FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Acne Advice

nativehealth
I have been taking antibiotics, inciuding Vibra-Tabs, Minomycin and Mysteclin, for acne for many years. These keep the acne under some control, but it never completely clears up. If I stop them, the acne flares up terribly. I am worried that the antibiotics may cause my bouts of depression, and can they cause a low sperm count?
truespeed
Maybe try some Native American Nutritionals instead.
deanhills
nativehealth wrote:
I have been taking antibiotics, inciuding Vibra-Tabs, Minomycin and Mysteclin, for acne for many years. These keep the acne under some control, but it never completely clears up. If I stop them, the acne flares up terribly. I am worried that the antibiotics may cause my bouts of depression, and can they cause a low sperm count?
I would be worried too, hopefully your doctor has done some blood tests as long-term use of anti-biotics could have negative consequences.

Have you tried Omega 3 fish oil capsules? Or cod liver oil? Supposed to be really good for your skin.

I had good results with VegEPA (from the UK), which is a combination of a purified version of the fish oil and primrose oil, but that is really very expensive. Here is an article on VegEPA's use for acne:
http://igennus-hn.com/fish-oils-in-the-combat-against-acne-addressing-the-cause/
gandalfthegrey
I just recommended this in another forum discussion, but:

Accutane. It is just a derivative of Vitamin A.

It cured my acne and removed almost all my scars when I was younger. It's 100% safe unless you get pregnant while taking it, or are already depressed. I was depressed prior to taking it, and it did not make me more depressed.

Paula Begoiun (Author of The Beauty Bible) is the one who convinced me to take it, and recommends it in her book.
annielizstan
Always use new fresh towels.
Eat a healthy, balance diet.
Don't pop your pimples.
Drink more water.
Use oil free products.
metalfreek
Its really frustrating. I have few Acne too and I cannot seem to get rid of it permanently. But here are few things that keep mine in check
1. drink a lot of water
2. wash your face regularly I mean at least 4 times a day.
3. Don't use soap. I find that soap used in face increases it.
XchaosX
I took this acne medicine for 6 months its called Acutane and it really works it gets rid of all acne including scares but the downside is during those 6 months you will have extremely dry skin I would wait till summer is over I took it last summer and I could not do simple stuff outside without getting sun burned if you do decide you want to do it now where sun screen everyday and your chlestrool gose up so its somthing that you would need to see a dermatologist for and you need blood work done you might put on some weight but its well worth it in the end.
XchaosX
My bad I did not see someone posted about Acutane but I will leave the post up because there is stuff that was not mention on the second post
Benton
These keep the pimples under some management, but it never absolutely opens up up, If I quit them, the pimples flames up really, I am concerned that the medications may cause my fights of depressive disorders....
mustatab
Accutane is very good medication for acne. Or do herbal. One is to crush any beans or lentils and add little water and mix to make it like a paste and then rub it on your face or back. Leave paste on for 40 minutes then just wash with plain water. You will do this 2 times per day and will see the difference in 3-4 days. In developing countries where creams and medicines are expensive this is a very known treatment. If you could add some aloevera paste then it will will be more smooth. scars will also decrease with time
Nick2008
I would generally avoid antibiotics and pills unless you deem them absolutely necessary. Almost every person had acne at one point or another in their life, it's nothing serious or out of the ordinary. There are many remedies that can be used to alleviate acne and some methods work better for certain people. Try different remedies and treatments until you find one that works for you.

Some ideas I've heard of are baking soda + raw honey, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, crushed asprin pills, and toothpaste - all of which are applied on the face (or wherever you have acne). There are tons of websites and blogs dedicated to finding methods of alleviating acne.
Arnolde
Hi Nativehealth,
To treat acne add vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds more in your daily meals and drink more water than daily routine and manage stress with regular workouts. Reduce or limit refined carbohydrates, sugar intake and avoid caffeine, alcohol and smoking.
Dominicq
Hi nativehealth,
To cure acne drink plenty of water, eat more vegetables and fruits and limit daily intake of dairy. Use natural, organic, non-toxic face soap and keep your hair out of your face. Avoid too much sun exposure and use moisturizer regularly.
moncong
some factor cause acne:
meal
stress
genetic
lifestyle

