FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How many people actually enjoy there "job"?

Do you enjoy your current job?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 8

coolclay
One of my goals in life is to make sure that where ever I work, or end up doing for money, I enjoy it. Life is way to short in my opinion to work doing something you don't enjoy, because in the end we all die, and if our time on Earth is just spent doing something you don't enjoy than what's the point. I know it's a selfish outlook but, if people did things they enjoy I think our world would be a much happier place. Obviously no one can enjoy every part of what they do but, if it doesn't make you at least a little happy than whats the point.

I work as a marine science instructor teaching 4-12th graders about the marine environment, taking them snorkeling, kayaking and hiking. Trying to open the eyes of our young people to the world we live in and how to protect it. I enjoy this job but it's not a sustainable position because I work at a remote location on an island. So am looking to move on in the coming year to either a new better position elsewhere, or continue my education in grad. school.

I was just curious about people here on Frihost and how many to things they enjoy, and come home after work smiling or are worn out and stressed.
Ghost Rider103
If you ever find a job that you enjoy, isn't stressful and can make a living doing it.... then you've got it made.

I enjoy my job most of the time, but i often get overloaded with work and causes me a lot of stress. So im sort of inbetween your question. Yes i enjoy it, but yes i often find myself totally whipped and stress.

I personally dont know of anyone who doesnt get at least some stress from their job.

But perhaps there is a fine line between enjoying your job and being able to at least stand it.
iman
There's no point in staying in your current job for a pretty long time if you don't love your job.
As for me, I find bliss in sitting in front of the pc all day, so I took a programming job.
standready
I enjoy my job but not the stress that goes with it.
inuyasha
I'm still a student now, but I'm sure I will enjoy my future job Very Happy , since I'm reading my favorite major. It's said to be quite tiring, since technologies in the field develops at a high rate. But I will love it.
rayxzero
I love my job but I'm working almost 4 years in my company and i get bored now.
turizmanimasyonu
We entertainer you, enjoy the life, feel the sun, see blue sea because we are animateur:) join us work where other only vacation find a dream job at www.animasyonokulu.com more than 7k hotels seeking employe.
mexiwithacan
rayxzero wrote:
I love my job but I'm working almost 4 years in my company and i get bored now.

I sort of felt the same way at my old company, so after 2.5 years I moved into a slightly different position with a new organization. The same general job duties can feel completely different in a new environment, so I highly recommend going that route to get a breath of fresh professional air.

I think for some people who really enjoy their jobs, it's hard to separate work from "life" because work is just that damned interesting and engaging. I sometimes find it difficult to balance my enjoyment of my work with my familial obligations and other interests.

However, I do wish I could get paid for all the extra time I spend on job-related activities above the 35 hours a week included in my salary.
crimson_aria
The one career quote that had me was from Oprah. I was watching it once and she said, "do what you love and find a way to get paid for it." It hit me so hard. I had a job for a few months and I realized for that span of time that it wasn't a career I wanted to grow old in. The company was great, and many believed I was giving up an opportunity. But, the thing is, I wasn't happy. Life IS too short to be unhappy. It's great to have the privilege but if you're not passionate about it, i do not think it is worth it. Now I believe I found the job that I love. I'm happy I gave up my previous one and took the risk, I'm happier. and now I wouldn't feel like working too hard, cause even if I do, at least it's something I love working hard for.
mexiwithacan
crimson_aria wrote:
Now I believe I found the job that I love. I'm happy I gave up my previous one and took the risk, I'm happier. and now I wouldn't feel like working too hard, cause even if I do, at least it's something I love working hard for.

crimson_aria, I think the quote you gave was a very practical adaptation of the "follow your passion" philosophy. I would have fully bought into the idea before I married, but with a family to sustain and responsibilities to meet, I find that the balance between passion and compensation tips more and more in favor of compensation. In other words, I find it increasingly difficult in role as husband and brother-in-law to justify the risk involved with leaving my current job and developing my interests to the point of profitability.

