FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Why do so many girls pout instead of smile in pics?

watersoul
Over the last few years (and especially in Fbook profile pics etc) I've noticed that hardly any girls seem to smile anymore. I've got loads of attractive female friends who look really lovely with a beaming smile when we're out having a laugh, but as soon as the camera points in their direction, their lips automatically morph into this silly pseudo-model-wannabe fish-face pout!

All my mates agree that it's a bit annoying and does nothing to make them look more attractive - in fact it's the opposite in most of our eyes and we secretly laugh at their efforts to look like supermodels.

Is it just a UK thing or worldwide as well? Have you noticed the same trend? ...or are you a supporter of the contrived pouting lips.

Smile and the world smiles with you...pout, and you look like a fish! Lol Wink
iman
Yeah, smiling looks a lot better. People look a lot better when they smile, when they look happy. I have absolutely no idea why they'd want to pout instead. o_O I'm not attracted.
Ankhanu
Unfortunately, duck-face is a worldwide phenomenon. It's ridiculous and I can't say I understand it... but obviously they think it's cool.
watersoul
Lol @Duckface, that's a much better description for it!
deanhills
What about those fashion models who are strutting their stuff. I've always wondered why they never smile. Also fashion shoots. Rarely a smile, mostly a pout. Guess Victoria Beckham has perfected the pout? It is her trade mark.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
Guess Victoria Beckham has perfected the pout? It is her trade mark.

Urgh! She's the worst for it, I say cheer up Victoria you miserable looking cow, nice little family, successful husband (on top of her own success in 'music' & fashion), all the material things you could realistically want and a face like permanent thunder!

[/rant] Laughing
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Guess Victoria Beckham has perfected the pout? It is her trade mark.

Urgh! She's the worst for it, I say cheer up Victoria you miserable looking cow, nice little family, successful husband (on top of her own success in 'music' & fashion), all the material things you could realistically want and a face like permanent thunder!

[/rant] Laughing
She's great on presentation, not sure how real most of it is? But yes, she does have a nice family. Maybe the Victoria we see in public is not who she really is. It's part of a show and business?
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
...Maybe the Victoria we see in public is not who she really is...

...just like most of the pics of my female friends who are normally beaming rays of sunny smiles when a camera isn't pointing at them, it's a mystery for sure - where's Scooby Doo when I need him?!
standready
deanhills wrote:
What about those fashion models who are strutting their stuff. I've always wondered why they never smile. Also fashion shoots. Rarely a smile, mostly a pout.

Would you smile when you are thinking about that double cheeseburger, fries and chocolate shake you can't have because you might gain an ounce and lose your gig? I would have a pout face!
deanhills
standready wrote:
deanhills wrote:
What about those fashion models who are strutting their stuff. I've always wondered why they never smile. Also fashion shoots. Rarely a smile, mostly a pout.

Would you smile when you are thinking about that double cheeseburger, fries and chocolate shake you can't have because you might gain an ounce and lose your gig? I would have a pout face!
Maybe more like a panic face! Smile
ocalhoun
Well, it was once fashionable to look solemn during photos, before smiling in photos became popular.

... Perhaps the fashion is changing again.

(I'm sure that back in the day, people thought that those who smiled in photos looked silly too.)
watersoul
ocalhoun wrote:
Well, it was once fashionable to look solemn during photos, before smiling in photos became popular.

... Perhaps the fashion is changing again.

(I'm sure that back in the day, people thought that those who smiled in photos looked silly too.)

I'd always thought that was more to do with the long exposure time for the old-school cameras?
(and I think I'd probably prefer the look of a straight solemn face to a put-on pout)
driftingfe3s
I hate it when girls do this. I guess they don't know how ridiculous they look doing it. Maybe us males should make more aggressive comments as to the ridiculousness of how the duck face looks so that they will make note not to keep doing it in the future.
toasterintheoven
it's called emo, I blame it on the ever-growing presence of digital cameras, people can take a picture with anything these days, so more than ever, especially girls, people are self-conscious of their appearance, smiling isn't as begging for acceptance as pouting I'd say especially when done properly it can show as somewhat seductive, more so if eye contact is made ("why the heck is she pouting at me...?")
ankitdatashn
I don't think it is a worldwide thing, atleast in India I find girls pasting snaps of them smiling in social networking sites like facebook and orkut. So it depends on the nation and its culture and trends and can vary from place to place...
Cheeldash
Here in Italy we call it chicken face. It's orrible, it's the expression of a part of the new generations who relies on fame much more than the previous did. It not matters more to show that you're happy or any other feeling you have, but that you can act as a vip, that you can look like a famous people.
watersoul
Well, so far we have:

UK = Fish face
Canada = Duck face
Italy = Chicken face

Laughing

India = doesn't appear to be a problem

Cheeldash wrote:
it's the expression of a part of the new generations who relies on fame much more than the previous did. It not matters more to show that you're happy or any other feeling you have, but that you can act as a vip, that you can look like a famous people.

