valid. Thing is, when the new veersions of these browsers come out I won't have to run behind rewriting the page because i relied on non-standard hacks.
I still load the two files depending on the browser. It's not necessary but will simplify future maintainers lives greatly.
The look and feel of the page can be changed easily without resortig to "hacks" The content can be changed. The webmaster can now concentrate these items and not worry about non-standard code and how it affect his page.
littlegiant
Quote:
Thing is, when the new veersions of these browsers come out I won't have to run behind rewriting the page because i relied on non-standard hacks.

Hmmm... Interesting.. But what exactly do you mean by 'non-standard hacks'? Because the hack I describe above will validate with the W3C CSS Validator (albeit it will register as a warning).

On the other hand, if you're describing a situation where, for example, IE7 breaks ranks from previous versions and starts recognizing <html> as the root element (as is projected) then it's no problem because what it will do is simply ignore the Star Selector hack completely and use the original styles declared by the user for other browsers.
PatTheGreat42
I've never heard of Good Ole' Internet Explorer killing CSS.

The absolute bestest thing about CSS is that if you want to change the look of your website, it doesn't require going through and changing every single page.

You just have to change one file!

I think http://www.w3schools.com/ is good at teaching CSS.
digibluez
CSS is the new WEB 2.0
I first was maeking all my templates with tables before i started to like it.now i could not imagine to make a webpage wihtout them.

Only one problem is there,how do we kill Internet explorer for good.
Have to get rid of microsoft somehow? ...
sylviakowalski
cool! this is all so helpful Smile