FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Money for education or war.





criticaldensity
You are the president, you have 1 billion dollars and it must be spent ONE way. Where would you spend it?
Id say education, build more schools.
kany
Well it depends on the situation when you haven't got an aggressive neighbout . Education is the priority. But what does education mean when somebody ruins you . Sad
Nameless
Education. Though given the choice, I'd spend half on education and spend half on stopping people from starving over in Africa. I hate the whole 'we want peace so lets start a war' thing.

Don't spend lives, save lives!
wistom
I agree with you. Education, is very important. Through it depends on the situation when you haven't got an aggressive neighbout . Education is the priority.
Piotrek
I agree with you all. But if i were president... firstly i would destroy all other countries, and after i would spent it for education.
qljune
Education of cos. Hope for the future. Opens up new perspective and create new possibilities.
startsomething
I would definately choose education. I am morally opposed to war, especially if the war was started for stupid reasons. Plus I think education is very important. Especially in teens and children. There's too much pop-culture right now. We arn't going anywhere. There needs to be more free thinkers, and leaders. Right now we have to many followers, and they are following people who don't really care about anything but money(i.e. rap stars, public icons, etc). I think education is something that needs to be stressed. We have an army to defend us, unless someone declares war on us, we really don't need to spend any more money on it (in my oppinion terrorists never declared war. They don't intend to fight us or settle anything. They just like to blow things up)
dan751
I would spend the billion dollars on education, and not the educating of how to kill either.
OnlyOneLife
1/6 of the total money spend is on military... when noone, no country is a threat. does this sound like the soviot union to you or communist china... Really, they are probally just trying to develop stronger weapons.
TreadStone
of course education man..we are not bush and his battle spporters
Jack_Hammer
one U.S billion dollars or one English billion dollars?, because one billion U.S dollars isn't much, the government get more than that easly in tax, but anyway if I had to spend one English billion Wink , on one department, I would also hhave to say education, if you educate people now when it is their generationg in power they will be more prepared and more educated so that they will have more experiance of what to do in the future.
Grimboy
Piotrek wrote:
I agree with you all. But if i were president... firstly i would destroy all other countries, and after i would spent it for education.


That's what they're doing already. Yup killing thousands of innocent children and their families SURE IS FUN.

I would call you something but I'm sure it would get me banned.
S3nd K3ys
Grimboy wrote:
Piotrek wrote:
I agree with you all. But if i were president... firstly i would destroy all other countries, and after i would spent it for education.


That's what they're doing already. Yup killing thousands of innocent children and their families SURE IS FUN.

I would call you something but I'm sure it would get me banned.


They're destroying all other countries?

Who is?

Damn! I must have missed that on CBS last nite! Shocked
They're killing thousands of innocent women and children?

Who is?

Oh, you must be talking about the terrorists. Yes, you're correct, the terrorists DO target women and children. And they ARE trying to destroy all other countries... Wink

Well, not ALL other countries, only the ones that don't convert to radical islam.

:edit:
:flame suit on:
Oh, BTW, I choose war for this country. These are dangerous times. Education is not critical to our survival right now, except educating the public about the real and valid threat of global terrorism. Education is not great, but it's not collapsing. Yet.
:/flame suit off:
:/edit:
adwya
Education SURE
Anti-Camper
In Education because war is no solution! NO WAR!!!! Rolling Eyes
S3nd K3ys
Anti-Camper wrote:
In Education because war is no solution! NO WAR!!!! Rolling Eyes


Surrender is a solution?
Jack_Hammer
OnlyOneLife wrote:
1/6 of the total money spend is on military... when noone, no country is a threat. does this sound like the soviot union to you or communist china... Really, they are probally just trying to develop stronger weapons.


You still need to train an army for a just incase just because america is the second (first debatable but I think the first would be china anyway,) doesn't mean you stop training your army stop edveloping arms stop the manufacture of arms and ammunition does it?, you have to keep it all up even in peace time.
Dark_Jedi06
OnlyOneLife wrote:
1/6 of the total money spend is on military... when noone, no country is a threat. does this sound like the soviot union to you or communist china... Really, they are probally just trying to develop stronger weapons.
You let your army stagnate in peace-time?

