FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Anyone here from Norway?

wellerchap
I'd like to ride my Lambretta up into the Arctic Circle one year (coming from England)....what are the best months for road conditions in the north, and hopefully in the periods when I may see the Northern Lights?
Any help....fantastic !
standready
Here are a couple of links that should help you:
http://www.visitnorway.com/us/ site is based in the United States but has great information
http://www.norway.com/ I think this is more of an official site. look under "Directory" for tourist.
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
I'd like to ride my Lambretta up into the Arctic Circle one year (coming from England)....what are the best months for road conditions in the north, and hopefully in the periods when I may see the Northern Lights?
Any help....fantastic !
Why not contact Lambretta fans in Norway? I just found this Norwegian Lambretta Club in Oslo called the Vespa Club Old Boys (aged 18 to 75 - that should cover your age I think (maybe not the Lambretta's? .... Laughing - sounds like a fun club with plenty of trips, including holiday trips. It also has a Discussion Forum that you can join:
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&langpair=no%7Cen&u=http://www.vcob.no/index.php%3Foption%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D56%26Itemid%3D71&rurl=translate.google.com&client=tmpg&usg=ALkJrhjnMY266lR7iDUH32UT1G3x6pGQuA
wellerchap
Thanks for the links, guys....I'll take a good look at those. We have an Englishman in our online Scooter Club that I'll be pestering for information; it'll be done to a pretty tight schedule (I think 2 weeks is about the quickest I'd do it in), so I'd have to plan very carefully what I do and where I go.
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
Thanks for the links, guys....I'll take a good look at those. We have an Englishman in our online Scooter Club that I'll be pestering for information; it'll be done to a pretty tight schedule (I think 2 weeks is about the quickest I'd do it in), so I'd have to plan very carefully what I do and where I go.
So is Stripey George OK with all of this ..... Very Happy
wellerchap
He does as he's told....although I may be on the other one by then - I rotate them, 4-5 years on the road at a time, and while I'm using one the other's clapped out in the shed, in need of repainting, rebuilding etc.
Me being me, I tend to leave it later than I should to get the "shed" one restored, and usually have to run the other a year longer (my theory is, if it's taxed/MOT'd/insured, then it's on the road!)
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
He does as he's told....although I may be on the other one by then - I rotate them, 4-5 years on the road at a time, and while I'm using one the other's clapped out in the shed, in need of repainting, rebuilding etc.
Me being me, I tend to leave it later than I should to get the "shed" one restored, and usually have to run the other a year longer (my theory is, if it's taxed/MOT'd/insured, then it's on the road!)
So what is the other guy's name .... let me guess ... Victor Victoria? Very Happy
wellerchap
No, no, no.........I wouldn't dream of giving "The Lilac Flash" a daft name.

D'OH !!! Confused

Very Happy
deanhills
Excellent name for it! Is the lilac flash original, or was it painted on? Looks pretty impressive Very Happy

What a fantastic view of the landscape behind Lilac Flash. Great photo! Where was it taken?
wellerchap
I bought The Lilac Flash in 1985, brand new, and still have him today (for some reason, my vehicles have all been male, in my mind....whereas I think most refer to their cars/bikes etc as "she" or "her"....these are my pals, and definitely blokes! Very Happy )
Here I am, in the snazzy jumper Embarassed , it's 1985....and I'm at AF Rayspeed in North Yorkshire to buy the brand new scooter...I was 19 years old then.

