FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Best suspense movie of all time?

gandalfthegrey
What in your opinion is the best suspense movie of all time?
gandalfthegrey
Here are some of my favorites:

- Rear Window
The classic Hitchcock film staring Jimmy Stewart

- Mute Witness
The best modern-day suspense film I have seen, and which you probably have not heard of

- Misery
The film version of Stephen King's classic novel, staring Kathy Bates
deanhills
"Along Came a Spider" with Norman Freeman

"Hostage" Bruce Willis

"Silence of the Lambs" Anthony Hopkins and Jodi Foster

"Sleeping with the Enemy" Julia Rogers

"The Hand that Rocks the Cradle" Rebecca De Mornay

"Guilty as Sin" Rebecca De Mornay and Don Johnson

"Malice" Alec Baldwin and Nicole Kidman

"Point of no Return" Bridget Fonda

"The Vanishing" Kiefer Sutherland

"Copycat" Sigourney Weaver

"The Juror" Demi Moore and Alec Baldwin

"Primal Fear" Richard Gere and Laura Linney

"Kiss the girls" Norman Freeman and Ashley Judd

"Still of the night" Roy Scheider and Meryl Streep

"The other side of Midnight" Susan Sarandon
LostOverThere
I'm so surprised no-one's mentioned Alfred Hitchcock's 1958 film Vertigo yet! Not only is it one of the finest films of all time, it's also an incredible suspense thriller. Everyone should take a look at it. Smile
deanhills
LostOverThere wrote:
I'm so surprised no-one's mentioned Alfred Hitchcock's 1958 film Vertigo yet! Not only is it one of the finest films of all time, it's also an incredible suspense thriller. Everyone should take a look at it. Smile
I liked it, but it's kind'a old, and moves VERY slowly. Also, I'm not really much of an Alfred Hitchcock fan. But having said that, I've seen Vertigo a few times. It does grip a person in an uncomfortable kind of way. Very Happy
jwellsy
What's the difference between suspense, thriller and horror films?
LostOverThere
deanhills wrote:
I liked it, but it's kind'a old, and moves VERY slowly. Also, I'm not really much of an Alfred Hitchcock fan. But having said that, I've seen Vertigo a few times. It does grip a person in an uncomfortable kind of way. Very Happy

Oh yeah. One recommendation I would make to anyone who hasn't seen it, is to watch it all in one shot. If you do, you'll like get tangled up in all of the obsession and coils. Stopping it half way makes you realise how absurd it all is. Wink
deanhills
LostOverThere wrote:
deanhills wrote:

Oh yeah. One recommendation I would make to anyone who hasn't seen it, is to watch it all in one shot. If you do, you'll like get tangled up in all of the obsession and coils. Stopping it half way makes you realise how absurd it all is. Wink
I haven't thought about it, but you are absolutely right. I remember I was half watching one of the Hitchcock's movies some while ago, then taped the rest, and then when I got back to the movie, it did feel absurd. Have you tried to improvise these movies in your studio yet as I can imagine they must have some terrific editing and improvisation possibilities? Smile
mplankbball
I haven't seen any of those that were listed, but No Country for Old Men is good.
watersoul
The original 1979 version of "When a stranger calls" is totally creepy and full of suspense.
I'd definitely suggest a look if you can, what it lacked in special effects it certainly made up for it with darkness and suspense Shocked
deanhills
I thought the movie with Clint Eastwood in "Play Misty for Me" was also quite suspenseful.