If I may ask you, and feel free to abstain from answering... Are you able to sustain or even improve upon your previous standard of living by switching to a job that better fits your interests?
toasterintheoven
I'm not going to answer that poll since I don't have a job but I just want to say a lot of people like me have it difficult because they're not people persons but they sincerely enjoy what they do, and it's so hard to find positions where you're allowed to work from home. It's something that should be addressed more because there are weird and crazy things happening at the work place, it's not just something that's reminded by the movie Office Space or Bukowski's "Postal Office," but a lot of people work out of necessity and don't really pay mind to all the problems they carry around with them.

I'm sorry if that sounded like a total digression, which I think it did.
mexiwithacan
toasterintheoven wrote:
... they're not people persons but they sincerely enjoy what they do, and it's so hard to find positions where you're allowed to work from home.

You still have to pay the bills somehow, though. Also, working from home does not fully remove one from workplace interactions, since the manager will still want to communicate to all of his direct reports. But I think working from home can definitely be a feature of the job that you really enjoy.
deanhills
toasterintheoven wrote:
I'm not going to answer that poll since I don't have a job but I just want to say a lot of people like me have it difficult because they're not people persons but they sincerely enjoy what they do, and it's so hard to find positions where you're allowed to work from home. It's something that should be addressed more because there are weird and crazy things happening at the work place, it's not just something that's reminded by the movie Office Space or Bukowski's "Postal Office," but a lot of people work out of necessity and don't really pay mind to all the problems they carry around with them.

I'm sorry if that sounded like a total digression, which I think it did.
All of what you say makes great sense toasterintheoven. Lots of things can happen at work that has nothing to do with work. People compete heavily with one another to get a job, and once they are in the job they have to compete heavily with others to stay in the job. So people are mostly focused on keeping their jobs and themselves safe. I don't think many people are happy in their jobs and they would go to any lengths to present themselves to the optimum even if it is at the expense of their co-workers. Some see their employment more as a means of income to support their families as well. Others see it as a career where they would like to reach the top as soon as they can. Even if it means a few casualties along the way.

I like your idea of looking at a way to earn income from the Internet, by perhaps starting your own business. That is a really good idea.
sketteksalfa
By experience, i only got to enjoy my job in the middle phase. But once you get things routinary and you get used very much to it then you will find yourself looking for another job.
c'tair
Wow, everyone seems to love their jobs. Well, I personally find it bearable but only because I know I'm going to quit in a few months. If I was supposed to stay their for years, I'd probably do off with myself. But the perspective of learning from it, including it in my CV and then changing for something different seems quite good.
menino
I love my job. I work as a system / network administrator, and work in cloud computing and webhosting services, so I get to learn new things everyday.

The only thing I do not enjoy is my bosses and some of the people that I work with.
coolclay
I am happily surprised by the results of the poll, and comments. I understand the difficulty dropping a job that supports not only oneself but a family to find something that you enjoy. Hopefully you can someday get that opportunity. I am hoping to get myself in a position that provides both entertainment, challenge, reward, and financial support before I have a family.

I think one of the things that results in workplace happiness besides a good boss, and others is a job role that changes and that keeps things challenging, and different. Once things gets stale I feel like anyone would get bored and not enjoy there job as much.
noobcake
I work part-time as a software developer. (I'm a student). I've always enjoyed programming, so work isn't too bad. There are some really nice things about working (learning new things, work from home, having money), but I miss the freedom of working at my own pace on my own projects. Still, overall I'm enjoying it.
Insanity
Well I don't really enjoy my job at the moment because it's mostly menial labor and boring intern-level work. I wish I was doing something a lot more exciting with my life, but that'll have to wait until I've gotten a Ph.D or something similar where I can make a lot more money and be able to get the jobs that actually interest me. There are a lot of people like this, who work in minimal wage paying jobs just so they can pay the bills, and because it's so easy to get jobs like that.
emanuel2
I do not work because I didn't work (therefore I didn't vote of course). I am just finishing my studies. I made sure that I study the right things that I like to do (computer science/information systems). I really hope I find a job that I will like, for a long time. Of course it would be additionally nice if I earn the "right" amount of money with it.