FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

String theory?

Bikerman

(Just a bit of fun, from the excellent xkcd.com)
Bluedoll
I think this a completly biased point of view because it was conducted by string people.
Bikerman
ROFLMAO...nice one!
LittleBlackKitten
Is it sad that I don't get it, even though I totally understand the (basics of) string theory?...
Ankhanu
I enjoyed this one (and the current one on imaginary numbers!); IIRC the mouseover for this one was pretty good too.

XKCD is a great comic Smile
Bikerman
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
Is it sad that I don't get it, even though I totally understand the (basics of) string theory?...

Are you sure you 'totally understand' the basics of string theory? I understand a bit of the theory, but you need a very high level of maths to get a grip with anything more than a really shallow and partial analogy of it.

Explaining a joke normally kills it but:
(Super)string theory postulates 6 extra dimensions existing at every 'point' within the normal 3-d spatial 'arena'. These 6 dimensions are tightly curled-up into something called a 'Calabi-Yau' manifold.

Because of the small-scale involved, you need very high energies to 'see' such things.

The joke rests on the fact that string theory has been around for over a decade and the initial promise has failed to be realised. String theorists normally excuse this by citing the difficulties in designing an experiment to test for the extra dimensions (because they are tightly curled ....etc).
LittleBlackKitten
OH. Rofl, that bounced right over my head and I was like "But the projector giving 3D or not has nothing to do with string theory...?:

Lol, I need more sleep.
_AVG_
I actually haven't been able to understand string theory at all, no matter how hard I've tried. I just don't get it. Is there anywhere I can actually learn something, if not, at least gain a very small understanding? Also, what maths will I need to know exactly - is tensor calculus enough?
Bikerman
You could start with Brian Greene's books (Elegant Universe).

NOVA PBS have a set of vids which might be of interest
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/elegant-universe-einstein.html
icool
The first time when I heard about this string theory was whne I was in 10th standard and that is 6 years back. The string theory is quite interesting. It claims that it can explain the reason for the big bang, the possibility of extra terrestrial and a lot more science problems.
lovescience
I just saw some videos on string theory.

I am curious about this theory.

It seems that the string theory can explain everything. But it's hard to observe.
saberlivre
I think Smolin's book, The Trouble with Physics makes a good discussion about this.
Polemic but a good reading.

Sorry for my bad english.