FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Using After Effects

eday2010
I want to start learning how to use After Effects for various things, and have some questions. When I export a clip to be included on a Blu-ray, does it keep the same level of quality as the original clip without ballooning the file size? I am not sure if I will be using Premiere or something else for the video rendering and authoring, so I am wondering if it exports to a high quality relatively uiniversal file without ballooning the file size. Can After Effects be used for editing video? I know it's best to use something like Premier, but can it be done in After Effects?
catscratches
As with all video editing, if you want high-quality clips, expect huge filesizes. After Effects doesn't really edit videos (in the way of eg. VirtualDub), you have to render them, which means that the original videocodec, or anything else about it, isn't kept.

You can edit videos in After Effects (I do), but expect huge files and long rendering times.
Ghost Rider103
You will get great quality, however your file size will be quite large.

It's pretty difficult to get real high quality and a low file size. Especially if you're working in a very large resolution/canvas size.
LostOverThere
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
It's pretty difficult to get real high quality and a low file size. Especially if you're working in a very large resolution/canvas size.

Pretty much this, obviously it all depends on the codecs you use (incidentally, H.264 is generally fairly compact) but as a rule, the larger the file, the better the quality.
drunkenkoz
For video editing a good program to go with would be Sony Vegas Pro 9. It's a great video edit/creating program. It's big and has a lot of potential and can do almost anything you need it to. Sony Vegas works great with Adobe After Effects too. I use both when ever I'm creating a montage for a game.
eday2010
I was hoping that After Effects would keep the file size around the same. I don't mind the ballooning file size as long as the quality remains the same.

Another question: let's say I am putting together my Blu-ray in Premiere, adding clips to the timeline, cutting them up and all that. Then I come across one clip that I want to use some kind of funky effect that After Effect can do. Does AE and Premiere work together the way Dreamweaver and Fireworks do? Will a right-click menu give me an option that says "Edit in After Effects"?
ProwerBot
High quality video = High file size.

That's pretty much how it's going to work, so you will have to compromise. If you don't mind then that's good.
eday2010
Can anyone point me to some sites that has some top notch tutorials? I am specifically looking to recreate the flying video gallery from the Wrestlemania XXVI intro.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ul6LlMyxRA#t=03m48s[/youtube]

The video starts where the effect that I want starts (3:4Cool. It continues until 5:02, with key things I want to do at 4:22 (the videos in the background traveling along a spiral path), 4:47, and and 4:50, the tiny videos start forming the logo. If I could find tutorials to do similar things, I would be very pleased. I found one on how to do a video wall, but I want to be able to move a bunch of different video and image objects as a particle swarm.[/youtube]
carlosgaucho
eday2010 wrote:
Can anyone point me to some sites that has some top notch tutorials? I am specifically looking to recreate the flying video gallery from the Wrestlemania XXVI intro.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ul6LlMyxRA#t=03m48s[/youtube]

The video starts where the effect that I want starts (3:4Cool. It continues until 5:02, with key things I want to do at 4:22 (the videos in the background traveling along a spiral path), 4:47, and and 4:50, the tiny videos start forming the logo. If I could find tutorials to do similar things, I would be very pleased. I found one on how to do a video wall, but I want to be able to move a bunch of different video and image objects as a particle swarm.[/youtube]

check this website http://www.videocopilot.net/basic/

there i learned the basics..
eday2010
I already had the link bookmarked. I plan to go through it once I have a computer capable of running After Effects efficiently. I was curious as to how difficult the things I wanted to do were.
rista_junior
If u are itresded in something particulary, search it on youtube, wound some good turtorials there.

If u are looking for Idea look on you tube for Film Riot
Robert_Redbeard
The Video Copilot link is a great resource. The gentleman Andrew Kramer that runs the site works in the film industry and really knows his stuff. I have learned a great deal from his tutorials and his blog. His plugins are first rate stuff as well as his content packs.

Anyone using After Effects should go to this site and learn something.
Ghost Rider103
eday2010 wrote:
When I export a clip to be included on a Blu-ray, does it keep the same level of quality as the original clip without ballooning the file size?

The same level of quality will be saved, yes. However I can't really comment on the file size. Generally the better quality, the bigger the file size. So it will probably be a bit bigger than normal, but I'm not sure if it will make that big of a difference. I've never personally done this.

Quote:
Can After Effects be used for editing video? I know it's best to use something like Premier, but can it be done in After Effects?

Yes I believe so. Depending on what you are doing, it may be harder to do certain things in AE than it would to do them in AP (Adobe Premier). But you should be able to do most things in AE.

Hopefully this takes care of your questions.
Robert_Redbeard
After effects is mostly used for compositing videos. But I use it for editing and dioing titles and effects. It's not the most user friendly program for editing but it is ery powerful.

I am a total novice but with a little research and time put into practice, I can do some pretty amazing stuff. I hae been working on my own 30 second intro to use fro my YouTube videos the last couple days.

I use a technique called Procedural composition so when I am done I can use any of the title effects to generate any title screens I want. All I have to do is go into the Precomp that holds the Text or images in the title and change them. Then the program automatically applies all the effects and animations I used to do it for me. Very cool stuff.

I will post a thread with an example of what I have been doing in a day or two.
Robert_Redbeard
http://youtu.be/ikjoDmOJcCI

Here's a short intro project I did for my youtube stuff. The interesting stuff is done in after effects.

I'll be doing more.
Robert_Redbeard
OMG! This new Desktop Computer I just bought makes using After Effects a dream. I went from taking thirty minutes to render a project I was working on with my old computer to it only taking four minutes on this new one.

Everything works better. when I get some extra RAM for it, the thing is going to be insane fast. I can't wait.
Robert_Redbeard
Since I have been making new stuff for YouTube, I have been looking up what is best to render in for uploads. They are pretty detailed about it.

From that little bit of learning, I would suggest that when you are sure of where you are going with your video projects, that you simply do some searching on google and find out what other people are doing to solve the same problems that you are having.

That is exactly what I did. I was havign a problem with file size and upload times to YouTube. So I googled it and did some reading on the subject. I am sure there are many people out there doing somewhat the same thing you are doing. So learn from them what you can. I have found it to always be my best bet.
celebi269
You can also see this site http://ae.tutsplus.com/. They have great After Effects tutorials.