FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

avira antivirus

Tony The Tiger
My mother mentioned avira antivirus and suggested that I cancel my Norton Antivirus subscription. What is the word on this software?
menino
I heard about avira antivirus, and finally downloaded it last week, and installed it on my old PC.
It was quite light on resources, but didnt update the virus database - I think you might have to register and enter a registration code - which is free.

BUT, the only problem was that it didn't detect a trojan that's been seeping in my pc since a long time.

I downloaded a free scanner from http://housecall.trendmicro.com

downloaded the beta, and it actually detected the trojan and cleaned it.

Norton also didnt detect the trojan, nor did AVG, which were heavy in resources.. Sad

I dont know if trendmicro is the best, because it is not that popular, but I've got to try bitdefender as well, and see if that is better.
emanuel2
all in all I have made good experience with it. So IMHO its the best free antivir program (for windows). Just what is a little bit annoying is that when it updates itself, a pop-up appears. Thus minimizing for example the game you are playing...

However you can block this pop-up. In the internet there can be different solutions found to solve this pop-up.
weableandbob
I use Avira, and it works great. It doesn't slow down my computer, it has thorough protection, and it updates quickly and regularly. I haven't tried Avast or AVG, but I would say it's definitely among the top free antiviruses.
menino
Avira is not that bad.
But I think the best is still probably Eset, the new version..
I tried AVG, but that also slows down the system, and don't really know if it is that effective.

Avast is good, but its been heavy lately.
Tony The Tiger
menino wrote:
Avira is not that bad.
I tried AVG, but that also slows down the system, and don't really know if it is that effective.

I am assuming you are comparing the universe of free anti-spyware software programs. However, I do not know what is meant by the phrase "good, but its been heavy". What does it mean for software to be heavy at times? This makes little sense to me. If there is such a thing as heavy, I can not imagine how it could exhibit this characteristics at times and not at others. If something is slow, you would not say it has been slow lately. Please explain yourself more clearly for the non-technological reader such as myself.
menino
Tony The Tiger wrote:
menino wrote:
Avira is not that bad.

I am assuming you are comparing the universe of free anti-spyware software programs. However, I do not know what is meant by the phrase "good, but its been heavy". What does it mean for software to be heavy at times? This makes little sense to me. If there is such a thing as heavy, I can not imagine how it could exhibit this characteristics at times and not at others. If something is slow, you would not say it has been slow lately. Please explain yourself more clearly for the non-technological reader such as myself.

By "Slow", I mean it uses more memory as resource to run and do its tasks.
Also it scans for file activities which happen regularly in the PC, so during that course of time, it uses up the time to scan each file being accessed or changed by the Windows Operating System, or the applications that are running.

For the Technical guys, ESET Antivirus was built using assembly language; at least that is what I heard in the beginning.
The newer antiviruses are probably built using a gui interface and then made into n exe file with different libraries, which then makes it slower than the ones executed built in assembly language.
Assembly language is a low level programming interface, which makes dependencies on libraries much lesser than those by other compilers.

I do hope that explains at least a bit, but if not, let me know, and I'll try a little better. Smile
jmfernandez
Hi Tony,

First, make sure that the installer for Avira Anti-Virus (AAV) you downloaded if up-to-date. Second, you have to make sure that you're connected to the internet. Third, check your Windows Firewall to allow the incoming packets. Fourth, you have to make sure that AAV is running on start-up. If not, you have allow the AAV to run on start-up. Hope it helps you. God Bless.
uzzy22
I tried every AV, avira is excellent detect more then Nod, I recommend it
Tony The Tiger
uzzy22 wrote:
I tried every AV, avira is excellent detect more then Nod, I recommend it

What do you mean by detected more than Nod. Is this more technical terminology or is it a competing antivirus software program.
Tony The Tiger
menino wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
menino wrote:
Avira is not that bad.

By "Slow", I mean it uses more memory as resource to run and do its tasks.
Also it scans for file activities which happen regularly in the PC, so during that course of time, it uses up the time to scan each file being accessed or changed by the Windows Operating System, or the applications that are running.