Then what happens when war actually comes? You won't be very prepared.
nilsmo
Piotrek wrote:
I agree with you all. But if i were president... firstly i would destroy all other countries, and after i would spent it for education.


Destroying other countries would mean World War III, and that would mean near-extinction of man-kind, probably---I don't want you being president! Laughing
Bondings
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Anti-Camper wrote:
In Education because war is no solution! NO WAR!!!! Rolling Eyes


Surrender is a solution?

S3nd K3ys, have you never thought of the fact that real extremists/terrorists actally want war? Have you ever seen terrorists demonstrating for peace?

They want to destroy our civilization; values like freedom, democracy, education and peace. They want to replace them with terror, war, extremism and dictature.

So what did you do?

-Made the Patriot Act to reduce that freedom.
-Replaced (funds for) education by (funds for) war.
-Replaced the peace by the war in Iraq.

Ok, you did bring democracy into Iraq but it will last till a few years after your troops leave that country. Democracy simply can't be forced to people, it has to come from the people themselves in order to work. Of course I would be glad if the opposite would be proven in this case.

I remember you having a picture of New York in your signature with the city filled with both American and Arabian buildings, including the Taj Mahal. This is the opposite of what terrorists want. Terrorists want New York to be a big Ground Zero, caused by a few atomic bombs killing millions of people.

If a so-called terrorist would build the Taj Mahal (often called one of the modern world wonders) in my city, I would rather build him a statue instead of calling him a terrorist. Wink
AnGeLicK
criticaldensity wrote:
You are the president, you have 1 billion dollars and it must be spent ONE way. Where would you spend it?
Id say education, build more schools.


no brainer... education obviously... its the only way you can correct half of the worlds problems
S3nd K3ys
Bondings wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Anti-Camper wrote:
In Education because war is no solution! NO WAR!!!! Rolling Eyes


Surrender is a solution?

S3nd K3ys, have you never thought of the fact that real extremists/terrorists actally want war? Have you ever seen terrorists demonstrating for peace?

They want to destroy our civilization; values like freedom, democracy, education and peace. They want to replace them with terror, war, extremism and dictature.

So what did you do?

-Made the Patriot Act to reduce that freedom.
-Replaced (funds for) education by (funds for) war.
-Replaced the peace by the war in Iraq.


The Patriot Act does very little to 'reduce that freedom' when compared to the lives it will save, (and likely already has in the form of terrorists plots in the US since 9/11, or lack there of).

We have not taken funds from education for this war. In fact, funding for education has gone UP by over 1 billion dollars this year in Ca alone.

Quote:

Ok, you did bring democracy into Iraq but it will last till a few years after your troops leave that country. Democracy simply can't be forced to people, it has to come from the people themselves in order to work. Of course I would be glad if the opposite would be proven in this case.

I remember you having a picture of New York in your signature with the city filled with both American and Arabian buildings, including the Taj Mahal. This is the opposite of what terrorists want. Terrorists want New York to be a big Ground Zero, caused by a few atomic bombs killing millions of people.

If a so-called terrorist would build the Taj Mahal (often called one of the modern world wonders) in my city, I would rather build him a statue instead of calling him a terrorist. Wink


From what I've seen, the people in Iraq (at least WELL OVER 95% of them) want democracy. They just can't defend themselves long enough to get it together. That's what we're doing there. Hopefully, it will last as it has in other countries.

Do you honestly believe that the terrorists would destroy this continent and leave it? Not a chance. They are trying to conquer it from the inside. To take it over. To 'convert' us. They will destroy what they need to destroy to do the job, but they will use what they don't have to destroy.

darrell
i would say split it evenly
mikecoyne83
well actually what would be the smartest thing to do is not invest in education or war, but broadband. The reason for this is the transfer of information. If we had a government program that would bring broadband to the masses the transfer of information becomes higher. When more information gets passed through systems students learn at a faster rate. South Korea has been doing this for the last 10 years and their education there is the best in the world.
planet
Fortunately the issue is a bit more complicated than that ^L*

With (in my view) the threat to the US being GREATLY exaggerated for reasons other than the well-being of the american people, its my belief that the most important issue would be to erraticate the poverty wich still is of considerable size. According to various government sources its a number between 20-30 million americans.

