FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How to use Wi-Fi and DSL router to a single Broadband line

rjraaz
I have 2 laptop with wifi and 2 pcs with lan card and iphone to use Internet on all of my devices have to use both Wi-Fi and DSL router.

Is there any way that i can use both Wi-Fi and DSL router on a single Broadband Connection.
FunDa
I wanted to connect and use internet on 2 PCs and a laptop at the same time. Initially, when I tried to connect, I could use internet on only one device at a time.

Only one of them would actually connect to the internet. the others were in a local LAN.

But this was when the connection had to be started by using a username and password to login.

Later I changed the settingsin the router's settings page to auto login and entered the username and password in the router itself.

Once this was done, all the devices that could connect to the router were automatically connected to the internet.

So, for you to do thius, go thru your router's setting's page and look for autologin.

I had done this a long time ago, and currently am not using that set-up but I'm pretty sure that's the only setting I had to change.

If that's not enough, maqybe u'll have to go theu the uPNP and such settings too.
rjraaz
FunDa wrote:
I wanted to connect and use internet on 2 PCs and a laptop at the same time. Initially, when I tried to connect, I could use internet on only one device at a time.

Only one of them would actually connect to the internet. the others were in a local LAN.

But this was when the connection had to be started by using a username and password to login.

Later I changed the settingsin the router's settings page to auto login and entered the username and password in the router itself.

Once this was done, all the devices that could connect to the router were automatically connected to the internet.

So, for you to do thius, go thru your router's setting's page and look for autologin.

I had done this a long time ago, and currently am not using that set-up but I'm pretty sure that's the only setting I had to change.

If that's not enough, maqybe u'll have to go theu the uPNP and such settings too.

Thanks for your reply but that is not my problem

i want to use internet through wi-fi and dsl router both simultaneously

that i can connect to internet from any of the corner of my building on lap or iphone and for other systems that are not using wi-fi can connect to internet using lan cable.

i hope you understand what is my real problem.
FunDa
Ok .. What kind of internet connection do you have ?

I thouught you would be having a single broadband internet connection which comes to a router which has WiFi capabilities.

So, any computer/WiFi enabled device which needs internet has to connect to the router, either through a LAN cable, or through WiFi.

If that is not the case, could you explain the setup of your router and internet once more .. ?
I didn't understand.
rjraaz
FunDa wrote:

I have single broadband internet connection which comes to a router which has no WiFi capabilities.
and have connected to pcs via LAN cable.

But i have IPHONE which comes with WiFi capability and as you know that we can not connect it through LAN.

So i want to another router which is comes with capability of WiFi but not with LAN cable connectivity options.

Due to this whenever i want to use internet on my iphone, other family members are not able to use internet on PCs.

Thus, i need to connect both routers one which is comes with WiFi and other one which is not comes with WiFi on a single line.

I hope now you can understand what i want to do

Even if it is required to modify hardware or firmwares of router i am ready to do so.
sonam
Maybe I don't understand your question right but I can explain my experience. I have rooter with four lan (I am not sure in number and I cannot check because I am 5000 km far away from home) and WIFI. I can normally connect two of my computers and few laps on one broadband internet connection. I haven't IPHONE but cable phone in same rooter and everything is working together. Maybe your IPHONE need some splitter. This is independent from rooter to rooter and without specifications is heavy to give right answer.

Sonam
FunDa
rjraaz wrote:
FunDa wrote:

I have single broadband internet connection which comes to a router which has no WiFi capabilities.
and have connected to pcs via LAN cable.

But i have IPHONE which comes with WiFi capability and as you know that we can not connect it through LAN.

So i want to another router which is comes with capability of WiFi but not with LAN cable connectivity options.

Due to this whenever i want to use internet on my iphone, other family members are not able to use internet on PCs.

Thus, i need to connect both routers one which is comes with WiFi and other one which is not comes with WiFi on a single line.

I hope now you can understand what i want to do

Even if it is required to modify hardware or firmwares of router i am ready to do so.

Well, that is a bad situation.

*One with only LAN ports (does it have only 1 LAN port or more or USB also ? )
*One with only WiFi, no LAN or USB

All the routers I have seen with my friends have both WiFi and LAN (Some have 4 LAN ports and WiFi, some have 1 LAN & 1 USB no WiFi, some have 2 LAN and WiFi)

The ones with WiFi cost around $20.

Easiest would be to buy one of those and use it instead of your 2 routers.

With the current setup you have, I don't think there is a way to have both.
One way I can theorize is to connect one LAN to a laptop(if you have one) and create a WiFi hotspot through the laptop.

The other LAN cable can connect to other computers.
Fire Boar
FunDa has the general idea. If you have a computer you can leave on constantly, you can set up a Wi-Fi network with the computer as the hot-spot. I've done it on my Ubuntu laptop (ad-hoc mode using hostapd) for a completely different reason: my home network is WPA2 but the Nintendo DS only supports WEP encryption so to play online I'd need another, temporary, signal with the weaker encryption.
jmfernandez
First, make sure that your broadband is connected to a wireless router or your modem is capable of wireless routing. Second, if your wireless router is already configured check the IP address scope. Third, check if your cellphones are capable of wi-fi.