I think you may be on to something there Cheeldash, aspirations of being a 'D' list 'celebrity' or a footballers wife/girlfriend perhaps. Just a pity it all seems so shallow to me.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:

I think you may be on to something there Cheeldash, aspirations of being a 'D' list 'celebrity' or a footballers wife/girlfriend perhaps. Just a pity it all seems so shallow to me.
Maybe we can call that VIP Face or Celebrity Face then ..... Very Happy
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:

Wannabe face?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:

Wannabe face?
Laughing Laughing Laughing That IS a GOOD one Laughing
debjitbiswas
Actually i found lots of pity girls are not willing to give their shot.
Weird .
ProfessorY91
The duckface will forever haunt us. Sad
cadbrent
I feel most of the girls are shy before the camera, and don't smile. Embarassed
missdixy
Ugh, memories of my high school years!! Lol. I used to take some pouty-photos when I was in highschool, and in retrospect I think it's because for some reason it made me feel cuter. I can't really explain why. I do, however, to this day hate how my cheeks look in pictures when I smile so maybe that was part of it? Also, I was sort of into the whole "emo" scene back then and I didn't smile very much.

I agree with toasterintheoven, too, that maybe this kind of look is an attempt at being more seductive/serious than just having a big happy smile.
Nameless
They're pouting because they just realised that they don't have penises.

AWWW YEAH. Cool
menino
I think that most girls who pout on facebook, is because they are posers... Very Happy
I mean the old way of posing was smiling... older ways was just waiting for the camera flash and holding still.
The new way of posing for girls is pout, I guess.
There's also pics of girls I've noticed, that bend their necks to either side - right or left, and smile... thats another pose.
Either way, if they want to pose on facebook, let 'em. I guess they are trying to be e-famous.
Insanity
Because they think it looks better than smiling. They are often wrong.
TurtleShell
I have a friend who does the pouty face a lot on FB. I don't get it myself, but then I just realized that MY FB photo is not a smiling face at all. It was taken from the side, and I was looking down. It was taken on a vacation in central America, when we were in this Mayan woman's house and she was showing us how to make corn tortillas, and I was in the middle of doing this thing making the corn tortillas. But I think I'm looking very solemn in the picture, and in fact at the time I WAS upset about something that had to do with my family and honey I had just given away without thinking about it. Why did I choose to use this picture for my profile? I promise I wasn't trying to look sexy or alluring--but it's not a "duck face" anyway. It's a profile picture and I don't know if I even knew it was being taken. an odd question to ponder.
Helios
Eh, I thought about writing something serious here, but gave up.
Women are weird, so I'll not even try to explain the phenomenon of women making strange faces... probably related to their genetic insecurity or something like that (bad attempt trying to explain).
I do worry when guys post a duckface pic Razz
TurtleShell
agreed. women are weird.
Helios
TurtleShell wrote:
agreed. women are weird.

And you, lady, have negative points which you should take care of! *duckface*
TurtleShell
omg, the list of things I need to do is a thousand miles long. Ah, yes, let me see here...page 14, item #516: bring up negative points in frihost.

Just one of the many, many obligations I'm working to fullfill. It's a new year and I'm a new me, and I'm working on my negative points. Thanks for the reminder, helios:)

is my avatar kind of making duckface?
watersoul
Helios wrote:

That made me laugh! Maybe I'll get some mates to strike a duck/fish/chicken/wannabe pose next time we're out after a few drinks! Laughing
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
Helios wrote:

That made me laugh! Maybe I'll get some mates to strike a duck/fish/chicken/wannabe pose next time we're out after a few drinks! Laughing
The chicken pose should be a good one .... Smile
LostOverThere
Helios wrote:

Yo, you talkin' bad about mah avatar, mister? Shame on you
watersoul
LostOverThere wrote:
Helios wrote:

Lol! Your avatar is actually better looking than some of the silly pouts I've seen...at least it's natural! Laughing
Helios
LostOverThere wrote:
Helios wrote:

I guess it doesn't count if you're a duck to begin with. Laughing
deanhills
Helios wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
Helios wrote:

Or Angelina Jolie? Her's is a natural ..... Very Happy
nigam
deanhills wrote:
Helios wrote:
LostOverThere wrote:
Helios wrote:

Or Angelina Jolie? Her's is a natural ..... Very Happy

nice one!!! is it really natural?
nezam
missdixy wrote:
Ugh, memories of my high school years!! Lol. I used to take some pouty-photos when I was in highschool, and in retrospect I think it's because for some reason it made me feel cuter. I can't really explain why. I do, however, to this day hate how my cheeks look in pictures when I smile so maybe that was part of it? Also, I was sort of into the whole "emo" scene back then and I didn't smile very much.

I agree with toasterintheoven, too, that maybe this kind of look is an attempt at being more seductive/serious than just having a big happy smile.