I must agree that the problem of terrorists has surged of late, however it seems to be used by the powers that be for purposes of manipulation, more than a realistic effort to change what really is wrong.

I must agree with K3ys that surrender is not on the ticket (I think thats where K3ys is=) ) and in my opinion thugs must be stopped but I have no room for manipulation.

So fighting poverty is my choise (worldwide). The resent decisions of letting the poorest contries in the world forget their debt is a very positive first step.
S3nd K3ys
planet wrote:
the threat to the US being GREATLY exaggerated.


Um.

Yeah.

It's not just the US.

Perhaps you've been gone the last 7 or 8 hundred years? Maybe just the last 40 or 50??
atomictoyz
[quote="Bondings"]
S3nd K3ys wrote:
-Replaced the peace by the war in Iraq.



IS the definition of Peace include mass killings of political and culturally difference? Would that Definition include corrupting the Oil for Food Program at the expense of 90,000 deaths per years caused by UN sanctions levied for not allowing inspections per UN resolutions?
Would that Definition include firing upon UN sanctioned no fly zone patrol aircraft. Would it include executing nearly a dozen US Covert Ops in Northern Iraq after a mole messed up? Would that definition also include the words Jihad and Slaughtering the Infidels?

I think the media does a good job of <b>not</b>letting the message of the Iraqi people being heard over the message of the terrorists.

As far as history goes, Freedom has always been purchased with the blood of those who sacrificed peace as a means to an end.

How many know Clinton wanted to Invade Iraq but wouldn't because the people would not support it. While Bill seemed like a nice and smooth guy, he was as intolerant of cocky dictators as anyone in history. He bombed Iraq nearly daily for 8 years at the same time as wars in Kosovo.

Lets not forget military "actions" in Somalia, Bosnia, Haiti, Afghan, and Sudan. All of them unauthorized actions according to the constitution.

If we want education, it must be in areas that will improve the religiously oppressed in countries run by dictators. Which is what the war is about. Once people are allowed to go back to school and learn we just might see people capable of doing what made Iraq an amazing place in the past.
You can't build the Taj Mahal after killing the designer, imprisoning his family and using his bank account for extending the Al Samoud II target range.

These are facts even though I disagree with how the War in Iraq is being waged. But that is mainly the fault of Tenet.

Peace,
Atomic
damj
Both ... education about weapons. You give a man a weapon and he can kill for a day,but teach a man to make weapons, and he can kill for a lifetime.

Seriously, as someone who has actually served in a war, only mad men actually WANT to fight a war. However, until Mankind advances enough to stop getting into wars, we have to be prepared to fight them.

Any sane person wants peace, however pacifism doesn't work because there will always be agressors out there, and someone always has to be prepared to stop them. That is simply human nature ... unfortunately.

I wish that we could have peace ... just peace ... but unfortunately what we do have is peace through superior firepower.
LuiS_J
well honestly both of them are priorities.. beacuse if we don spend money on war .. we gonna die or the country would be on horribles conditios.. and also education is very important.. cuz without education i think almost everybody would be dumb.. so its really hard to choose... Confused Confused
earthchild
If it was black and white, one or the other - I'd say Education all the way

heck I'd proabably say that if it was gray (lol)

but I'd say GLOBAL education... then everyone would be smart enough to realize how useless and destructive war is. They'd also realize oil dependence isn't very smart and and they'd figure out ways to feed the masses, and balance budgets, and communicate effectively (without need of violence), and have all countries prosper so that no one needs to accuse someone else, and so much more...

Yes, my bet would be on education.
planet
Nah contrary to popular belief I've been here on Mother Earth =)

However I've had my eyes and ears open towards all corners of the earth (as in news feeds in 9 different languages).

I will never belittle, accept or condone the acts of inhumanity terrorist murderers have done to the US and never forget all the good the US h a s done in the world and is still doing on a daily basis, as I have too much love towards the country and its people. But that having been said, that does NOT in my eyes take away my sense of realism.

There is at the moment a wind with the smell of "Macarthy'ism" blowing out from the White House and a lack of understanding for the thoughts and feelings of other peoples and their religions in this world which does not further neither the interests of the US nor the quest for a more peacefull world in general.