For the Technical guys, ESET Antivirus was built using assembly language; at least that is what I heard in the beginning.
The newer antiviruses are probably built using a gui interface and then made into n exe file with different libraries, which then makes it slower than the ones executed built in assembly language.
Assembly language is a low level programming interface, which makes dependencies on libraries much lesser than those by other compilers.

I do hope that explains at least a bit, but if not, let me know, and I'll try a little better. Smile

O.K. but now could you explain the term heavy. My question was about the word "heavy" not the word "slow".
Abhishukla
no doubt avira is a great antivirus as its free version takes care of most viruses than any paid anti-viruses. But one problem which i noted in avira is it deletes all the .exe files of your pc. as it treats all.exe files as virus.
silverdown
Avast and Avira are the only two I will use
Avast Laptop and Avira Desktop and Norton on my new computer i just got, i will probably uninstall after the free 60 days and get Avira.

The ones I will not use are AVG and Macfee or whatever it's called.
Tony The Tiger
silverdown wrote:
Avast Laptop and Avira Desktop and Norton on my new computer i just got, i will probably uninstall after the free 60 days and get Avira.

I am not understanding your statement, which I think is ambiguous. Which one are you going to uninstall?
emanuel2
Tony The Tiger wrote:
silverdown wrote:

I am not understanding your statement, which I think is ambiguous. Which one are you going to uninstall?

I have the same problem. I really don't get what you want to tell...
william
emanuel2 wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
silverdown wrote:

If I may, I believe he means that his new computer has Norton installed on it. Generally when Norton is bundled with a new computer, you get 60 days to use it for free, then you have to pay to continue using it. He is just saying that after 60 days, he will uninstall Norton and then install Avira.
Tony The Tiger
william wrote:
emanuel2 wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
silverdown wrote:

If I may, I believe he means that his new computer has Norton installed on it. Generally when Norton is bundled with a new computer, you get 60 days to use it for free, then you have to pay to continue using it. He is just saying that after 60 days, he will uninstall Norton and then install Avira.

O.K. so why is one program a preferred selection on a desktop configuration and a different one on a laptop. I have never heard of a software that specializes in either laptops or desktops.
portoskt
i just installed avast free, and for now i like it a lot... computer is still fast enough
flamepjlh
"My mother mentioned avira antivirus and suggested that I cancel my Norton Antivirus subscription. What is the word on this software?"

avira has a free edition.

If you use that in your personal computer, avast free edition is recommanded.

Laughing Laughing
silverdown
I have Norton security 2011 installed on my new computer ill be switching to that free free-av.com (Avira) once my 60 days is up Smile! I had it for 3 years on my computer, caught a lot of infections on files not one trashed my computer. I did however reinstalled windows XP twice to fix a few windows update problems, all in all its a great free anti-virus , unless you considering to pay for it then I assume you get more protection.... which is awesome too
achowles
If you're still looking for advice on this then I'd definitely recommend Avira (free) over Norton any day.

But personally I find that Microsoft Security Essentials is better still. Yes, that's free too.
loyal
I can't believe someone pays for anti-virus or anti-malware when there are so many good free alternatives out there!

I personally use microsoft security essentials because it is light, and rarely ever bothers me with a popup or notification.

Peace.
Tony The Tiger
loyal wrote:
I can't believe someone pays for anti-virus or anti-malware when there are so many good free alternatives out there!

I personally use microsoft security essentials because it is light, and rarely ever bothers me with a popup or notification.

Peace.

I have had to reformat my hard drive so many times that I just don't want to take any chances with spyware.
loyal
Tony The Tiger wrote:
loyal wrote:

Peace.

I have had to reformat my hard drive so many times that I just don't want to take any chances with spyware.

Well paid protection doesn't guarentee that. There is plenty of good protection out there that is just as good as the paid stuff. And it's by reputable companies that have been making it for years and are trusted.
welshsteve
I've only tried to use this once and it didn't work too well so I returned to Comodo Internet Security. I would also recommend the following:

Microsoft Security Essentials - funnily enough this works well with Windows
Avast
SultanMA
Used avira from a long time. And change my antivirus to kaspersky ,, it showed that i has about 320 virus and Trojans ,,,
Tony The Tiger
welshsteve wrote:
I've only tried to use this once and it didn't work too well so I returned to Comodo Internet Security. I would also recommend the following:

Avast

Can you please elaborate on the specific types of security issues that you experienced during your short-term trial.
welshsteve
Tony The Tiger wrote:
welshsteve wrote:

Avast

Can you please elaborate on the specific types of security issues that you experienced during your short-term trial.

