FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Motorolla Atrix and dual-core in a phone

snowboardalliance
For those of you who haven't heard, http://www.google.com/search?q=motorola+atrix

Dual core, 1GB RAM, HDMI out, plus the "usual" smartphone features for a new Android phone.
I just got a Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S), and I thought that was cool, but this...wow

So what are your thoughts now that cell phones are getting to be this powerful?
silverdown
Dang, I use tracphone has all the features i need, callout and receive.... enough for me.
ahnguye5
It's awesome that they've made a laptop that you can dock this thing too. You have the power in your pocket.
mahirh
so , does this mean that in a few years we can see mobiles having more processing power than computers
ahnguye5
mahirh wrote:
so , does this mean that in a few years we can see mobiles having more processing power than computers

Definitely, phones nowadays already have better specs than computers we were using a decade ago. I'm thinking about the 1 GHz Pentium III, 128 MB RAM Compaq Presario I had in 2000.
snowboardalliance
mahirh wrote:

Well, if you compare today's computers with "tomorrow's" cell phones, then yes.

However, I don't believe that we will ever have cell phones outpace laptops and especially not desktops. Just now as cell phones with two-cores and 1GB RAM are coming out, Intel is working on a 50+ core processor for desktops and over 8GB of RAM isn't unheard of. Sure those are extreme ends of the spectrum, but the point is, whatever can be done on a cell phone, can be more powerful in a larger device.
weableandbob
That looks awesome. Phones seem to be getting closer and closer to something like a netbook over time. Better hardware, more functionality, etc.
snowboardalliance
weableandbob wrote:
That looks awesome. Phones seem to be getting closer and closer to something like a netbook over time. Better hardware, more functionality, etc.

At the same time, netbooks seem to be getting closer to a laptop, which are getting closer to a desktop... (this is looking only at the high-end/cutting edge of each of those categories).

I suppose in that light, this is just a natural progression.

What's next? Embedded computers becoming as powerful as smart phones? Those seem to be the next lowest computers on the totem pole.
mahirh
ahnguye5 wrote:
mahirh wrote:

Definitely, phones nowadays already have better specs than computers we were using a decade ago. I'm thinking about the 1 GHz Pentium III, 128 MB RAM Compaq Presario I had in 2000.

well , i actually meant to compare the phones in the future and the desktops of the future
snowboardalliance
mahirh wrote:
ahnguye5 wrote:
mahirh wrote:

well , i actually meant to compare the phones in the future and the desktops of the future

In that case I'm skeptical. If you can put something in a phone sized device, then you can probably put MORE in a desktop. Be it more memory, extra processors, etc.

I think phones will always lag their larger counterparts in terms of power. Still, it's really cool how far we've come. I still remember those early cell phones the size of large cordless phones (like pre-Nokia brick phones that always had snake installed).
ahnguye5
Desktops are always going to be more beefy than mobile devices. When blogs say that the desktop is dead or is dying, of course they're referring to the segment of the market that do not use software that requires a strong, heat-producing CPU and GPU (e.g. games, video editnig, etc.). I for one, still prefer to have a desktop at home no matter how powerful laptops become.
william
When this was revealed along with the laptop dock, I said to myself, "Yes! This will be my next phone." And I was actually thrilled it was on AT&T, because that meant it used GSM (ie. a SIM card). However, now that pricing it out, it's a bit outrageous. I mean, $200 with a contract for the phone is fine. But if you want to get the phone with the dock, it's $500 with contract (for the phone and the dock). If you want just the dock, it's $500. After seeing the price of the dock, I was turned off and figured money would be better spend on a netbook or ultraportable plus some other phone. Granted, besides the LG dual core phone it is the most powerful phone out there. But with the way Android phones are advancing, it won't be that way for long.
QrafTee
I'm going to have to hang onto my HTC Droid Incredible for awhile longer.
ahnguye5
william wrote:
When this was revealed along with the laptop dock, I said to myself, "Yes! This will be my next phone." And I was actually thrilled it was on AT&T, because that meant it used GSM (ie. a SIM card). However, now that pricing it out, it's a bit outrageous. I mean, $200 with a contract for the phone is fine. But if you want to get the phone with the dock, it's $500 with contract (for the phone and the dock). If you want just the dock, it's $500. After seeing the price of the dock, I was turned off and figured money would be better spend on a netbook or ultraportable plus some other phone. Granted, besides the LG dual core phone it is the most powerful phone out there. But with the way Android phones are advancing, it won't be that way for long.

I agree with you. The reason that I wouldn't buy this is mainly because of the price and the fact that the hardware will become outdated, if not in six months then definitely in two years. To spend that much money to get locked in a contract is not appealing. The reason is similar to why contract netbooks weren't very popular. Don't get me wrong, the idea is amazing but I'd rather carry around a laptop with a full fledged desktop granted I won't have mobile internet. There are rumors that AT&T is going to charge extra to tether to the laptop anyways so that's extra money out of your pocket.