I have for years lived in different countries where acts of terrorism were a fact of daily life and thereby learned of the dangers of "mass hysteria" and how to live with it.

But one fact still remains,,,, ridding the world of some of its poverty is the safest bet for peace

V =)
Pixel
education is much more important then war...and war costs much more then education Crying or Very sad
mart_hr
Plato said that a government that does not spend on education is bent on corruption and headed to ruin.

An under educated mass is less likely to recognize incompetance in office.

You have to have someone smart enough to program the smart missiles. Out sourcing this ay result in the missiles being aimed at you!!!
planet
As long as the bomb (and the trickerhappy mofo) is smart enough, I'm ok.
ekingisrael
i'll say war-if ther's any hostile neighbor-the country shell finish him,after the war there will be more money than 1 milion-cause we'll take control over the loser's money,and then it could be spend on education Smile smart or not!? Idea Exclamation Question
budazz
education--- so i can raise a war with those super educated people...hehe..
Twisted Evil Exclamation
vazdecarvalho
Obvious for education. I am totally against the use of the money to war. But I think also war helps to develop new technology, so you have to use some money in the war also. If there is a need in education, the country have to forget the war Very Happy
gonzo
Piotrek wrote:
I agree with you all. But if i were president... firstly i would destroy all other countries, and after i would spent it for education.


Nah I'd just destroy all instances of liberalism and fund homeschooling
ddrmanxbxfr
I think that im gonna go for the education because war is bad
joshua_erceg
Definitley education - it is the top priority!!! Very Happy
Then again, if my country was under threat & actually needed the protection I would spend it the other way...
I mean, What good are educated workers - when they're dead Question
gonzo
vazdecarvalho wrote:
I am totally against the use of the money to war. ... you have to use some money in the war also.


Explain your understanding of "totally", please.


mikecoyne83 wrote:
the smartest thing to do is not invest in education


yeah, that sounds smart.

Quote:
If we had a government program that would bring broadband to the masses


Somebody would have to pay for it. Who's gonna pay in your utopia?


Quote:
When more information gets passed through systems students learn at a faster rate


Aren't you confusing "do" with "could"?





Bondings wrote:
S3nd K3ys wrote:
Anti-Camper wrote:
In Education because war is no solution! NO WAR!!!! Rolling Eyes


Surrender is a solution?

S3nd K3ys, have you never thought of the fact that real extremists/terrorists actally want war? Have you ever seen terrorists demonstrating for peace?


Yes, there's galleries full of them taken by the people who run:

http://ProtestWarrior.com



Quote:
They want to destroy our civilization; values like freedom, democracy, education and peace. They want to replace them with terror, war, extremism and dictature.


Actually if we're talking jihad the replacements are :

- pure fascism (allah's theocracy)
- zero dignity
- ignorance
- uniformity



Quote:
-Made the Patriot Act to reduce that freedom.


uh huh.. how exactly did that happen? Please be aware that MOST of the laws contained in the patriot act were already on the books.


Quote:
-Replaced (funds for) education by (funds for) war.


nope we just spend more on war. we still (collectively) waste money on public education.. an increasing amount anually.

Quote:
-Replaced the peace by the war in Iraq.


Ahh yes the quiet of submission in fear. Is that the peace you wish we all had a share in? Shocked



Quote:
Democracy simply can't be forced to people,


True. But socialism, the precursor to fascism, as well as tribal warmongering CAN be stomped out.


Quote:
Terrorists want New York to be a big Ground Zero, caused by a few atomic bombs killing millions of people.


Islamofascists want the same thing today that they've always wanted: world domination. A wolrd of allah only; death to jews, Christians, buddists, and all other non-islamists

Covert or die.. neither are valid choices for me.


... as compromise is patently NOT possible ... what would you suggest?
damj
Quote:
well actually what would be the smartest thing to do is not invest in education or war, but broadband. The reason for this is the transfer of information. If we had a government program that would bring broadband to the masses the transfer of information becomes higher. When more information gets passed through systems students learn at a faster rate. South Korea has been doing this for the last 10 years and their education there is the best in the world.


