FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Irish government gone down the drain

Lennon
http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0121/politics.html

Apparently the Irish taoiseach Brian Cowen doesn't know how to work with a coalition party, reassign ministers, sort out the government priorities and how to listen to the public cry of the Irish asking him to step down.

How many of the politicians will get back in government, how many more are yet to say they quit and won't contest the premature election in March this year.

What's going to really change in the Irish future now that the recession and the banks have us tied to the IMF/EU bailout?

Hope/Faith in the government, does it still exist in a reasonable, rational as well as appealing fashion?
deanhills
Maybe the younger citizens should go into revolt and chase all those guys who had made you complicit in the debt out of the country? If one really argues the ethics of this, those guys had committed fraud, as did they ask your permission for making you responsible for Government debt for many years to come in the future? Had there been a referendum of a kind when they made the decision, i.e. did they go out to all the citizens of the country and ask for their permission? If not, then of course it could not have been a democratic decision. When the representatives in Government voted for that decision, it was not clear what the citizens felt like about the commitment that they had made on their behalf. And at the time when the decision was made did you have a completely 100% transparent and clear picture of how the financial problems had happened, exactly who had been responsible on the international scale, whether bailouts were the only option, exactly who would be bailed out, and who not, and why. The bailout decisions were taken very fast, and irresponsibly fast, especially given the large sums of money it involved of the citizens of the country, and no one stood up and asked, is this the only option we have? Nor once the bailout had been completed did any one stand up and ask where the bail out money went to, i.e. spreadsheets with proper accounting in them. For example, the bailout was supposedly going to help the citizens get back on their feet. Have you seen any evidence of that in Ireland? Or was it more like the big banks staying solvent and very quickly doing well on the stock exchange again? And once they were doing well on the stock exchange, did they make it easier for the citizens to obtain loans, or keep their properties? I don't think so. I'm surprised there are not large class action suits against the Government for not acting in good faith with regard to the bail outs. I.e. the bail out money was supposed to help the man in the street on its feet, by bailing the Banks out. As far as I can see only a select group of very wealthy Banks got bailed out. How did they get to be chosen, and by whom?
coolclay
I haven't been up to date with anything in Ireland, but I just did some reading and wow, what a situation. I guess Cowen resigning as FF leader is better than nothing. He is going to be replaced in a matter of weeks anyway. If he was to resign 7 weeks before the election who would take his place? Would an interim Taoiseach be voted in?

I understand that he should resign as a matter of principle, but would there be a benefit this close to the election to fill the position with someone without experience?
menino
Its sad about the politics in Ireland.
I always admired the leaders before of Ireland, but I guess corruption rears its ugly head everywhere.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
I haven't been up to date with anything in Ireland, but I just did some reading and wow, what a situation. I guess Cowen resigning as FF leader is better than nothing. He is going to be replaced in a matter of weeks anyway. If he was to resign 7 weeks before the election who would take his place? Would an interim Taoiseach be voted in?

I understand that he should resign as a matter of principle, but would there be a benefit this close to the election to fill the position with someone without experience?
I wonder whether anything is going to help really, as it is almost a check mate situation. Can a country declare bankruptcy? Or do as the countries in South America did in the nineties when they just simply defaulted on their loan payments?
coolclay
Exactly