FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Posting about cracking?

D'Artagnan
ok, i have a legitimate problem that can be solved thruogh password cracking, the problem is no one will help me - of course, it's cracking - i was hoping someone could allow me to post it here on the forums so someone could help me - i mean i'm using the service from a long time i have no need to jeopardize my account just to get some password from a rar, this is a real problem i'm trying to solve

i'm so desperate that i posted an unespecific question of the softwares forum:

http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-123003.html
ocalhoun
The main concern would be about other people reading it and abusing the information...

There are whole forums about this kind of thing out there, perhaps it would be best to ask at one of those?
D'Artagnan
ocalhoun wrote:
The main concern would be about other people reading it and abusing the information...

There are whole forums about this kind of thing out there, perhaps it would be best to ask at one of those?

I hardly know any forum that would welcome such a question, since its a necessity call and not an hobbie/study call, every single guy would tell me write your own program, and i just cant afford to spend the time doing so right now, i hardly have the time to post here anymore Sad

is there any chance i'll get banned if i ask about cracking and how to find such a software, or it's only the topic that risks getting closed... what i'm not willing to do is lose the hosting
Ghost Rider103
Have you lost the password to your Frihost hosting account?

If so, a simple PM to Bondings will probably solve it.

Otherwise, if it doesn't have anything to do with your Frihost account/hosting, then it probably shouldn't be discussed on the forums.
Bondings
By my knowledge the actual cracking/guessing of a password is not illegal. Of course if you do it on a file of someone else without their permission, I guess it becomes illegal.

Anyway, I assume you want to retrieve the data of a rar archive that you lost the password for. The only way to do that is to guess the passwords and try them until one of them works. There is a lot of software that does it, I found a "crark" one on Google which is freeware. Anyway, this will use a dictionary to search for common passwords and then probably start with all possible combinations. If a strong password was used (over 6-8 characters, not one word) it is going to take extremely long to guess it, meaning you are out of luck. If you really need it, then you can run it in parallel on Amazon on GPU's to get it a lot faster. But even then a strong password will take way too long.
ocalhoun
Bondings wrote:
But even then a strong password will take way too long.

There might be other ways though...

Do password-protected rar files actually encrypt the data?
If not, then it may be possible to simply bypass the password. (with the right software)

If it actually is encrypted, then yes, you'll probably need a supercomputer (and still a lot of time) to crack it.
adri
@ocalhoun: Of course Winrar uses an encryption. They use a 128-bit AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) key.

Quote:
The encryption algorithm was changed to AES (Advanced Encryption Standard)
with a 128 bit key length starting with WinRAR 3.0.

The US Government created an encryption standard several
years ago, called the Data Encryption Standard (DES).
It has been widely used both in government circles and by banks.
The government has recently replaced DES with the
Advanced Encryption Standard (AES).
One cryptologist has said that assuming that you could recover a
DES key in a second (trying 2^55 keys per second),
it would take the same machine approximately 149 trillion
years to recover a 128-bit AES key.

So I think it would be better not try to find the AES key but rather the password to decrypt the file(s).

adri
D'Artagnan
Quote:
By my knowledge the actual cracking/guessing of a password is not illegal. Of course if you do it on a file of someone else without their permission, I guess it becomes illegal.

Anyway, I assume you want to retrieve the data of a rar archive that you lost the password for. The only way to do that is to guess the passwords and try them until one of them works.

the problem is very specific, i have a very limited set of passwords i generated, it's not a rar or anything i could pass through a common cracking software that's why i'm wish to ask, maybe someone more acknowlegdeable then me would know the specific bit of software that i need.

I know it's a pretty interesting topic, but i don't want to go offtopic here guys... so i ask again

is there any chance i'll get banned if i ask about cracking and how to find such a software, or it's only the topic that risks getting closed?
what i'm not willing to do is lose the hosting, can i ask that question without risking my beloved account here?

Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Otherwise, if it doesn't have anything to do with your Frihost account/hosting, then it probably shouldn't be discussed on the forums.

It think it is about frihost since i'm asking for permission to break a rule, as stated in the TOS i should do if i feel there is a chance i have an exception to the rule.

C) Hosting rules
Any of the following is strictly not allowed, unless stated otherwise.

i believe i'm in the right forum:
"Questions and support about everything on Frihost, except for our web hosting."

Wait, you're a ghost!!! Aaaah! Shocked

BOO
Ghost Rider103
I didn't mean you were off topic.

I simply meant if the password has nothing to do with your web hosting account or Frihost account (which obviously isn't the case), then you probably shouldn't bring it up.

In other words, if you were looking to retrieve a password for a Facebook account, I wouldn't recommend posting it.

But that isn't the case, and Bondings seems fine with it.

Whether or not you'll get banned, I'd have to say your chances are slim, especially since you asked about it first.

Will you get a warning? Probably wouldn't get a warning either.

But that's my opinion on it. One of the other mods may have a different point of view... if they do, I certainty wouldn't object.
Bondings
@D'Artagnan, go ahead and post it, I'm getting curious about what it may be. At most we'll remove the topic.

By the way, I wouldn't call retrieving a password "cracking" (in most circumstances). Cracking involves malicious intent.
D'Artagnan
Quote:
In other words, if you were looking to retrieve a password for a Facebook account, I wouldn't recommend posting it.
well i would never do that, - i would actually try to hack in the persons email and reset the password, much easier Rolling Eyes Razz

Bondings wrote:
@D'Artagnan, go ahead and post it, I'm getting curious about what it may be. At most we'll remove the topic.

By the way, I wouldn't call retrieving a password "cracking" (in most circumstances). Cracking involves malicious intent.

Well there i posted it,
http://www.frihost.com/forums/vt-123003.html

any help will be greatly apreciated!
ProwerBot
Cracking passwords to stuff that you own would have no reason to be illegal in any form.
toasterintheoven
I would try doing it to myself first, just to get the encryption decryption process down, intercepting packets and what not, happy cracking!