FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Buying extra space or bandwidth with coins?

darkeagle
I think, buying extra bandwidth or extra space for our host will be nice.
Isn't it possible?
Bondings
At the moment it is not possible. Maybe in the future I might make an option to increase space and/or bandwidth in the sense of x Coins/year (or Frih$/year).

You are currently hosted on server 1, which still has the 250MB limit. This limit is scheduled to be increased to 500MB, it might take a while though.
darkeagle
Thank you for reply,
I just thought it for users to be more active in the forums...
GoldenEagle
Kind of along those lines, I think we really just need more things to spend the coins on. As I mentioned in my "FRIH Coins as a Model for Undervalued Currencies : We're all poor":

Most people aren't actively pursuing the free domain (or at least not at full throttle). Since that's the only real thing that's worth getting with the coins, no one is accumulating them and there's no market for them at all. People who don't want domains don't earn the coins, while people who want domains have to deal with accumulating the coins the long way (ie posting) without the ability to really negotiate with the other members. Thus we're all poor. Look at how the marketplace forum is literally dead.

I'm not sure what sorts of things we could buy with the coins, but we're gonna need something if we're expecting the coins to hold some value on here.
deanhills
GoldenEagle wrote:
Kind of along those lines, I think we really just need more things to spend the coins on. As I mentioned in my "FRIH Coins as a Model for Undervalued Currencies : We're all poor":
You can also spend it in the Market Place. The Market Place has been quiet relative to when I first started here in 2008, but you could get Frihosters to design logos, banners, coding, etc. etc. for you and pay them in coins/Frih$.

If you don't want any advertising to show on your pages, you also have an option in your accounts page to disable ads in return for coins. And you can ask for a directory listing of your Website. Those are all available in your Accounts page.
truespeed
The best way to do the extra space thing would be to have all four servers giving out differing amounts of space.

Basic package which everyone should be on to begin with.. server 1 = 250mb

Then upgrade depending on the amount of coins paid to the other servers,most sites won't need too much space though so i am not sure how many people would be applying for upgrades.

server 2 = 500mb
server 3 = 750mb
server 4 = 1000mb

I think buying extra bandwidth would be more useful for most than extra space.
GoldenEagle
truespeed wrote:

This is actually a really good point and suggestion. I'm afraid even before designing my site that 10GB won't be enough to support it.
truespeed
GoldenEagle wrote:
truespeed wrote:

This is actually a really good point and suggestion. I'm afraid even before designing my site that 10GB won't be enough to support it.

10gb isn't to bad to start,its more than you think,plus if your site starts getting near the limit,chances are your getting enough traffic to cover paid hosting. (Providing you have adsense on your site)
Bondings
truespeed wrote:
GoldenEagle wrote:
truespeed wrote:

10gb isn't to bad to start,its more than you think,plus if your site starts getting near the limit,chances are your getting enough traffic to cover paid hosting. (Providing you have adsense on your site)

Indeed, it's very unlikely that you would use more than 10GB per month. Very few accounts come close to it. It will probably be changed soon to 15GB anyway.
GoldenEagle
What about the size?

I just kicked off my phpBB forum today with a few Beta testers and I'm already running at 497.41 KiB according to the phpBB statistics.

I'm not sure what the Ki prefix means (K is the generally accepted prefix for 1000), but at this rate, I'll probably be over 250mb by the end of the month!

Please tell me I'm reading something wrong!
saratdear
GoldenEagle wrote:
I'm not sure what the Ki prefix means (K is the generally accepted prefix for 1000), but at this rate, I'll probably be over 250mb by the end of the month!

KiB stands for Kibibytes, i.e 1024 bytes.

Kilobytes can be used to mean 1000 or 1024 bytes, depending on the context, so Kibibytes was introduced.
GoldenEagle
saratdear wrote:
GoldenEagle wrote:

KiB stands for Kibibytes, i.e 1024 bytes.

Kilobytes can be used to mean 1000 or 1024 bytes, depending on the context, so Kibibytes was introduced.

Thanks for the insight! I always knew that computers had the numbers a little off from the standard, but I never really considered that a new prefix needed to be made. I deleted a lot of the forum "bloatware" that comes with the core phpbb download and the storage is not really a relevant problem for now. Bandwidth on the other might be a problem for anyone looking to drive a fairly high traffic so I'm completely in the "more" bandwidth camp now. Razz