Nice to see ppl taking it as a positive thread and trying to improvise! Good! Very Happy
ocalhoun
nigam wrote:

I doubt it.
Even if there is no surgery there, there's surely some airbrushing going on.
deanhills
nigam wrote:
The lips are natural. With regard to the face, I have to agree with Ocalhoun, there could have been some air brushing to remove blemishes and wrinkles. I don't see air brushing as a necessarily bad thing at all however. Having said that, there is more to her face than just "a face". I sometimes wonder how two people with the same kind of face, can look so completely different. One of them looking posh, and the other one just average. There has to be something of the personality that makes the person hold their head in a way that makes for beautiful portrait studies. A spark of something that is uniquely their own.
toasterintheoven
haha oh man that's brilliant, I never compared Angelina Jolie's face to that of a duck's, it's perfect, I always thought she looked like a fish, like her father
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
There has to be something of the personality that makes the person hold their head in a way that makes for beautiful portrait studies. A spark of something that is uniquely their own.

... or airbrushing ^.^

As technology improves, less and less of what you see is real. Especially in 'portrait studies'.
Heck, even normal family portraits are often airbrushed these days, if you have them taken by a professional photographer.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Heck, even normal family portraits are often airbrushed these days, if you have them taken by a professional photographer.
Right, one can even change one's shoes in a photo, or add someone to the photo, as though they had been there when it was taken. Can become quite "dishonest" after a while.
Nameless
ocalhoun wrote:

Who does this, and where might my palm find their cheeks. Neutral
ocalhoun
Nameless wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Many (if not most) professional photographers do this, especially for 'important' photos like graduation photos or wedding photos.
nezam
Indeed
iyepes
My friends and I still smile, I suppose we are grown enough to know we have no supermodel chances, ha, ha, ha.

I think is a teenager attitude, like many other thinks, it will change with time.
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
Nameless wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:

Many (if not most) professional photographers do this, especially for 'important' photos like graduation photos or wedding photos.

Virtually ALL professional photographers post-process their shots; whether it's a family portrait or high fashion. Most don't go as far as, say, fashion magazines, but at least a little touching up is done.
Nameless
Well, I just saved myself a few bucks and cost myself some friggin' around with the camera next time I want a family portrait.
Ankhanu
Don't forget the lighting and backdrops!
Studio equipment, even really basic stuff, is expensive Wink
Asap170
Smiling is a lot better, but I think it's because girls aren't ready for random picture moments so they are stressed out about there looks. Just a guess/opinion.
ocalhoun
Ankhanu wrote:
Don't forget the lighting and backdrops!
Studio equipment, even really basic stuff, is expensive Wink

Outdoors in a beautiful (and real) natural setting is cheap. ^.^
Ankhanu
This is true... but often still requires additional lighting or methods of reflecting/amplifying natural light... if you want a picture with good results, at least. Outdoor photography presents many difficulties not found in a studio setting, despite that, I personally prefer natural light and settings for my own efforts. Natural settings are inconsistently lit, and ambient light levels may not be adequate to capture a sharp image. The chances of having under and over exposed areas within frame and even within the subjects is pretty great.

Generally, the photoshopping that is done by pro and amateur alike on a product that they're going to sell will largely be tone and exposure corrections, cropping and the like; all stuff that would be done in a dark room with traditional film. Most are not seeking to "airbrush" the subjects... but some do. It's a REALLY good idea to look through a photographer's portfolio before hiring them or paying a sitting fee. You can also tell them what you would like to see in your final product.
I've gotta say, I don't know of a single pro or semi-pro photographer that will release prints to the public that have not faced some post-processing scrutiny (I've known a few, having worked at a camera/photo processing shop, but it's also a small city). It's a little like an author publishing a first draft. This is their livelihood, every piece that they release is a reflection on their craft, their skill... on them. They're going to make sure that even the worst example looks good.

With all this in mind, I really don't think duck-face has anything to do with not expecting the photo and worrying about how they'll look. A lot of these photos are posed and staged; they know it's coming, they're prepared... and for whatever reason, they want a duck's bill. Perhaps it has something to do with appreciating monotremes or anseriformes? Somehow I doubt that though Wink
CheDragon
I guess they wanna look interesting xP
emanuel2
yes thats really a true fact Very Happy

maybe they want to look serious Question
or just more sexy? I don't know xD
LostOverThere
ocalhoun wrote:
As technology improves, less and less of what you see is real.

Sorry for the late reply. While this is definitely true, post production changing reality isn't by any means a new thing. Just look at some of the Soviet Union's efforts in image manipulation!
deanhills
LostOverThere wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
As technology improves, less and less of what you see is real.

Sorry for the late reply. While this is definitely true, post production changing reality isn't by any means a new thing. Just look at some of the Soviet Union's efforts in image manipulation!
As well as the rest of the world, including the US. I sometimes wonder whether some of the US and Soviet policies especially during the cold war era was along the lines: "everything you can do, we can do better". Either the one perfected the art of manipulation of the other, or if that did not work, stole it. Twisted Evil
foumy6
I think that it's because they think that it's cute, some times it is though other times not as much :/
Insanity
I think it is because they think it looks more sexy than if they smiled. Smiling isn't really sexy. But looking like a duck might be for them at least. I don't know about that though.
ProwerBot
Simple answer: Smiling in a picture is just plain boring.