FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

I like Elton John's stance

Afaceinthematrix
Quote:
Elton John and partner David Furnish may have fame, fortune and a loving family, but the 'Rocket Man' singer won't be satisfied until gay couples are granted the same rights as their heterosexual counterparts.

Last night at billionaire Ron Burkle's Los Angeles fundraiser to overturn Proposition 8, the new father had some choice words for those who oppose gay marriage, RadarOnline.com reports.

"I think I have it all," said the singer, who welcomed son Zachary via surrogate last month. "I have a wonderful career, a wonderful life. I have my health, I have a partner of 17 years, and now I have a son. I don't have everything because I don't have the respect of people like the church or like politicians who tell me that I'm not worthy, that I'm lesser because I'm gay, well f**k you!"

John performed a 90-minute set of both new material and his classic hits for the 750-person crowd, which included 'Glee' star Jane Lynch and her partner, Dr. Lara Embry.

During the event, which raised more than $3 million for the restoration of marriage equality, John continued to voice his frustration over the disparity between his rights and those of other parents.

"Here I am sitting with a wedding ring and I'm with my partner and we have a son, but we couldn't get married," he said.

Despite his joy over the birth of Zachary, John's road to fatherhood hasn't been without obstacles. Just last year, John and Furnish were turned down after trying to adopt an HIV-positive boy from the Ukraine, where civil marriages are not legally recognized.

John does, however, have hope for the future. "We have a right to be recognized as a human being. We have to fight the good fight," he said. "And we will win."

http://www.popeater.com/2011/01/20/elton-john-gay-marriage/

So I don't usually go to pop websites (let alone source them for arguments), but this was a "latest headline" on my browser...

I like Elton John's stance on that because it's the same as mine on many other issues. Although, mine is slightly different. Mine is, "If you don't believe in freedom, then f*** off and die you stupid b****!" Elton John basically said the first part.

I get so annoyed at all these people who don't believe in freedom. If you don't like gay marriage then don't marry homosexually! Leave everyone else alone and let them do what they want. I've said this thousands of times and I'll say it again: If what you're doing is hurting no one else, then you should be allowed to do it.

Just for fun, let's check out some of the comments:

Quote:
EJ, how dare you say F**K you to anyone who doesn't believe in Gay marriage! I am very much against it and I have a right to my own beliefs that it is wrong. The Bible says it is and I believe the word of the Lord, and don't think that God is going to sit back forever and allow this to go on. No, sooner or later he is going to intervene. I don't hate anyone, but I have the right to my own opinions. You are a fool

Do I really need to comment on this douchebag? Let me ask you something, "If God told you that it was alright to kill someone, then would it be wrong of me to call you out on that and tell you that it's wrong to kill people regardless of what your sky-fairy says?" If no, then how come the same doesn't apply towards mindless discrimination?

Quote:
What homos (oops gotta be politically correct, "gays") do in their own homes is their buisness. I just don't need to see it, be subjected to it or have it forced (aarrgghhh) down my throat.

I'm not sure how to respond to this because I'm not sure if it's a joke. Who's forcing homosexuality down anyone's throats? They just want to get married for the same reason heterosexual people want to get married (which I still haven't figured out...)/

Quote:
F**K Y** ELTON IF YOU ARE FOR GAY MARRIAGE. I AM TIRED OF THE LIBERAL LEFT THINKING THERE RIGHTS ARE THE ONLY ONE THAT COUNTS. I SAY PUT IT TO A VOTE, IF AND WHEN IT FAILS, THEN SHUT THE F**k UP AND GO BACK TO THE CLOSET !!!

LoL. No comment...

Mods: I wasn't sure if this belonged in politics or world news so feel free to move it at your discretion.
watersoul
I agree with all of the above really but certainly in the UK, Civil Partnerships (CP) between gay couples have almost exactly the same rights as hetrosexual marriage, apart from the name of the union itself, and the inability to have the ceremony carried out in a church.

My slant is perhaps unusual in the opinion that I, as a hetrosexual male, equally feel discriminated against because I may not enter into a legal CP with a female. The only option I have apart from co-habitation (with no legal protection of property rights etc) is 'Marriage' and as stated, this does have the same legal rights as CP, but I personally don't like the religious undertones of what historically has been a religious union between a man and a woman.

Apart from that offical legal name of the union, 'marriage' instead of CP, I don't really see what rights Elton John feels he is missing. Since 2007 in the UK, gay couples have had the legal right to adopt, indeed the Roman Catholic funded adoption agencies were forced by the law to conform with this or close their adoption agencies - they complied in the end.
The main reason Elton John was unable to adopt in the UK was because he is 63 years old, and that applies to all couples - gay or straight. They could still have gone for the option of an older child, or temporary fostering, but adoption is usually refused for babies here if there is a greater likelyhood of one of the parents dying of old age before the child reaches maturity. That may or may not be acceptable to some but with male life expectancy running at around 77 in this country, it's probably sensible to some degree. But is it discriminatory regarding sexual orientation? No, not at all.

Personally I would like all couples (gay or straight) to be able to enter into CP and then leave the 'marriage' thing to churches and religious groups. The individuals who i feel are the only ones to lack some specific rights are the religious minded gay couples who are still unable to have a ceremony in an Anglican church at the time of the signing of the civil partnership - it has to be carried out by an official registrar and not clergy. Saying that though, if you look at most religions closely enough you'll find many more examples of discrimination.
ocalhoun
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
Quote:
I don't have everything because I don't have the respect of people like the church or like politicians

Sorry Elton, you can't legislate respect.
You can make it legal to marry - that's fine - but that still doesn't mean you get respect.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Sorry Elton, you can't legislate respect.
Totally agreed. And I am surprised this has been brought up, as it has been repeated often enough in especially the Phil&Rel Forum that respect is not deserved.

Also, if someone demands respect, like Elton seems to have done in the quote (I can't believe that Elton would have made a statement like that (he'd probably have just showed his finger), but if he had), then the demand for respect would have lost respect, as of course one can't have respect that one demands on the grounds of not having the respect. Almost as though the demand for respect has nixed whatever respect there was.