Yeah, but you're assuming that people would actually use it to educate themselves. Give most people broadband, and they'll ONLY use it to surf for porn!!! Laughing Look at TV. There are some good educational programs on TV, yet most people blow right by PBS looking for Springer or Reality-Show-Du-Jour.
Parkour_Jarrod
I would spend it all on The EDUCATION of handling WAR like situations by EDUCATING the SOLDIERS Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
deanhills
This thread has no substance. What are we talking about here? We already have a Government in place allocating funds to a fully operational Department that has to look at funding for State budgets that are earmarked for education. We also have something in place that is funding the military? So are we talking about Government spending, or funds that are resourced via other means, and what would they be?

Whether one wants to be at war or not, by nature of the fact that there are countries that are armed to the hilt, and wish to make war, any country has to have a minimum up to date operational military capability to defend itself. With North Korea, Iran, India etc all having nuclear capability, all other countries have to upgrade their military preparedness in the same way. This is not something voluntary, this is something that is essential so that people at home can feel safe and secure, otherwise you will have other armies of other countries breaking down your front door of security. So how would you be able to enjoy all the benefits of education if you have no safety and security to do it in? Every country has to find its balance between the two of course. And regretfully most countries seem to find it easier to cut education programmes than to fund military programmes, but perhaps that is unavoidable in certain cases? Take for example Iraq, who is barely surviving as a functional country. The most basic need of safety and security has to come before education. In order to achieve that, there has to be some investment in security systems, including the presence of the United States, who regrettably ruined most of its infrastructure when it invaded the country. So what I am saying is war is more than just war. You have to take care of people's safety and security before you get to education, and preferably you should be able to get a balance between the two. This has to be seen in the global context where balance of power in the field of nuclear weapons is key to the safety and security of the world.
ptfrances
I think there is no debate on this point because money for war only create destruction... as we've seen recently in Gaza...
Sad
Nick2008
ptfrances wrote:
I think there is no debate on this point because money for war only create destruction... as we've seen recently in Gaza...
Sad


True, education is the way to go. I don't think I'd ever spend $1 Billion dollars on the military instead of education... unless my country was about to be run over of course. Rolling Eyes
TurtleShell
Education. War is a waste of money and lives. If all countries spent the money on education instead of war, everyone would be better off.
standready
I would spend on education unless the previous President stuck me with an un-winable war where I am sort of force to carry-on. We never have got out of Vietnam, same this time around. Nobody learns from history so it is repeated.
Vladalf
damj wrote:
Both ... education about weapons. You give a man a weapon and he can kill for a day,but teach a man to make weapons, and he can kill for a lifetime.


Heh this sounds like that ancient chineese telling: You give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Learn a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime.

Anyways, about wars and that. I believe something will happen, a big war, a virus spreading, natural catastrophy, something must happen. We are too many people, the earth is dying with so many people on it. Heck the population increased so much in the last decades, I can't think how many we will be in the future.

I can't possibly say in what I would invest it. More choices would be nicer tough.
andredesignz
well 1st if i was the president i would make education FREE,
2nd if i had 1 billion $ i would try to build a institutions for homeless people and let me have jobs
Parkour_Jarrod
Vladalf wrote:

Anyways, about wars and that. I believe something will happen, a big war, a virus spreading, natural catastrophy, something must happen. We are too many people, the earth is dying with so many people on it. Heck the population increased so much in the last decades, I can't think how many we will be in the future.


Hmm sounds like the book im reading "Warhead" by Andy Remic
hofodomo01
Money for educating people on waging war.

/thread
Josso
I'm sure if there was more education there would be less war.

Also I may point out, less people to be in the army.
shkumbin
Josso wrote:
I'm sure if there was more education there would be less war.

Also I may point out, less people to be in the army.


Yes I agree with you, more educated people, less wars.
fx-trading-education
shkumbin wrote:
Josso wrote:
I'm sure if there was more education there would be less war.

Also I may point out, less people to be in the army.


Yes I agree with you, more educated people, less wars.


