FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Renaming the science forums. (Serious this time)

ocalhoun
Okay, so I've noticed that a lot of non-science stuff is working its way into the science forums.
Most particularly in the Science -> Education forum, but now also some in the Science --> Life forum.

I know the 'science' label is quite clearly there in the section name, but I think many people are missing it, and instead of reading 'Science --> Education' are just reading 'Education'.

So, I think it would help if we renamed the science forums like this:
The Universe (can't think of a way to work science into this name, but there hasn't been much trouble in this one anyway, because most discussions about 'the universe' are scientific anyway.)
Life Science
Science Basics
Scientific Education
Earth Science
General Science

It may be too late to save Education*, but this should at least keep the non-science discussions out of Life.

*For the Science --> Education problem, I would suggest just merging most of it into Jobs and Learning, then either renaming it or deleting it.
deanhills
OK. I like your "serious" suggestion. Very Happy One small suggestion: instead of "scientific education", "science education"? Depending on what you mean by scientific education. To me scientific education would be along research lines, people who are already scientists who are informed of science news, and science education learning about science by those who are not scientists, or do I have that wrong or back to front?
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
OK. I like your "serious" suggestion. Very Happy One small suggestion: instead of "scientific education", "science education"? Depending on what you mean by scientific education. To me scientific education would be along research lines, people who are already scientists who are informed of science news, and science education learning about science by those who are not scientists, or do I have that wrong or back to front?

Whichever. It doesn't have to be exactly the names I suggested... As long as 'science' is included in some form within the name, it would (help) solve the problem.

(Oh, and I fixed the topic title. Spell-check is making my proofreading skills rusty.)
Bikerman
I have no objections to this.
LittleBlackKitten
But isn't it a bit redundant? They're already IN the science forum...
Ankhanu
LittleBlackKitten wrote:
But isn't it a bit redundant? They're already IN the science forum...

You would think this, and you would be quite rational to do so... the reality, however, is that there are a LOT of threads started in the science forums without a shred of science content (I report them with some frequency, and it's the reason that I made a thread suggesting adding a "wrong forum" to the reporting system).

Life is one of the most frequently improperly used science forums, receiving threads like (fictitious, but represetative) "What does life mean to you", or "I've had a hard life", etc. that clearly have no scientific content.

I do like the suggestion, ocalhoun. We could even use discipline categories, instead of simply appending "science" to the title. I.E.:
The Universe - Cosmology, Astonomy and Physics
Life Science - Biology, Ecology
Science Basics - Fine as it is
Science Education - I like Science Education over Scientific Education
Earth Science - Geology
General Science - Fine as it is

Regarding the Education forum, I would go with dean's assessment of using "Science Education" versus "Scientific Education" and the implicit meaning of the two. The forum has been, to my assessment, about hurtles and methods in teaching sciences. This could involve scientists who are informed of science discussing research and such, but primarily I see the forum as teaching about science to those with varying levels of science experience. "Science Education" better captures that idea, imo.
deanhills
Excellent suggestion Ankhanu. Sounds great. Would environmental issues belong to earth science, or could it justify its own Forum, i.e. Environmental Science? I.e.

Environmental Science - climate change, conservation, waste management
Bikerman
Just to add a couple of extra's

palaeontology (life science)
geophysics & oceanography (earth science)
LittleBlackKitten
"Extra's" ? Really Chris? You must be tired...
Bikerman
Hmm...very careless of me...
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
Just to add a couple of extra's

palaeontology (life science)
geophysics & oceanography (earth science)

Extra forums, or just extra additions to the descriptions of those forums?

Bikerman wrote:
Hmm...very careless of me...

Everybody makes mistakes. ^.^
I did in the topic title before deanhills pointed out that I was making a 'serous' suggestion.
(It slipped by the spell check because it is a real word, meaning 'describing something with serum-like properties'.)
Bikerman
Just extra sub-headings for the existing forums....