FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

iPod decharge

Tony The Tiger
I connected my iPod to my laptop today and it decharged my iPod until the Apple symbol came on. In stead of seeing the charging symbol, it showed the fully charged symbol while it was connected. This never happened before. Then, I unconnected the iPod from my laptop and connnected the charger directly to the power source and it started charging.
rjraaz
May be your USB cable damaged, just try to borrow a USB cable from friends or relatives to check after changing the cable problem removed or not.

If after changing USB cable it will not get discharged that means your USB cable surely damaged and have to replaced.
menino
What generation and type is your ipod?

I used to have a 3rd generation ipod, and it stopped charging from the pc usb port, so I bought a dual port charging unit, which charges the ipod, and also connects the ipod to the pc at the same time.
This was after the battery mysteriously started working for only a few minutes at a time, and had to be constantly kept on the charger. Sad

The main disadvantage was that, the ipod was not portable anymore.

I took it to an apple showroom and they said they could not replace the battery Sad(
Tony The Tiger
I restarted my computer and it is now recharging fine. I don't know what happened. For some reason, at times my USB ports don't charge my iPods unless I restart the computer. I have just never had them decharge an iPod before.
rjraaz
Tony The Tiger wrote:
decharge

What do you mean by this term is this discharge if so please correct it.
weableandbob
Judging by the fact that it works fine when you restart it, I think Windows is having some difficulty with the USB ports in general.
pll
Charging stuff from a laptop is always bad because the electricity comes from the battery of the laptop and not a real source of energy, this could be the cause.
Tony The Tiger
weableandbob wrote:
Judging by the fact that it works fine when you restart it, I think Windows is having some difficulty with the USB ports in general.

Actually, when I plug it in, it tells me that I need to restore my iPod. I am not sure it is my laptop or Windows. However, I have had to send my laptop in for repair because of USB problems.
pll
Try it on another computer you'll see what's wrong (ipod or laptop).
ProwerBot
Sometimes windows will not recongnize an iPod, it's done that to me on my old shuffle and my old iPod touch. It might be a matter of updating iTunes, or getting a better computer. I had a machine with P4 and 512mb ram and it wouldn't restore my iPod touch. Now I have a better computer and it works just fine.
Tony The Tiger
pll wrote:
Try it on another computer you'll see what's wrong (ipod or laptop).

I am reformatting my hard drive, which is somewhat of an ordeal. Although I have reformatted on the Windows Vista and Windows XP operating systems several times in the past, this is my first time on a Windows 7 system. I will also try to restore my iPod after I get iTunes running. After that, I will attempt to register it with Apple, which I have yet to do even though I received it using online poker frequent player points last fall. I think you get 90 days of service with a newly registered iPod.

I also have an older generation iPod classic that seems to be having the same problem with some of the ports on this laptop. It seems to be a laptop issue.
Tony The Tiger
ProwerBot wrote:
Sometimes windows will not recongnize an iPod, it's done that to me on my old shuffle and my old iPod touch. It might be a matter of updating iTunes, or getting a better computer. I had a machine with P4 and 512mb ram and it wouldn't restore my iPod touch. Now I have a better computer and it works just fine.

My primary computer is a 2010 Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV7 laptop. I don't know its specs, but it was pretty much state of the art in terms of RAM and such last April. Oddly, the iPod connects normally on my 2003 Dell Inspiron 8200.