I am not really sure of that.
Usually people deciding to make a war or not are pretty much educated.
Maybe the troups are not so well educated (also depends on the country and on the type of soldiers) but anyway it is not because of them that there are wars.
For instance if you consider the war in Irak it was decided by few well educated people (I don't include Bush here that was just a follower) because of oil.
I think that being evil or not is not directly related to education.
spring567
1 billion can do nothing for a country.
Crazy_Canuck
I'd say education but it is more important to invest in programs instead of buildings. Children can learn anywhere but having the right kind of guidance can do wonders. Each child should be encouraged to find something that really interests them and let them explore it to their heart's content.
_AVG_
I'd say war though it's a risk. But, effectively if the 1 billion would be used efficiently, you could eradicate all the terrorism in the world. It's a big "IF".

Ideally, you could invest the one billion so that you get a tenfold amount back in the future and that investment would be made best in education. So, it depends what one wants.

This is quite an economic question actually.
snowynight
criticaldensity wrote:
You are the president, you have 1 billion dollars and it must be spent ONE way. Where would you spend it?
Id say education, build more schools.

Why educate, to make war more reasonable?
Why wage wars, to make more people away from education£¿

So it all depends.
goutha
Well, for me the answer is without any hesitation: Money for education.

Today, there is no reason to make war. See the examples of Irak and Afghanistan, thousands of dead innocents from both sides, worse situation than before war... Stupid decision!!! I’m sure that if W. Bush was better educated, the situation would have been different.
achowles
I assume we're talking US president. If so then billions get lost in the military budget as it is. They could easily tighten it up and make military spending more efficient if they wanted an extra billion to invest in something. Therefore schools is the no-brainer answer. There is still a lot of work that could be done to the US state education system. Well any country's schools would benefit from that investment.
Joanne
I should say there should really be no question here.
Education should win hands down.

But yeah, that's not the case when it's reality we're speaking of.

Sad huh?
seannie
I would say education definitely.
If everyone was educated, then there wouldn't be war.
But if everyone was to only fight wars and no one was educated, they would eventually wipe out the entire human race.
carlospro7
Well, if there were a conflict going on in my country, I would probably not have much of a choice but to spend it on war. Otherwise it would be pointless at the moment and would certainly spend it on education. I tend to support education over war, but depending on the circumstances and if it really is "one or the other" then I'd have to weigh it out.
Arty
1 billion isn't that much.
Obama is spending about 1 trillion dollars on the stimulus package.
A few hundred billion is going to education, I think.
sondosia
It's all good to be wise and noble and say you'd spent it on education, but get real. This question is practically pointless because it's so far away from the true dilemmas of government. No president's gonna be like, "yeah, I could spend this money on educating our children, but instead I'm gonna spend it on killing random people overseas." It's useless--AND defeatist--to vilify war, because it happens. If a country is threatening you, either with physical attacks or by blockading your borders or whatnot, you as a president are responsible for responding with military force. That's just how it works, people. So if the president has to make this choice in a time of war, when the country and its people are threatened, that's exactly what he/she should do. Spend the money on war.
ankitdatashn
It really depends a lot on the situation. If the situation is extremely tense in any country and the country is relatively educated then other countries then money can be spent on gunning down terrorist organizations. If the literacy rate is very low and there is not any immediate tense situation then more money can be put on education.

I agree to the fact that eduacation is the prime need but it really and when I say "really" I really mean it depends on the situation. If I am the president and any epidemic has broken out I would want the money to be spent on medicines and health.

So summing up it depends on the situation.
mk12327
The post starter is pretty vague in his post... Are we allowed to split the usage of money and would other uses for the money other than education and war count?

Because if we could distribute the money in different areas, I would not risk putting all eggs in 1 basket. Utilizing the money in several ways would be a better idea than to simply invest them all in a particular area/sector. And if it is not a yes/no type of question where we could only choose between spending on education and war, I would consider spending on boosting the economy.

In all, if answer to both questions are yes, I would use the money equally on education and building the economy. Only if we invest on the economy would it grow more money for us to use in future, Likewise, improving the education would mean that future generations would be intelligent enough to sustain the growth and spend money wisely in future.
manlear
Piotrek wrote:
I agree with you all. But if i were president... firstly i would destroy all other countries, and after i would spent it for education.


