FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Weather Control/Modification

Dialogist
Q1. Is it possible?
Q2. Is it actual?
Q3. To what extent? Diverting a tornado? Causing a massive earthquake? Causing torrential rain/drought?

This is has always been regarded to me as the Umbrella Man of all conspiracy theories. Perhaps the most paranoid and ridiculous ones, usually involving "Chemtrails" and other Prisoner gasses emitting from flowers stretches of the X-Files imagination but recently viewing the wikipedia page on Weather Control:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weather_control

I read this:

Wikipedia wrote:

Weather control is the act of manipulating or altering certain aspects of the environment to produce desirable changes in weather. Weather control can have the goal of preventing damaging weather, such as hurricanes or tornadoes, from occurring; of causing beneficial weather, such as rainfall in an area experiencing drought; or of provoking damaging weather against an enemy or rival, as a tactic of military or economic warfare. Weather modification in warfare has been banned by the United Nations.

That seems to answer Q1. and Q2, much to my amazement. But Q.3 still needs to be answered. Anybody know the extent of this ability? And do you think its possible that it has any relation to global warming?
deanhills
Interesting! That has to be the mother of conspiracies. So who would have wanted Katrina and what would the reasons have been, i.e. who benefited the most? Shocked
ocalhoun
Dialogist wrote:
Q1. Is it possible?

Somewhat. You can 'seed' clouds to cause rain, and you can attract lightning with towers and/or rockets attached to wires.
Quote:

Q2. Is it actual?

For the most part, no.
It's not very practical, and requires a lot of effort for not much reward.
Quote:

Q3. To what extent? Diverting a tornado? Causing a massive earthquake? Causing torrential rain/drought?

Like in Q1, only to a small extent... we can make rain come from a cloud that would have rained sooner or later anyway... we can direct lightning that would have hit something eventually anyway.

As for turning hurricanes and the like, it isn't really feasible... Cloud seeding could conceivably change the course of a hurricane, but:
1- It would be difficult to predict the effects it would have... Hard to determine which parts of it to seed in order to get the turn you want, because they are unpredictable. At the very least, it would require several practice turnings, in order to figure out how to do it.
2- It would be difficult to conceal, as making that large of an effect would require many cargo planes full of cloud-seeding powder.

If the USA (for example) had the ability to turn hurricanes, why do they still allow hurricanes to strike the country, rather than turning them away towards the middle of the ocean?
Dialogist
ocalhoun wrote:
If the USA (for example) had the ability to turn hurricanes, why do they still allow hurricanes to strike the country, rather than turning them away towards the middle of the ocean?

I think that's what Deanhills was suggesting. That in some cases it would be viable or profitable or maybe economic (as the entry linked suggests) to induce this kind of thing on your own people. Conspiracy theories like to use "control" as their preferred motive of choice but I still find the UN actually passing a law against it in warfare as a rude awakening to the reality of it, its usage and effectiveness. I got the same impression as you from reading that page; that it works (just about) and is hardly 100% effective and requires a lot of effort to get varying (at best) results from it. But its not inconceivable that it should be implemented or attempted, when you think of the climate changing effects of Hiroshima or Nagasaki, effectively turning those places into Hell on Earth via the same kind of modification of a person's comfortable heat. Only this way is a lot less noticeable that a mushroom cloud. I would imagine it has been used in some apparently "natural" disasters at some point. I believe if it is a weapon that has been proven to work at some point, it more than probably has been used.

deanhills wrote:
So who would have wanted Katrina and what would the reasons have been, i.e. who benefited the most?

Oh no, come on. I don't think Kanye West has the ability to do this.

Certainly President Bush did not benefit. "George Bush Hates Black People" is now the official tag-line of that disaster. Bush came out of that arguably worse than Iraq because of his failure to protect his own people on his own soil. Most of his recent biography was to the tune of "I have black friends". It hit him pretty hard. The few ethic supporters he had prior to Katrina, pretty much despised him after. Ironically, those were mainly the folks who were good enough to go off and fight his holy war for him.

I just think "climate change" seemed like a myth and a red herring for many many years while I was growing up and then "carbon emissions" and "eco footprints" came in, and still nobody paid a blind piece of notice, and then green cars and live earth and the rest of it came in and still, it didn't really see a great deal of participation from non-celebrities, non-philanthropists or non-hippies. Then all of sudden (and I do say sudden) the western winters turned into Antarctica. So, okay, I guess I need to turn off my lights, cut back and stop being so extravagant in these times of recession?
iman
I think changing the weather is possible, but controlling it according to your will seems impossible. There are just way too many factors to consider. It's harder than an earth simulator.
deanhills
iman wrote:
I think changing the weather is possible, but controlling it according to your will seems impossible. There are just way too many factors to consider. It's harder than an earth simulator.
Well said. I also believe one can change the weather, but there will also be elements of it beyond control. I have not seen any predictability in some of the natural disasters during 2010 to the extent that people could have been warned of the severity of any of the disasters ahead of time. Haiti comes to mind for example.
standready
iman wrote:

I agree. As ocalhoun said seeding clouds to possibly produce rain. Steering lightning. If the weather could be controlled why freeze during winter and boil during summer?
ocalhoun
standready wrote:
If the weather could be controlled why freeze during winter and boil during summer?

Because losing the change of seasons would cause havoc in the ecosystem, and likely cause several kinds of crops to fail?
Navigator
How about not controlling the weather, but controlling things like earthquakes or massive storms? Now there is scary tought, considering Haiti.
ocalhoun
Navigator wrote:
Now there is scary tought, considering Haiti.

Why the heck would the US (or anybody else for that matter) target Haiti?
deanhills
Navigator wrote:
Now there is scary tought, considering Haiti.
Agreed .... However, maybe I did not quite get whether you meant that they should use an earthquake to create disasters in "targetted areas", or control weather so as to stop an earthquake from hitting a place like Haiti? Very Happy
silverdown
I am sure there experimenting with it and it's possible.... controling it might be the part they are trying to figure out.... Surprised they are just making mother nature FIGHT back! Laughing
deanhills
silverdown wrote:
I am sure there experimenting with it and it's possible.... controling it might be the part they are trying to figure out.... Surprised they are just making mother nature FIGHT back! Laughing
Right, like anti-biotics! Twisted Evil You can only take anti-biotics for a short while, and then if you take it longer, it becomes completely useless. Smile