FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

SMS Ticketing System

medesignz
I am looking at ways to create an SMS ticketing system using premium rate messaging services and a unique code.

I can do this no problem, BUT i would need it to be scam proof, so nobody could forward an SMS msg to a friend and get in for free...

How do you think I can do this?
watersoul
Some friends of mine did this a few years ago for some club nights they were running. They were pretty confident that by looking at the 'sender' of the text on the phone they could weed out the 'forwarded' messages. It didn't work though because some scamming people sent themselves SMS via an online system that allowed them to mask the number.

I don't know what to suggest really, apart from a database that you cross-reference from a laptop or something at the door?

Good luck with it though fella.
medesignz
One way I have thought is by sending them a unique code, and that code will be attached by a number... So at the door, I can call the number, and that should call the person. BUT that could take time, and just become an annoyance.
watersoul
medesignz wrote:
One way I have thought is by sending them a unique code, and that code will be attached by a number... So at the door, I can call the number, and that should call the person. BUT that could take time, and just become an annoyance.

I remember having almost the exact same conversation with my mates, you're right, it would get annoying, both for you and the queue of people waiting.

Sorry I can't give you any foolproof ideas, we ended up going back to the old-school printed tickets and wristbands for the boat parties here, but thats easy because there's plenty of time to plan them. A weekly club night (or whatever) is different.

You could stick with the unique code sent to the mobile idea though - check it on a laptop or whatever at the door, if someone has been stupid enough to forward their code to someone else then they lose out, same as if they'd given their paper ticket to someone else, it can only be used once.
It could cause problems though, anything digital can be disputed - especially by drunk people! Laughing
medesignz
As all my events are 18+ I can probably get away with a unique code, an online validation form, a printout, a clipboard and a photo ID.

Did you ever try that?
watersoul
We never tried that, but the photo ID is a good idea, how about people text a picture of themselves to the premium rate number when they make the purchase/buy the 'ticket'?

Still needs a laptop or something at the door to check it though.
medesignz
I don't think I want a laptop on entry... Good old fashioned clipboard and pen for me I think
watersoul
medesignz wrote:
I don't think I want a laptop on entry... Good old fashioned clipboard and pen for me I think
Yep, definitely makes more sense with alcohol around and the associated sillyness that brings!
medesignz
total total silliness haha
k_s_baskar
Try some Bulk sms feature which will allow you unique sender id.Smile
medesignz
the sms service i will be using, shall be able to provide the unique codes
k_s_baskar
medesignz wrote:
the sms service i will be using, shall be able to provide the unique codes

You can generate unique codes using API usaually avail with bulk sms providers.
medesignz
yep, thats what they tell me Smile
k_s_baskar
medesignz wrote:
yep, thats what they tell me Smile

I know some isp are giving bulk sms service where you can send sms from website, API's (Application program interface, desktop application, excel plugin etc.,). With unique Sender ID's.
If you send a ticket to a mobile, message sender name will be masked with your sender id ie (YOURBIZ) so that you can identify that the message was send by you to a particular number directly from you.
unfortunatly i don't know world wide bulk sms provider or country specific bulk sms provider for india you can test this with 10 free sms from http://sms.hostzero.in
medesignz
k_s_baskar wrote:

I know some isp are giving bulk sms service where you can send sms from website, API's (Application program interface, desktop application, excel plugin etc.,). With unique Sender ID's.
If you send a ticket to a mobile, message sender name will be masked with your sender id ie (YOURBIZ) so that you can identify that the message was send by you to a particular number directly from you.
unfortunatly i don't know world wide bulk sms provider or country specific bulk sms provider for india you can test this with 10 free sms from http://sms.hostzero.in

Thanks... I am going to be using txtlocal which I think is UK based Smile