FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

How do i improve my voice?

jossylala
Hello all, i love listening to music and i know that i could really get to sing well someday but rightnow my voice is terrible. How do i get to improve my voice? any advise?
Regards
gverutes
use one of those pitch modulators -- that's what all the recording artists with bad voices use.
Ankhanu
The answer is deceptively simple: practice.
The voice is just like any instrument, with lots of practice and challenging one's self you'll progress and gain skill. Learn some theory, this way you'll learn how to harmonize, as well as how to alter rhythm and the like to create different moods or feelings...

Do you have access to lessons?
rogue_skydragon
Avoid smoking. Stay hydrated.
tingkagol
Search Brett Manning on Youtube. He has some pretty useful tips.
menino
Practise makes perfect.
Also to sooth your throat, use lemon and honey water.

Also, you should try singing from the gut instead of the throat.

Good luck, and hope to hear you someday.
jossylala
Okay thanks guys for the useful tips..am gonna try all the suggestions..but for the pitch softwares, where do i get such?
Regards
Ankhanu
Even just something like a cheap (or free) keyboard/piano emulator (or a cheap keyboard) will do the job. Press a key, it plays a pitch, you match it.
silverdown
Practice makes perfect Smile
standready
rogue_skydragon wrote:
Avoid smoking. Stay hydrated.

If you start playing clubs, the smoke will play havoc on your voice. That use to tear me apart so no smoking was allowed backstage.

Do you remember the old question "How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice."
egbe
Music is a collection of sound that are agreeable to the ear. The moment you have a feeling that your are not standing right gives room for an improvement. To improve your voice the following tips will be helpful.

- Avoid drinking extremely cold or hot water. Room temperature water is recommended.
- Eating extremely hot food should be avoided.
- Honey and lemon intake also helps too.
- Practice singing according to the particular pitch of the actual singer.

Don't be discouraged if it doesn't work out fats enough, "Practice makes perfect".

I really do hope this will help you dear friend.
gverutes
But smoking makes your voice raspy and sometimes that gives it character. a la Kurt Cobain.
nigam
try deep your body through your neck in the sea water and practice there singing....i got this tip from some famous singers in our country Smile let's see if this is helpful to you and let us all hear once you develop your voice. good luck and be positive Smile
Ankhanu
Here's a really simple (yet mildly profound) little video instruction from Bobby McFerrin; it's more general mindset advice than vocal technique, though technique is in there too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTB58ZmnudA
tingkagol
nigam wrote:
try deep your body through your neck in the sea water and practice there singing....i got this tip from some famous singers in our country Smile let's see if this is helpful to you and let us all hear once you develop your voice. good luck and be positive Smile

You don't happen to be living in the Philippines are you?
Quote:
Regine (Velasquez) always loved music and even before she could read, she was singing along with the family. Her father noticed her talent and decided to sign her up for small local singing competitions. He helped train her voice by having her sing while neck-deep in the ocean. Her mother also helped by teaching her how to move on stage and interpret songs.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regine_Velasquez

By the way, I find her voice really irritating.
flyingplatypus
tingkagol wrote:
Search Brett Manning on Youtube. He has some pretty useful tips.

Hey !!! I loved this guy videos !!!

Thank you very much !!! :-D
emanuel2
gverutes wrote:
But smoking makes your voice raspy and sometimes that gives it character. a la Kurt Cobain.

yeah a smoky voice is not allways bad, if it fits to your voice...
davidalpiano
Dont smoke.
Get a vocal couch
Practice scales at least 2 times 5min a day
Brett Manning's courses are superb! I would recommend you to buy the entire collection of Singing Success and Mastering Mix and not to google their torrents for free Wink
jossylala
Thank you all... have been working on my voice and i think am really improving. would soon be making a video and uploading online... The deeping your self in red sea thing worked too but rather than that, i used my bath tub... Thank you fellas...
Regards
TheGremlyn
I'm not a singer, and I don't pretend to be. What comes out of me probably makes cats sound good Razz

But the voice is an instrument and I know from my music teacher in high school that you have to practice. You have to practice warm up routines to warm your vocal chords up and you need to practice scales to try and improve your range.

You can improve how long you can hold a single note or line by practising. A little air can go a long way. You could break out a decent keyboard, learn the notes and try and sing along with the tones you hear so you can match up to the sounds you hear.

But it all boils down to practice. Don't forget to breath from your core, your diaphragm. That should help improve the quality and maybe even the power of your voice. I think I might recall my music teaching walking some vocal students through breathing exercises once, something that gym teachers use as cool down exercises prior to stretching or something.
sameerseo
You have to need some practice.
gandalfthegrey
1 - Practice
Do vocal exercises, the type singers use to warm up there voice.
You can get these materials online or at your local library.

2 - Drink lots of water

3 - Read Dr. Morton Cooper books on voice to make sure you arent doing something medically wrong to your voice. (Most common is forcing your voice far deeper down than it should be)
lucascoelho
Alright, I've seen many good tips so far, but let's reinforce it: practice! But for that, get your body and mind prepared.

So, first of all, relax. Find a recomforting place and moment to your practices. Start this practice by taking care of your body with a good stretching (respecting your limits), some massage (you can do it yourself, but if you ever get some help it's even better) and other good exercises you may know, because your body is your instrument also for singing, so you need it straight to begin with.

The next step would be the main part of that instrument: your vocal tract. Start warming up, just practicing your breathing (this actually starts when you are stretching), trying to keep some air, then taking deep breaths; this will help your breathing capacity to hold notes as already mentioned. Then you go to scales and notes, improving a little bit more on each exercise.

Well, it's a long way, but you gotta start it and take it easy, one step at a time. If you were to play the drums, you know you couldn't just hit them the harder you could to make a lot of noise. It wouldn't sound good and you'd probably break them. Same thing with a guitar or something, you have to gently touch them and know that just with time and practice you can notice some improvement.

I guess you got the idea, specially if you remember that you use that instrument (your voice) all the time (and we usually do this carelessly without noticing). Should also try avoiding smoking, too cold or hot drinks and all the others suggestions already made. Drinking water constantly also really helps! Smile
singaporechristian
Agreed that practice is actually the key!
Also you can try joining a band because the musicians and fellow vocalists may be able to give you quite good opinions on singing too.
testsoc
Practice practice practice!

And lessons - working with a singing teacher can really hone what your natural talent has given you, and you'll learn breathing techniques and others that will ensure you'll develop. There's no guarantee it'll make you a star, but you'll definitely improve.
likeabreeze
no shortcut at all,
don't be afraid to open your mouth,
sing as more as possible,
if you cant stand others laughing at you,
try finding a secluded place and sing out loud!
darthrevan
gverutes wrote:

That doesn't make you a great singer and of course Kurt wasn't the best singer, but don't get me wrong I liked Nirvana.
ekonomska
Voice is God Gifted, yes it true and fact, but it can be trained, this also a fact. Nobody is a born singer or narrator or voice artiste, you may have a sweet, melodious voice by birth but still your voice needs to be trained enough to modulate, variate and able to perform professionally for required time...
http://www.voiceartistes.com/article4.html
protestantreformation
ask for help
hamarat007
Thanks a lot.
sysna
Singing in bathroom helps you a lot to get a better voice, i recommend it ! it is working for me great !
Patricia1
The obvious thing would be to do lots of practice, and taking quality voice lessons would also be a great help. Take a look at this article. ezinearticles(dot)com/?Taking-the-Right-Singing-Lessons&id=7397356