FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to know if I should change job ?

pll
I'm afraid.

I don't know what to do because I had my job for something like a year now (I'm in customer service&sales) and I was very happy doing this until today, I mean I'm still motivated to go to work but I think I need new goals and new challgenges, and the job is not the best pay I could get.

I just had another occasion for another job still in the customer service & sales but it will be by phone (At the moment I am face to face with the customer) and this job pays really well.

So, any advice on if I should move to the new one or not ?
The thing I like in the job I have now is that it's stable and I don't know if I will be able to find the same stability in the other job. But from the other hand I'd want new goals...
watersoul
Jobs 'for life' are the stuff of history books now.

I'm sure you'll work in many different fields/employers/jobs before you retire so I say go for it.
If it interests you and it pays well then why not. I've always had the view that I prefer to try and fail at something than grow old and wonder in hindsight 'what if I'd tried that'.

Only you know what you want to do, and if you feel drawn to this new position now you will always wonder 'what if' if you don't pursue it. Good luck anyway Smile
standready
Do more research on the company you are thinking of going to to see how stable the job will be.

You can always create new goals and challenges for yourself outside of job.
deanhills
pll wrote:
I'm afraid.

I don't know what to do because I had my job for something like a year now (I'm in customer service&sales) and I was very happy doing this until today, I mean I'm still motivated to go to work but I think I need new goals and new challgenges, and the job is not the best pay I could get.

I just had another occasion for another job still in the customer service & sales but it will be by phone (At the moment I am face to face with the customer) and this job pays really well.

So, any advice on if I should move to the new one or not ?
The thing I like in the job I have now is that it's stable and I don't know if I will be able to find the same stability in the other job. But from the other hand I'd want new goals...
If you like your job, I would stick with it a little longer. Maybe you can enroll in courses and then get a better idea of what you would like to specialize in.

Getting experience on the phone would be very valuable experience. But also very boring. Would be great if you could rather have a combination of that with some other aspects of client service and marketing. I did the telesales stuff and it nearly drove me looney tunes. I then kept myself motivated with creating a contact database, and doing the phoning in an organized way, including jotting a record of the phone calls and progress that has been made. Nothing beats the real customer service however. That is where the greatest networking always takes place. I find unless you know people that people are very resistant to blind phone calls. You have to be able to offer them something first, like a free seminar with plenty of information that they can relate to and need, and free drinks and eats, and then once you have given them something, and real business cards have been exchanged, then the phone calls can be easier.
coolclay
That is a tough one. If your getting bored already working there for only a year, it will probably only get worse unless you find a way to keep it fresh and interesting. But at the same time, future employers will look at your past experience and if you hop from job to job every year, may not hire you based on that. Unless I end up doing something I really don't like my personal rule for myself is to stick it out for 2 years, and then at that point if I still am not happy than move on. Of course I haven't gotten to that point anywhere I have ever worked so we'll see if I stick with that rule!

Also if the same thing is going to happen at another job, but the other pays more, than you might as well be unhappy making more $, than unhappy making less $. Of course being happy trumps it all IMHO.
jfussion
If you know you can start a company and you can bit the company your working.. Twisted Evil
pll
jfussion wrote:
If you know you can start a company and you can bit the company your working.. Twisted Evil

It would be great but I just can't lol!
Thank you for your advices ! I found a way to see what I'll do :

I'm off from school in something like a month(yeah, I'm a student), so I'll try the new job for the summer but I'll keep the one that I have already on the week-ends.

So I'll make 20 hours by phone and 20 hours face to face with the customer... What could be better ? Cool
menino
Yep... when you feel something to change yourself and your routine, in the job, and you get bored of it, and the money is not the issue.... it is time to change the job.

But if your starting your own business, its bet to get all the information ou can from the current company you're working for.
drunkenkoz
Well for me I was working at a pharmacy up until recently. Since I graduated highschool not to long ago my parents wanted me to go out and work full time to make money. After a year I stopped enjoying the job at the pharmacy and wanted to move into another field, as in go to college and study.

Your life is what you do with it. You only have one life, so live it to it's fullest. If I were you I would go find the job that makes you happy, but keep the current one you have until then.
nigam
If you still love your job, continue to work with them....but if it finds you not motivating anymore, don't quit first...instead...search for a job that you think that pays bigger from your current company and know the company too if its stable or not....
mengshi200
If you can not find interesting ,you should change your job.
Insanity
I say go for it. Doesn't really matter if it's by phone.
sketteksalfa
in this world our life are not permanent!!!
we need to improve our self!! it's not mistake if you failed! failure is not a hindrance to our success!! we are working to have a experience and just to have a better one! go and take care of it!!
therimalaya
I also have similar problem, thanks all for these valuable suggestions.
nickynarak
sketteksalfa wrote:
in this world our life are not permanent!!!
we need to improve our self!! it's not mistake if you failed! failure is not a hindrance to our success!! we are working to have a experience and just to have a better one! go and take care of it!!

Good Embarassed
rogue_skydragon
watersoul wrote:
Jobs 'for life' are the stuff of history books now.

I'm sure you'll work in many different fields/employers/jobs before you retire so I say go for it.
If it interests you and it pays well then why not. I've always had the view that I prefer to try and fail at something than grow old and wonder in hindsight 'what if I'd tried that'.

Only you know what you want to do, and if you feel drawn to this new position now you will always wonder 'what if' if you don't pursue it. Good luck anyway Smile

I whole-heartedly agree with the above reply. Wondering "what if" will probably itch at your psyche later down the road.
Greatking
when you find yourself working in an environment that is not in line with your carrier dreams then i guess its time to change jobs.
or you can go for a change of jobs when there is no job satisfaction.
or change of job comes in play when you get bored with the same old routine and you are looking out for a change of scenery.
Ryox
AS the others said, If you don't find it interesting and you are not motivated for your job position than you should search the new job that pays for bigger and if you are interested you should go ahead and apply for it to see if you can't get that job than take a 5 day notice to your Old Employer about you quitting so they can find a new Employee.
pll
Yeah I'll try both jobs! Thanks to all!
Insanity
Do something you love! Life is too short to be spending 8 hours a day doing something you absolutely abhor. Take it from me.
vidafenomenal
just when you feel you want. Of course if you have had enough money to buy foods.
portoskt
if you wake up in the morning, and you dont want to go in your office, then is time to find new job for sure ))
friho
actually i feel it's not a good idea to change a job ,you know there are more and more college students and competing is violent.in a word,every time you are going to change a job you have to think over.
yannpapa
When your boss is not giving you any assignemnts-projects
portoskt
if you wake up in the morning, and you dont want go to your work... time is to start thinking about change it
These people must see whether you like the job, then this work is to bring you happiness and material needs...
amagard
Lifehacker wrote some month ago: "Job quitters are the happiest people around", and How to Deal with Soulless Careerists

One risk with new jobs: they often look more attractive than your old job because often job descriptions are not really realistic; once you really start the new job you realize that it might not be that much better than your old one, or even worse. You start seeing all the nasty details nobody told you about before.
If you are too deep into problems with your current job it is natural to believe things will become better in a new one. The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

Make sure you really looks at advantages and disadvantages when changing your job.

Written by someone who staid with the same company for more than 30 years now, not necessarily doing the same job all the time though.