FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Australlia Floods

Super-Maniac
:O Australlia's Been flooded!! :O

What do you have to say about it, 9 People and 3 children have currently been killed !

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/11/australian-floods-queensland-brisbane-evacuations
lovescience
I read about fish floating on water because of flooding in the area.

I think people live in the area where have rivers should be more caution especially in the season of rain.

I am thinking about sea level and river. Would that be a way that nature is making its way to higher its sea level because of global warming?
baabaa
Has it occurred to you that all cities grow from settlements that are founded on rivers or a convenient place on the coast.
People build businesses there not 10 miles inland.
It may not be possible in Australia but I do think that in the UK regular dredging of rivers would stop them silting up and give greater depth in times of heavy rain.
The thing that I do think wrong is that builders are allowed to build large developments of houses on flood plains.
In the UK we have a rigid system of planning but they still want to build in the Thames Valley and probably bribe planners to let them do it.
watersoul
I just think it's an ongoing tragedy that has affected lot's of folk who deserve our thoughts at this time.
Yes there is a planning issue about building on flood plains, but the last time something of this scale appeared in Australia was in 1974 so I guess the planners felt it was worth the risk.

There are many homes in the UK who cannot get insurance anymore because of the risk of flooding and I certainly wouldn't live in an 'at risk' area if I can choose not to - I live on a cliff top above a beach so I assume I'm pretty safe apart from erosion issues.

Not everyone has the luxury of real choice though, so ignoring the how's and why's for a moment I just feel kind of sad for all the people affected by this once in a generation disaster.
deanhills
@ Watersoul. Good points. And totally agreed. People also get attached to their homes. They know they live in a flood stricken area, and just hope they will escape the next time round. Some people take it as a matter of course, and make sure that they have an exit plan in the eventuality of a flood. They can of course not really predict how severe it will be.
inuyasha
Sorry to hear that. Hope there's no more death. By the way, what caused the floods? Heavy rain?
lovescience
Here is a link to BBC News
Why is Australia suffering severe flooding?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12159429
lovescience
baabaa wrote:
Has it occurred to you that all cities grow from settlements that are founded on rivers or a convenient place on the coast.
People build businesses there not 10 miles inland.
It may not be possible in Australia but I do think that in the UK regular dredging of rivers would stop them silting up and give greater depth in times of heavy rain.
The thing that I do think wrong is that builders are allowed to build large developments of houses on flood plains.
In the UK we have a rigid system of planning but they still want to build in the Thames Valley and probably bribe planners to let them do it.

Yes, in history, maritime transport could be a reason why people choose to start business and build city around coast and river. Places have less rainfall and ground or air transportation, people, animal and agriculture would most likely to choose to live and start around river.

Quote:
Floods are the result of a multitude of naturally occurring and human-induced factors, but they all can be defined as the accumulation of too much water in too little time in a specific area. Types of floods include regional floods, flash floods, ice-jam floods, storm-surge floods, dam- and levee-failure floods, and debris, landslide, and mudflow floods.

http://ks.water.usgs.gov/pubs/fact-sheets/fs.024-00.html

Maybe from real time data of weather, and programmed computer and human observation, people would be able to foresee a time when people need to evacuate from a place. And people should know how to evacuate to a safe place in time.

Should people have a boat for living on flood plain?
deanhills
lovescience wrote:
Maybe from real time data of weather, and programmed computer and human observation, people would be able to foresee a time when people need to evacuate from a place. And people should know how to evacuate to a safe place in time.
I wonder how many times they actually knew, however did not want to sound the alarm bell just in the 1% chance that the weather would blow itself out in an opposite direction? I'm almost certain the weather people are much better able to predict weather than we give them credit for, but it is at the political level stage where the unpopular announcement has to be made by local Government that the real problem lies. They don't want to cause panic, they don't want to risk being sued by business people for an evacuation decision based on a weather prediction that did not pan out. And they may get to lose their campaign money when they stand for election.
standready
What a terrible tragedy considering damage and loss of life. All this, after suffering through a long drought period.
deanhills
standready wrote:
What a terrible tragedy considering damage and loss of life. All this, after suffering through a long drought period.
Right, and did they not have real bad bush fires two years ago, of the very extreme category? Looks as though they are really being tested?
Source: Cnet
Cliffer
terrible tragedy of the earth! maybe in the near future,maybe 50 years or so in the future,many more lands on the earth would happen terrible flood. the climate is changing too fast.
deanhills
Cliffer wrote:
terrible tragedy of the earth! maybe in the near future,maybe 50 years or so in the future,many more lands on the earth would happen terrible flood. the climate is changing too fast.
Right, and some islands or coastal areas my not exist any more either. Apparently the Maldives for example is at risk of being completely submerged for example.
aifm
I think it's a great idea! I can't even fathom this kind of loss. It's very sad!
I can only support and share the sentiments of all the other operators in this time. Only wish i was closer to be able to lend a hand.
Humanista
Where / When / How appear a solution?
Natural disasters and global warming are issues that we do not will see answer for a long time. But the losts of the affected humans can be reduced drastically. Each of us can to think as humanity (WE are part of the humanity, we don't?): we have sciences to identify risk in the places and have resources to build protections, to build better ways to live or simply change the needy people.

Why we need invest in war? Is it a solution or a multiplier of problems?
Why we need a fashion industry that almost nobody dress?
Why some people "need" have luxurious things or expensive rare things?

The policy must be changed! Humanized! And each one have a little power of to decide, to make something or not, standards-based and political debate-based.

Make

our

choice!

Explanation: Anyone can think as "we people" and make a choice for/to all of us, listening the thought of the others.

Hugs