I wouldn't say they are security issues as such, more the fact the program took an age to launch and just crashed my computer over and over again (it was the only software change during this time, not even windows updates so had to be the culprit). As soon as I booted into safe mode, removed the software, then rebooted again, my machine was fine. It was at that point I decided to install Comodo Internet Security instead. All was fine after that.
ms_j
^ I had a similar problem with Kaspersky. My computer crashed every 10 minutes. The second I got rid of it, everything was fine. On the other hand, I had no issues with AVG, but it slowed down my fathers computer. I don't think the problems are just with anti-viruses. It has something to do with the combination of anti-virus and the rest of the computer. Razz
Tony The Tiger
welshsteve wrote:
Tony The Tiger wrote:
welshsteve wrote:

Avast

I wouldn't say they are security issues as such, more the fact the program took an age to launch and just crashed my computer over and over again (it was the only software change during this time, not even windows updates so had to be the culprit). As soon as I booted into safe mode, removed the software, then rebooted again, my machine was fine. It was at that point I decided to install Comodo Internet Security instead. All was fine after that.

Was this a problem that you believe many others have experienced. What type of operating system were you using, what was your hardware configuration did you have at the time.
Tony The Tiger
ms_j wrote:
^ I had a similar problem with Kaspersky. My computer crashed every 10 minutes. The second I got rid of it, everything was fine. On the other hand, I had no issues with AVG, but it slowed down my fathers computer. I don't think the problems are just with anti-viruses. It has something to do with the combination of anti-virus and the rest of the computer. Razz

This sort of answers my question above.
welshsteve
My hardware config was pretty modern as the machine run Comodo very easily with no issues, and later on Kaspersky Internet Security, again with no issues.

The only thing I can think that caused the problems was maybe a compatibility issue with the firewall I installed (PC Tools)
mukesh
my currently OS is windows 2008 Server R2 and i am using Avast Server its working fine.
loremar
Avira is not a bad antivirus but I would suggest using Avast. Avast had overall protection and has been proven to have high detection rates on viruses and malwares. It detects all types virus and malwares using different behaviour guards.
FunDa
loremar wrote:
Avira is not a bad antivirus but I would suggest using Avast. Avast had overall protection and has been proven to have high detection rates on viruses and malwares. It detects all types virus and malwares using different behaviour guards.

One problem I have with Avast is that I cannot tell it WHEN NOT to download updates. Sometimes, when I am browsing the internet for something important though my already slow internet connection, Avast starts updating and uses up all my bandwidth. I have to wait till Avast finishes to get some regular speed browsing done.

If I could tell Avast, "don't download anything for the next 10 minutes" that would be a great feature. Mad
chartcentral
loremar wrote:

From my experience, I'd choose Avira over Avast. Avast consumes more memory. Also, I became loyal with Avira when my and my friends' computers were infected and crippled by a virus a few years back. I tried several anti-virus software including Norton, McAfee, Kaspersky and Avast, but only Avira was able to detect and remove it. Smile
chartcentral
And Avira just prompted me to install its new feature: the web search toolbar, saying it provides additional protection. But upon seeing that it's bundled with Ask.com, I didn't proceed in having it on my PC. It works just fine without it. Smile
pirate
well in my opinion Norton anti-virus is terrible, it slows your computer down and uses up alot of it's resources. Avira is a very good anti-virus especially considering that it is free, it has a high detection rate and is rather quick.

i would recommend that you download Avira or and alternative Avast. Both are free and very good anti-virus.
mshafiq
I bought new Acer laptop and it came with McAfee antiVirus for 60 days.
Soon I will be going to Free AntiVirus.
I have been using Avat but found heavy and it slows down more as compared to AVG.
So I have been using AVG Free.
Now after your discussion I am interested to try Avia.
I will get you back with my experience of Avira on Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks and Good Luck!