FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

EX Swiss Banker leaks Banking info to Wikileaks ....

deanhills

Caption of Photo wrote:
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, left, accompanied by former Swiss banker Rudolf Elmer, right, are seen after Elmer handed Assange two CD cases full of files, following a news conference at the Frontline Club in London, Monday Jan. 17, 2011.

Can't believe it, an EX Swiss Banker leaking tax evasion/avoidance information of its wealthy clients to Wikileaks. Where were the days when Bankers had been standing together as thick as thieves? Now that does my heart really good. Ha! would be great if all of the Bankers of those Big Banks in the US that had been bailed out in 2008 could come forward with their information too. Twisted Evil
Quote:
It is damaging our society," Elmer said.
Hear hear Elmer!

Noticed the atomic bomb blast in the poster just above Elmer's disk in the photo? Wonder whether that was done on purpose? Very Happy
Quote:
Rudolf Elmer, an ex-employee of Swiss-based Bank Julius Baer, said there were 2,000 account holders named in the documents, but refused to give details of the companies or individuals involved.

He has previously offered files to WikiLeaks on financial activities in the Cayman Islands and faces a court hearing in Zurich on Wednesday to answer charges of coercion and violating Switzerland's strict banking secrecy laws.

"I do think as a banker I have the right to stand up if something is wrong," said Elmer, who addressed reporters at London's Frontline Club alongside WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

"I am against the system. I know how the system works and I know the day-to-day business. From that point of view, I wanted to let society know what I know.

Source: Associated Press
ocalhoun
Nice to see a banker with a conscience! ^.^
(Though I suppose it's more likely a banker ratting out competitors for his own advantage... but still.)
I wonder what revelations will come from those disks?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I wonder what revelations will come from those disks?
So am I, especially since this guy seems to be involved in a court case in Zurich as well. I admire him, as it looks as though he has not fled Switzerland, but is facing his charges head-on. Wonder whether this is a sign of the future? People may want to emulate people like Elmer who have the guts to stand by their statements, even if this would mean a jail sentence in the end.
Dialogist
That's some great product placement all right. I'm not sure the people of Nagasaki find it that satirical though. Roberto Calvi on the right there probably shouldn't visit London anymore. Call me cynical, but I was dubious about courage not being a death wish when Assange was just antagonizing presidents, now they're playing with money. All I see looking at that photograph is two cross-hairs.
deanhills
Dialogist wrote:
That's some great product placement all right. I'm not sure the people of Nagasaki find it that satirical though. Roberto Calvi on the right there probably shouldn't visit London anymore. Call me cynical, but I was dubious about courage not being a death wish when Assange was just antagonizing presidents, now they're playing with money. All I see looking at that photograph is two cross-hairs.
I'm also a bit cynical. As one wonders why they are having a press session like that? Is it to let people know that Assange is back to business as usual? Or has Assange managed to get more partners for Wikileaks in London on the basis of financial contributions, and he now has to show them all the good works, or he is hoping to get more partners as it may get to be a lucrative business? Is he still as independent as he used to be?
jwellsy
The small fish on this list are more likely to be hurt. The big fish will probably be glad to donate to his favorite charities if their names are scrubbed from the list. Sounds like an elaborate blackmail scheme to me.
deanhills
jwellsy wrote:
The small fish on this list are more likely to be hurt. The big fish will probably be glad to donate to his favorite charities if their names are scrubbed from the list. Sounds like an elaborate blackmail scheme to me.
Right, it sounds almost as though it has become much too public to be discreet. One is not sure what to trust any longer?
ocalhoun
jwellsy wrote:
The big fish will probably be glad to donate to his favorite charities if their names are scrubbed from the list.

Favorite (political) charities, of course.
standready
jwellsy wrote:
to donate to his favorite charities

His favorite charities - me, myself and I !