Well i think we all know who isn't getting elected next year!! Wink
But i would not spend all of the money on education, because the country would need other things like food, shelter, jobs, not just a country were the people scavenge the ant hills for a stray bug after 3:30. (or whenever school ends)
Sincerely,
Manlear
Afaceinthematrix
Well... Many people seem to not be answering the actual question. I believe that spending money on war is bad (because war is morally wrong), so I'd choose education over war. However, most people seem to be saying that they'd rather spend money on education than on military spending. That's a completely different question, though. I believe spending money on war is bad while spending money on the military is good. The military in the U.S. (where I am located) has done so much good for the country (and other militaries in other countries have also done well for their countries). It has employed a vast amount of people, provided many of those people with college educations (which has thus produced some of our greatest scientists/engineers), and invented many of the things that we use today. The military has helped out the country so much. So while I am against war (it is morally despicable), I am definitely NOT against the military.
PatTheGreat42
Education. A billion only buys like, a thousand missiles these days. Eh.
rvec
moved, I think this is economics
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I believe that spending money on war is bad (because war is morally wrong),
Whether it is morally wrong or not, there is a need for any country to have some form of military preparedness, so as to at least deter others from attacking it, or at the minimum to be able to defend itself from aggressors. For example, the US should at least be in a position to counter all of the ballistic missiles that seem to be growing in numbers all over the world, latest being North Korea and China. So military spending is not a luxury, it is a necessity.
Libby
I would use it to start organic home and community gardening programs in every city and town in America. I'm pretty sure a billion would cover it, because it would emphasize starting from seeds and composting and using recycled building materials, so most of the costs would be hiring people to teach and buying small plots of land in depressed neighborhoods (around here, that's less than $7000). It would be all about getting food for as little money as possible. This would help with nutrition and health and community autonomy.

If it was successful in getting people to spend less on food, and spend nothing on fertilizers, pesticides, GMO plants, etc., then it would also totally ****** up the economy. So win/win.
Afaceinthematrix
deanhills wrote:
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
I believe that spending money on war is bad (because war is morally wrong),
Whether it is morally wrong or not, there is a need for any country to have some form of military preparedness, so as to at least deter others from attacking it, or at the minimum to be able to defend itself from aggressors. For example, the US should at least be in a position to counter all of the ballistic missiles that seem to be growing in numbers all over the world, latest being North Korea and China. So military spending is not a luxury, it is a necessity.


And I also said that spending money on the military is a good idea... But nothing will change my opinion that war is morally wrong.
deanhills
Afaceinthematrix wrote:
And I also said that spending money on the military is a good idea... But nothing will change my opinion that war is morally wrong.
Regrettably the world is more morally wrong than morally right. There is a BIG shortage of morals. So it is nice to meet at least a few people on this forum who have strong moral beliefs. Smile In the meanwhile the United States has to protect its citizens from immoral people with bad intent, consequences of which are being military prepared at all times and to engage in war, such as had to happen after Pearl Harbour for example. Smile
smartdude
War makes us back to stone age..... Education bring us to technology age....
Nothing good about war.... We Are Ruin..
Think of it...
Hogwarts
smartdude wrote:
War makes us back to stone age..... Education bring us to technology age....
Nothing good about war.... We Are Ruin..
Think of it...


Of course! There were absolutely no major technical advancements caused by World War I or World War II!
deanhills
Hogwarts wrote:

Of course! There were absolutely no major technical advancements caused by World War I or World War II!
Like the brevity and simplicity of your comments, always brings a smile Laughing Totally agreed of course. Quite a lot of technology from World War II and the one that jumps to mind immediately is the good old Volkswagen. On a more serious note communications, and then research into materials and use of more efficient materials in manufacturing of equipment. Etc. etc Smile
Related topics
why should we pay stupid people to rebuild their homes?
Rigid School system in Asia
An Exam I Wrote In Another Class [Not Really A 'Joke']
Bush's Border Buffoonery
What is more important, education or war?
Obesity
Most interesting war
Legalize Downloading Movies and Music for certain Groups
IBM profiting from the Nazi in 2nd world war
India Tests a Ballistic Missile!
Recession.....NOT
Politics in Pakistan
War changes the economy!
US National Debt!
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Lifestyle and News -> Economics and Marketing

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.