eat healthy food, reduce oily food or fried
maintain stress of work or other
workout 2hours a day will keep you healthy
Wink
ges_89
i think that avoiding oils products is a mistake... while your skin is dry, it produces sebum to moisturize...aaaaand pores get clogged. i've cured my acne by using argan oil... it contains a lot of vit E, so it heals acne and reduces scaring... after a two weeks, i noticed that my skin became cleaner and softer, after a month it was really nice:)
mainul
Most of us have been in a situation where an ugly red spot has appeared the day before an important event or date. The question is: can you do anything about it without having to indulge in expensive medication? Here is one home remedy that can be useful: take 2 tablespoons of honey + 1 teaspoon of cinnamon mix together until they are thoroughly blended and have formed a sort of paste. Apply the mask to your face (or spot treat) and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse off completely, and pat your face dry. This is a sticky mixture, so make sure you have some paper towels at on hand. Hope this will help you to <SPAM URL REDACTED>
Bikerman
I'm going to call bullshit on that. Honey and cinnamon? Native American cures? What is this? The dark ages? Jeeez....
Acne is part of being a teenager for most people. In some cases it is more serious and needs treatment - in which case you need to go to a doctor and get some PROFESSIONAL help.
Slapping honey and spices on your skin is not going to solve the problem. Nor is listening to the amateur ramblings of people with no expertise in the matter.....

.....oh my....the stupid...it burns, it burns...
BigGeek
I will tell you I would totally be concerned with being on any antibiotic for long term use. First off Bacteria will develop resistance to the antibiotics used long term and the use of another stronger antibiotic is the eventual result. Second - they kill off all your friendly bacteria and let's face it we are pretty much a conglomeration of trillions and trillions of friendly bacteria cells - killing them off with long term antibiotic use has been shown to have adverse side effects. So my suggestion would be to avoid the antibiotics if at all possible.

Next - I'm going to skip any comment on skin applications of any kind - especially the odd ones. Although I will say in defense of Honey that the medical community uses dark honey for problem case wounds and skin infections that have difficulty recovering - it has to be raw honey - pasteurized honey won't work. I was totally surprised a few years ago to see this - but what it's effect on acne could be I couldn't tell you.

Last - I would speak to my medical professional and if possible get tested for allergies - many acne problems have been cured by removing allergens from a persons diet.
playfungames
Acne problem was a serious one for me during my teenage and early youth. They just popped up all the time. I still remember how miserable I felt with all those acnes covering my face. I tried visiting the doctor and he used to prescribe me some medicine.

There were some tablets and some cream that the doctor always prescribed. It worked for me as long as I consumed them. Once, I stopped, the acnes started showing up again. For me acne was a genetic thing. My mom had it during her teenage years and so did I. Mine was more in numbers.

I still get acne till this day and I'm in my late 20s. I don't do anything for it except exercise and drink water. I've read instructions on the internet to sleep on a fresh towel over our pillows and use a separate towel for our body and face after showering. May be you should try those. I have marks on my face because of my teenage years acne problem Sad.
Sivara
gandalfthegrey wrote:
I just recommended this in another forum discussion, but:

Accutane. It is just a derivative of Vitamin A.

It cured my acne and removed almost all my scars when I was younger. It's 100% safe unless you get pregnant while taking it, or are already depressed. I was depressed prior to taking it, and it did not make me more depressed.

Paula Begoiun (Author of The Beauty Bible) is the one who convinced me to take it, and recommends it in her book.

Nice to hear a positive experience with Accutane. I have been thinking about going on it for a while. I'm in my early 30's and my acne just seems to be getting worse. I would LOVE to be able to go out of the house and do simple things without makeup. I'm a long-time user of Paula's Choice products, but have finally scheduled an appointment with the doctor about my acne. Unfortunately, I think I will have to try a bunch of other things before they let me go on Accutane, so I might be waiting a while. How severe was your acne and how long did it take to clear? Do you have any recommendations for moisturizers to cope with the dryness?