FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Woolly Mammoth Cloning

jwellsy
I'm surprised it's taken this long for someone to try this. I'm not sure why it would take 6 years.

Quote:
Scientists to try to clone a woolly mammoth

It's been 10,000 years since the Earth last saw its hairiest beast, the woolly mammoth.

But if a team of Japanese, Russian and American scientists are successful, one could soon be lumbering around, shedding all over the place.

The researchers, led by Prof. Akira Iritani, professor emeritus of Kyoto University, hope to clone the animal using tissue obtained this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian laboratory. The nuclei of mammoth cells would be inserted into an elephant's egg cells from which the nuclei have been removed to create an embryo containing mammoth genes.

The embryo would then be planted in an elephant's womb.

Frozen mammoth skin and muscle tissue have been collected before from Siberia's permafrost, but most cell nuclei were irreparably damaged by ice crystals. In 2008, however, Japan's Dr. Teruhiko Wakayama figured out how to clone a mouse from cells that had been kept in a deep-freeze for 16 years.

Using Wakayama's technique, Iritani's team thinks it can extract mammoth nuclei without damaging it.

If all goes as planned, a baby mammoth could be born in five or six years.

Scientists aim to bring mammoth back to life Daily Yomiuri

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/hottopics/detail?entry_id=81207
SonLight
I think they're being optomistic, but it could happen within that time frame. As far as I know, ALL cloned animals have had significant birth defects and they consider themselves lucky when they get one that can survive and live a somewhat normal life.

Inter-species genetic manipulation raises new issues. While the nucleus chromosomes are replaced, there is also mitochondrial DNA that will be coming from the elephant. Presumably the differences won't be huge and there viable animals might still be born without worrying about them.

'Standard' cloning risks, severely damaged tissue, and inter-species issues ... yeah, I'd say it will take a while.
ocalhoun
SonLight wrote:
As far as I know, ALL cloned animals have had significant birth defects and they consider themselves lucky when they get one that can survive and live a somewhat normal life.

Hm, but even a defective mammoth might be a good source for new DNA samples, making future cloning more likely to be successful.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Hm, but even a defective mammoth might be a good source for new DNA samples, making future cloning more likely to be successful.
Does this mean that they can bring back extinct species, like the dodo bird?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Does this mean that they can bring back extinct species, like the dodo bird?

I doubt any dodo birds were frozen in permafrost, so it isn't likely that they'll find any DNA samples to start with.

If cloning the mammoth is successful, I think the most interesting next step would involve a frozen early human ancestor. (Have any ever been found? I would suppose that they shared habitat with those frozen mammoths at times.)
It would lead to more knowledge about them, and more interestingly for me, it would raise a host of ethical/legal questions, hopefully leading to a conclusion that non-human rights should be taken more seriously.
naweed
what is the use of cloning mammoth?Confused It is just wasting money. There are a lot of better ways to spent that money.
ocalhoun
naweed wrote:
what is the use of cloning mammoth?Confused It is just wasting money. There are a lot of better ways to spent that money.

Such as?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
naweed wrote:

Such as?
Cloning Mozart. Or Albert Einstein. Or Michael Faraday ..... ?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
naweed wrote:

Such as?
Cloning Mozart. Or Albert Einstein. Or Michael Faraday ..... ?

Touché.
It would be very interesting to see what similarly capable minds would accomplish in a modern environment.
(Though it would be awkward for the clones... 'big shoes to fill' and all... it would be a lot of pressure.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
It would be very interesting to see what similarly capable minds would accomplish in a modern environment.
(Though it would be awkward for the clones... 'big shoes to fill' and all... it would be a lot of pressure.)
Definitely. That did go through my mind as well. For example, how do we know that any of those guys could have been around in a non-cloned way recently, but because they did not fit in the same way as Mozart or any of the others did during their time, got unnoticed, ignored, or may have been considered mentally imbalanced and locked up.
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
Definitely. That did go through my mind as well. For example, how do we know that any of those guys could have been around in a non-cloned way recently, but because they did not fit in the same way as Mozart or any of the others did during their time, got unnoticed, ignored, or may have been considered mentally imbalanced and locked up.

That would make for a good film script,a cloned genius from the past living in the 21st century.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
deanhills wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

That would make for a good film script,a cloned genius from the past living in the 21st century.
Have not thought about it until you mentioned it, but you are right. Like having an Albert Einstein for example with the exact same physical features and looks. Would probably be regarded the equivalent of a Dalai Lama of the science world reincarnated.
standready
truespeed wrote:

shhhh! I agree. Hollywood does not have competent writers to pull it off so you better create the script.
fuzzkaizer
well, as long as cloning involves just the reproduction of an organism with the same dna, you'd probably just produce an evil twin of albert einstein, or mayby just a dumb twin... mr. frankenstein, if you could also clone the mind, you could just clone yourself every now and then, and we have....eternal life!
ocalhoun
truespeed wrote:

Especially if he becomes very emotionally troubled due to everyone expecting him to be a reincarnation of the one he's cloned from, when all he really wants is to just have an ordinary life.

Say you cloned Mozart, but the clone just wanted to live simply... say, as an auto mechanic or a chain restaurant manager...

Can you imagine the kind of pressure that would be put on that kid as he was growing up? How much people would keep trying to steer him into music, no matter how little he actually wanted to do that?

Hm... I certainly don't have the wherewithal to publish a movie, nor to even get a screenplay so much as glanced at by a producer...
...But it IS within my means to write a novel... and this idea would also make for a great novel. Heck, in book form, there would probably even be enough time to use multiple cloned geniuses, either as sequels, or existing simultaneously, and perhaps meeting each other some day.

Hm... would it strain credulity too much to have them clone one of the early saints of the church by using DNA found in a reliquary?
fuzzkaizer
Now that with the saints is indeed an amazing idea! you could clone some saints and then found the great "wonderwork foundation" to give them an adequate place to work. They could engage in very different tasks, like talk to the animals, control the climate, fight fire, cure diseases etc.
Ghost Rider103
Has anyone heard of any updates on the Mammoth cloning?

The article was a good read, also some great ideas flowing around here. I'm curious to see any actual progress going on with the project.

To see a the project actually succeed would be quite amazing!
fuzzkaizer
here an update to the mommoth clonings:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QbRAo5fyyU&noredirect=1[/youtube]
hope nobody is disapointed by the lame joke...
coolclay
Wow, this topic migrated off topic a little! The mammoth wouldn't be the first extinct animal to be cloned, but it would be the only one that hadn't recently gone extinct. I believe the Pyrenean ibex has been cloned as well, but none that didn't have serious issues.

I think it will still be a considerable time before a truly successful cloning occurs.
airh3ad
It’s quite clear that humans were very experienced at dealing with carcasses! One more thing the distinct cut marks and complex incision patterns in its hides indicate that humans “completely commandeered” the carcass.
fuzzkaizer
It's mammoth cloning time again:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9537154/Mammoth-fragments-raise-cloning-hopes.html#