FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Financial Liability of Organizing Meetups for 20+ People

If you organize an event for many people involving food and drink a la carte, what is your level of obligation to stay through the event?
Stay through the whole event to make sure it runs smoothly and bills are paid.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stay through the whole event or plan a handoff to someone else who has equal responsibility in making sure the event runs smoothly and bills are paid.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Leave whenever, as long as your own bill is covered.
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 1

mexiwithacan
I'd like to organize a meetup for 20+ people where we can eat and drink as we please while socializing and enjoying any other activities (e.g., darts, billiards) offered by the venue. However, what can I do to make sure that everyone has a good time and that no one gets stuck with a large sum of unpaid bills at the end of the night?

A few ideas I came up with are:
  • Require credit cards up front and only give the card back when the person is ready to leave and has paid his or her share.
  • Ask everyone to pay a "cover charge" which will include unlimited pitchers. Anything additional would be paid for by each individual.

Any suggestions on how to balance fun with financial liability?
deanhills
If I were you, I would make an up front arrangement with each and everyone that they will be billed directly for what they order, that includes eating and drinking. There should be a firm understanding with the Pub/Restaurant/Meeting proprietor/Waiters that the responsibility for getting payment would be the proprietor's. So the proprietor would have to work out how to make sure he gets paid. One tab per person, and settled directly, as he would have had to do if everyone had arrived separately.
mexiwithacan
deanhills wrote:
There should be a firm understanding with the Pub/Restaurant/Meeting proprietor/Waiters that the responsibility for getting payment would be the proprietor's.

That's a very interesting point, deanhills. I'll definitely chat with the venue about this, and I will give it a try for the karaoke event I have in mind.
standready
Just make sure everyone understands that they are responsible for their food and drink and the staff understands this also. NO tabs, pay as you go!
Have fun!