FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


3000 MB Disk Space





tientavu123
I'd like 3000 MB Disk Space Very Happy
I was going to add a phpBB3 forums and a Wordpress.Org blog and a IRCd server
Nameless
I'd like an elephant. It's not gonna happen either.

/be happy with what you can get for free.
Ankhanu
Nameless wrote:
I'd like an elephant. It's not gonna happen either.

/be happy with what you can get for free.


Hehe, this is pretty much what I was gonna say. Not so keen on the elephant though Wink
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
Hehe, this is pretty much what I was gonna say. Not so keen on the elephant though Wink
Agreed. But perhaps one can turn this into an opportunity for getting people to post more, one could say that if Frihosters reach 50,000 posts of reasonable standard, have shown the ability to put an above average Website together that has been consistently maintained, consideration might be given ...... Question

Or. Has shown the ability of creating an above average Website and that their proposal for additional space is justified and has merit, and can then be given the opportunity of purchasing additional Megabytes with coins, i.e. 1000 coins for x MB. Make it quite expensive.
Ankhanu
deanhills wrote:
... perhaps one can turn this into an opportunity for getting people to post more, one could say that if Frihosters reach 50,000 posts of reasonable standard, have shown the ability to put an above average Website together that has been consistently maintained, consideration might be given ...... Question

Or. Has shown the ability of creating an above average Website and that their proposal for additional space is justified and has merit, and can then be given the opportunity of purchasing additional Megabytes with coins, i.e. 1000 coins for x MB. Make it quite expensive.


I believe it's been mentioned in some other threads on disk space that the current allotments are based on maximums allowed by the software used to run the servers. If that's the case, people wanting more are SOL.
metalfreek
It's too much to ask for a free web hosting. I am pretty happy with what I have. Running a simple wordpress blog is good enough for me.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
I believe it's been mentioned in some other threads on disk space that the current allotments are based on maximums allowed by the software used to run the servers. If that's the case, people wanting more are SOL.
I did not know that. Thanks for the info. Makes sense. So could the servers run say three different standard sizes, and it be called Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced? Not all people need 500MB when they first get Website space. One could start with 150 or 250MB. Then once a certain number of additional postings have been achieved and there is a Website up and running that the Mods can have a look at, upon application, increase the size to 500MB. And then for the truly advanced guys who obviously are good at making Websites and have put forward a very good proposal that justifies more space, and have a solid presence on the Board, make it 1GB. More than 1GB sounds a bit unrealistic for free Webhosting.

metalfreek wrote:
It's too much to ask for a free web hosting. I am pretty happy with what I have. Running a simple wordpress blog is good enough for me.
Agreed. Especially for Free Webhosting. For commercial Webhosting that would be quite expensive as well.
Ankhanu
IIRC, one or two of the servers are running such that they can/do offer larger allotments. Of course, to set up a different level system would require a major upheaval of established accounts and re-allotment of accounts to different servers; no small task. Most accounts would fall under the lower tier of user, so that server would have to be able to handle almost all of the web traffic.

Those who deserved the larger allotments would then have to have their accounts transferred to the upgraded server, likely screwing up DNS paths and, well, everything else that's location based.

In short, it would be a nightmare.
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
In short, it would be a nightmare.
Well then that does not sound practically feasible. Would one be able to maintain the status quo, and start the three level system say at X point for new applicants only, and then work the existing users in one application at a time? Or would every one have to be on a 3-system basis from the point the change is made?
Ankhanu
The addition of a new, larger server would have no impact on current users, unless integrating it to the server system required changes in the existing servers. This isn't usually necessary though. This is like when Server 2 might be down, but Server 1 is still serving. The difficulty is moving accounts between servers and maintaining everything associated with the account.

I'm not a networking or server expert in any way, so I could be way off base Razz I have run a personal server a couple times in the past, but never anything with other user accounts over multiple systems... Not only do I not have experience in that area, but my experience with running a web server is several years out of date Razz
deanhills
Ankhanu wrote:
The addition of a new, larger server would have no impact on current users, unless integrating it to the server system required changes in the existing servers. This isn't usually necessary though. This is like when Server 2 might be down, but Server 1 is still serving. The difficulty is moving accounts between servers and maintaining everything associated with the account.
OK got it, thanks Ankhanu. Looks like too much hard work. Unless there is a good objective or plan attached to it, it would not justify the effort.
Related topics
diference btwn bandwidth and discspace?
Domain Disk Space
DISK Space
Low disk space
disk space
Disk space
Disk Space
Increase the disk space
Broken disk space moniter
Using Too Much Disk Space
Incorrect total disk space used (Solved)
INCREASE YOUR DISK SPACE
What?it says the disk space and bandwidth is unlimited?
How much disk space is required for Linux?
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.