FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

msdebug problem

ms_j
Here's the thing: I am writing this from home, but this problem exists at my work. So I (probably) can't give all the details right now. But maybe somebody will know what I should do.

So my bosses computer keeps "attaching" these two files on flash drives: msdebug and autorun. Now, the trouble starts here, that I don't know the extensions right now. But I will check them tomorrow.

We had an "autorun" problem before, several times actually. And we solved it with NOD anti-virus. But we can not get rid of these. They are just not recognized as viruses. And they must be, right?

Anyway, any thoughts based on this info.
tdossi
At best, you delete the startup (autorun.inf) file at home from your USB stick. Then the problem at work is gone.
ms_j
Hmmm I don't think you understood me, or I don't understand you. I do not have this problem at home. It is just my bosses computer (at work) that is, I guess, infected. That thing, whatever it is, is not invading other computers. Because, whichever flash drive we plug into other computers, nothing happens. But when we plug them into bosses one, those two files appear. We tried deleting them and formatting the flash drive. They disappear, until...
sonam
Is this hidden (blur) files or normal files. If is hidden maybe you just don't see it on your computer because this option is not checked. On boss computer (if you are on Windows) is maybe autoplay have some setting what is different then on other computers. And, on the end, how I remember but maybe I am wrong, with NOD you can remove in chest any file (virus or not).

Sonam
ms_j
I totally forgot about this. I though it would be nice to say what the outcome was.
So, it was a virus. Trend Micro PC-cillin picked it up. I didn't install it on every computer though. The virus created a start-up running process. The file was in the system32 folder. I just stopped the process, deleted the file from system32 and deleted registry entries, there were 3 or 4. We did not have this problem since then.
FunDa
ms_j wrote:
I totally forgot about this. I though it would be nice to say what the outcome was.
So, it was a virus. Trend Micro PC-cillin picked it up. I didn't install it on every computer though. The virus created a start-up running process. The file was in the system32 folder. I just stopped the process, deleted the file from system32 and deleted registry entries, there were 3 or 4. We did not have this problem since then.

Good that you were able to solve this problem.

I had similar problems with many different viruses not being identified my Norton and even NOD32.

But I did the same thing you did.

Just found and stpped the virus process, deleted the files and deleted the registry entries.

To be safe, I also put a hidden folder named "autorun.inf" in the USB.
It prevents the virus from overwriting the autorun.inf file
What you create has to be a folder to prevent the virus from deleting and replacing it.

Curiously, viruses can delete files named autorun.inf but not the folders.