FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

US terror threat highest since 9/11?

deanhills
Wonder what lies behind Janet Napolitano's statement that the US terror is the highest since 9/11 as this news story has obviously got to be a campaign to make people more security aware?
Quote:
"The terrorist threat facing our country has evolved significantly," she told members of Congress.

The US faced new threats by groups already inside the country, inspired by al-Qaeda, she said.

Ms Napolitano warned that attacks could be carried out with little warning.

[..]
Quote:
Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula and US-born Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who has been labelled a "specially designated global terrorist" by his native country, pose the most significant threats to the US, Michael Leiter, director of the National Counterterrorism Center, told the committee.

Source: BBC News
watersoul
A frightened population is a controlled population if you ask me Dean. Stay vigilant, yes of course, but no more than you normally would be in any life situation.

I grew up with the then media-monster of 'IRA bombs on the mainland', rubbish bins removed from train stations 'so bombs can't be hidden in them', visits at school from police and soldiers telling us what to report or think suspicious etc.

Government threat levels don't save people, people save themselves, with their own vigilance and common sense. If that doesn't work then it was unlucky and out of their control. Knowing what the current threat level was would have made no difference to the situation.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
has obviously got to be a campaign to make people more security aware?

Or perhaps just a campaign to get people to accept renewing the patriot act... could go either way.

I find the timing suspicious. The renewal of (certain parts of) the patriot act is voted down (because it needed a 2/3 majority this time)... it would expire very soon, but there will probably be a chance to vote for it where a 1/2 majority could win...
And then, just at the time as this is going on, a politician is giving warnings about terrorist threats.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
And then, just at the time as this is going on, a politician is giving warnings about terrorist threats.
Right, the campaign was almost too obvious, staring one in the face. Wonder whether Obama could also be paving the way for asking for more funds to beef up his troops in Afghanistan?

I also learned last night on Al Jazeera News (have not been able to find this online), that an American Diplomat, apparently in self-defense when he was being robbed at gun-point by Pakistanis in Lahore, Pakistan, killed both Pakistanis, and that seems to have created plenty of problems diplomacy wise. He is currently being held in prison and there seems to be a general anti-Pakistan and anti-American revolt in Lahore. I always thought the Pakistanis were happy with the American support, never realized that they were as anti-American as the revolt indicated them to be?

OK. I've found the story:
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/lahore-shooting-pakistan-refuses-release-raymond-davis/story?id=12811866
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I always thought the Pakistanis were happy with the American support

I'd imagine that there's quite a bit of disagreement between individual Pakistanis about that.
Surely some like it, and surely some don't.
standready
deanhills wrote:
I always thought the Pakistanis were happy with the American support,

The Pakistan government is very happy with all the money the United States puts in their pockets.

As for Ms. Napolitano's statement, just trying to get more funding for her department instead of having the funding cut because of less threats.
deanhills
standready wrote:
The Pakistan government is very happy with all the money the United States puts in their pockets.

As for Ms. Napolitano's statement, just trying to get more funding for her department instead of having the funding cut because of less threats.
Guess Ms. Napolitano's objectives are not that different from the Pakistani Government's then .... Wink