FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Needs Some Make Over Tips!

rjraaz
I have completed my Engineering and now i am teaching in college.

But whenever i tell someone that; they do not believe on me. I think that is all of due to my dressing sense, etc. and they start to laugh on me.

So i going to decide to have some make over is i really need it or just leave those peoples on their own way.

it just start of my professional life till today did not think about all of those good looking aspects and never care of my self just did spend my all time with books.

Suggestion needed from serious peoples spammers please keep your self away.
adri
I don't know if you have long hair or something but most people find short hair much more appropriate for highly placed persons. Wearing a suit is also always a good idea. Smile

Having a beard (not a long beard but just some hair) will make you look older too. Smile (Most people don't like persons who are above them while being younger, having a beard will make you look older)

adri
rjraaz
adri wrote:
I don't know if you have long hair or something but most people find short hair much more appropriate for highly placed persons. Wearing a suit is also always a good idea. Smile

Having a beard (not a long beard but just some hair) will make you look older too. Smile (Most people don't like persons who are above them while being younger, having a beard will make you look older)

adri

i think have go through my teaching profession but peoples not even believe that i that much qualified until i talk to them.

is really looks; shows our qualification.
watersoul
Be who you want to be I say.

You've earned your position from your studies and hard work, not how you look, I wouldn't care what anyone thinks as long as you are clean and tidy.

I've had a similar issue throughout my working life, I've always had some stubble on my face and a 'skinhead' hair cut (1-2 millimetre length), and yes it's caused me difficulties sometimes with management suggesting I conform to whatever the 'normal' look is.

I never have conformed, and never will. OK, I'll wear clothes appropriate to the job, but the length of my hair on my face or head is up to me. I'm paid for what I do and how well I do it, not how I look, and being forced to shave my face or whatever is crossing a line in my mind.

It's caused me difficulties for sure, but my freedom and free will is more important to me than the acceptance and blessing of others, so I shall continue as I always have. If you want to 'conform' then do so, it's your choice, but choose for yourself, not others.
Your skills at the job you do is how you should be judged, not so much how you look.

...and remember, you were hired for the job looking as you do now, why should you change after starting the employment?
rjraaz
watersoul wrote:
Be who you want to be I say.

You've earned your position from your studies and hard work, not how you look,

But sometimes their behavior disturbed our mind.

watersoul wrote:
why should you change after starting the employment?

start of employment has not stopped my social life, so how i could avoid all these type thinks.
deanhills
I'd dress to please myself. If people don't believe you, that should be their problem, not yours. If you want to make the make over for yourself. No sweat. If you think a make-over is going to make you feel good, great stuff.

If I were you, I would check what people are wearing around you, and if you like what they are wearing, ask them where they buy their stuff from. And what they can suggest. I rarely see engineers with suit and tie, unless they are pitching for contracts or wheeling and dealing with clients. Then they go for suits. Engineers are generally dressed smart-casual wearing dockers, nice open-neck shirt and loafers with socks. They usually keep one or two ties behind their door, just in case it may be needed for a last-minute lunch with a client. I rarely see them with t-shirts at work, unless it is casual Friday. Friday's are usually jeans and t-shirt days unless appointments have been set up with clients. A professional hair-cut would probably be a good idea with minimum of jewelry, preferably none.
standready
deanhills wrote:
I'd dress to please myself. If people don't believe you, that should be their problem, not yours.

I agree. If people you meet outside your classroom don't believe you are qualified, have them visit your class.

deanhills wrote:
I rarely see engineers with suit and tie, unless they are pitching for contracts or wheeling and dealing with clients.

As an engineer, I won't even wear a suit (tie maybe) when dealing with clients because we usually end up out in the production area.