Fast forward to around 2002/3.....I had it sprayed over in white, then painted on the lilac myself out of spray cans. I'd always secretly envied my Dad's colleague who had a silver Fiat Strada, going by the name of "The Silver Hornet" Rolling Eyes .....and so was born "The Lilac Flash"! Cool

Anyway, where were we?
Ah yes, the photo......it was taken during a Coast to Coast ride, in the Lake District, looking towards the Langdale Pikes, and just before tackling my favourite 5 miles of road in England.....the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes. All very steep, twisty & exhilarating!
I took my wife that way for the first time this year....she was almost crying all the way, and said she never wants to go over there again!
That was BEFORE I'd told her we'd to come back that way too Very Happy

Here's Stripey George, tackling part of the Hardknott Pass....you've to be careful, as cars are coming the other way, too !
[/img]
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
I bought The Lilac Flash in 1985, brand new, and still have him today (for some reason, my vehicles have all been male, in my mind....whereas I think most refer to their cars/bikes etc as "she" or "her"....these are my pals, and definitely blokes! Very Happy )
Here I am, in the snazzy jumper Embarassed , it's 1985....and I'm at AF Rayspeed in North Yorkshire to buy the brand new scooter...I was 19 years old then.

Fast forward to around 2002/3.....I had it sprayed over in white, then painted on the lilac myself out of spray cans. I'd always secretly envied my Dad's colleague who had a silver Fiat Strada, going by the name of "The Silver Hornet" Rolling Eyes .....and so was born "The Lilac Flash"! Cool

Anyway, where were we?
Ah yes, the photo......it was taken during a Coast to Coast ride, in the Lake District, looking towards the Langdale Pikes, and just before tackling my favourite 5 miles of road in England.....the Wrynose and Hardknott Passes. All very steep, twisty & exhilarating!
I took my wife that way for the first time this year....she was almost crying all the way, and said she never wants to go over there again!
That was BEFORE I'd told her we'd to come back that way too Very Happy

Here's Stripey George, tackling part of the Hardknott Pass....you've to be careful, as cars are coming the other way, too !
[/img]
Both photos are great, but the one of Stripey George in that landscape and lighting fantastic. Who took the photograph?

I guess it must be one thing to be in the driver seat, rather than the passenger back seat when one is driving up a steep pass. Your poor wife must have had a sensation all the time of wanting to fall off whereas you must have been perfectly exhilarated by it all? Poor thing .... tch tch ....

PS: The dog's awesome! His pose completely with it and intelligent. Almost as though he is used to having photos taken off him. I guess he must have passed on by now?
wellerchap
Ooops....misunderstood there.....my wife has never been on any of my scooters - something I'm quite pleased about, as a). it's not the safest place to be, and b). she hates the things!
We were just in the car when we went over Hardknott Pass together.
The old pooch, yes, will be an ex-alsatian...deceased...he is "no more"...he's shuffled orf this mortal coil... (I do hope you've seen the Monty Python "dead parrot" sketch? Very Happy )
Thinking about it, there's probably as much chance of the dog now still being alive, at approx. 30 years old as there is of my missus getting on one of my Lambrettas Laughing

The photo was taken by my mate Tim, from Harpenden....I'd gone with 3 other blokes...the weather was typical of the day and I'd camped that night - they'd all had b&b's & big breakfasts.
They're not rufftie-tufftie darn sarf! Very Happy
deanhills
wellerchap wrote:
The old pooch, yes, will be an ex-alsatian...deceased...he is "no more"...he's shuffled orf this mortal coil... (I do hope you've seen the Monty Python "dead parrot" sketch? Very Happy )
Thinking about it, there's probably as much chance of the dog now still being alive, at approx. 30 years old as there is of my missus getting on one of my Lambrettas Laughing
I haven't seen the MOnty Python "dead parrot" sketch .... I will try and look it up in YouTube, it's bound to be there somewhere.
wellerchap wrote:
The photo was taken by my mate Tim, from Harpenden....I'd gone with 3 other blokes...the weather was typical of the day and I'd camped that night - they'd all had b&b's & big breakfasts.
They're not rufftie-tufftie darn sarf! Very Happy
I guess one would need hearty breakfasts in that cold weather .... it looks brrrr ..... cold when one studies the photo.

OK, I found the Dead Parrot show .... and it was HILARIOUS ... Laughing Laughing

gandalfthegrey
I once visited Norway. Very lovely city Oslo is!