FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Two dead after AZ Republicans cut medical coverage

handfleisch
After all of the Republican talk of "death panels" during Obama's historic victory for health care reform, we now see that it's the Republicans who send people to their death by denying health care coverage.

A more broad issue is-- what kind of country is the USA, or what kind of state is Arizona? The medical professionals are just sitting there and watching patients die because the sick people aren't rich.

I said it before and I'll say it again. If you want to see the future of the USA if the Tea Party/Right Wing has its way, look at Arizona.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/News/arizona-transplant-deaths/story?id=12559369

Quote:
Two Dead Since Arizona Medicaid Program Slashed Transplant Coverage
Hospital Confirms Former Patient Died While Awaiting Liver Transplant

Two Arizona Medicaid recipients denied potentially life-saving organ transplants have died, even as Arizona doctors, transplant survivors and some lawmakers push to restore health care benefits slashed last fall.

On Oct. 1, the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System stopped paying for seven types of transplants that the state's GOP governor, Jan Brewer, and GOP-led legislature said they could no longer afford. The state faces a projected $1 billion program deficit by July 2011.

They eliminated heart transplants for non-ischemic cardiomyopathy, lung transplants, pancreatic transplants, some bone marrow transplants, and liver transplants for patients infected with hepatitis C. Arizona also restricted coverage of prosthetics, eliminated podiatric services, preventive dental services, and wellness and physical exams for adult Medicaid enrollees.

A former University of Arizona Medical Center patient waiting for a new liver died on Dec. 28 -- the second person to die since the cuts went into effect, according to Dr. Rainer Gruessner, chairman of surgery at the University of Arizona Medical Center in Tucson.

This man is one of the people now dead thanks to Republican Governor Jan Brewer:

http://ktar.com/category/local-news-articles/20100930/AHCCCS-cuts-leave-father-of-six-facing-death/
jmi256
Simply another example of how hard the forced Obamacare fails. Instead of focusing on making costs lower and making healthcare more easily and readily available, Obama and the Democrats focused on increasing bureaucracy and passing on a huge payday in the form of forced purchasing of insurance by taxpayers to their political contributors in the insurance industry. It’s beyond sad, but rather criminal in my opinion. Only the most heartless on the left would describe what Obama and the Democrats have forced down our throats as a “historic victory”.
handfleisch
jmi256 wrote:
Simply another example of how hard the forced Obamacare fails. Instead of focusing on making costs lower and making healthcare more easily and readily available, Obama and the Democrats focused on increasing bureaucracy and passing on a huge payday in the form of forced purchasing of insurance by taxpayers to their political contributors in the insurance industry. It’s beyond sad, but rather criminal in my opinion. Only the most heartless on the left would describe what Obama and the Democrats have forced down our throats as a “historic victory”.

This Arizona case has nothing to do with Obama's health care reform and everything to do with GOPcare -- the Republican mismanagement of Arizona, which is well-documented and long-running. One thing you're right about though, it is "rather criminal". Besides that, it's quite amazing you can look at the face of the man who died and then just spew blatant lies about his death.
deanhills
@Handfleisch. This is tragic. But how do you propose the Arizona State Government get the necessary funds for the transplants, when apparently there are none available? If someone does not have money available for a very expensive operation, does one always blame the Government?

Also, I'm certain if you check into this that you will find many people dying in other States because there were no donors available at the time. They are put on a waiting list. And may die while waiting. That of course is also an enormous expense. Actually quite awful to think that they are waiting for someone to die so that they can get an organ transplant. But this could also have happened to the two people in the news story. Even if there were transplant services available, they could still have died if there had not been available donors.

This is also going to be interesting when the new health regulations are implemented, as there probably would need to be a ceiling on expenditure, and someone making an unpopular decision as far as expensive procedures are concerned. The US is an enormous population with a much higher percentage of older people, getting older and requiring expensive treatments than China for example, so it is not going to get easier in future. Given that the US is basically bankrupt and has no money to speak off, I can only wonder how it is going to fund expensive medical procedures like transplants for everyone on an escalating scale.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I can only wonder how it is going to fund expensive medical procedures like transplants for everyone on an escalating scale.

Somehow, I'm guessing the answer will be "Tax the rich people. They're evil and they don't deserve the money."
Voodoocat
Quote:
Two Arizona Medicaid recipients denied potentially life-saving organ transplants have died

If they were Medicaid recipients, why did Medicaid not pay for the operations? It appears that both the Feds AND Arizona refused to pay for the operations. This is the result of rationed health care and we better get used to it unless REAL health care reform occurs.
deanhills
Voodoocat wrote:
Quote:
Two Arizona Medicaid recipients denied potentially life-saving organ transplants have died

If they were Medicaid recipients, why did Medicaid not pay for the operations? It appears that both the Feds AND Arizona refused to pay for the operations. This is the result of rationed health care and we better get used to it unless REAL health care reform occurs.
Good question. Maybe we need more facts before a judgment is made.
coolclay
To take a man's death like this and use it to push your BS one-sided agenda, is disgusting Handfleisch. The solution is on neither side if our stigmatized political climate. Only when people work together for the common good of our country will anything at all change.

And Deanhills is correct this happens every single day, this is not an isolated event, people have health problems and they die. Maybe if every person in our country became a organ donor than we would have more spare parts. Maybe I should use this to push my mandatory organ donor agenda?
handfleisch
coolclay wrote:
To take a man's death like this and use it to push your BS one-sided agenda, is disgusting Handfleisch. The solution is on neither side if our stigmatized political climate. Only when people work together for the common good of our country will anything at all change.

To not know the politics behind the fact that this man was left to die is intentional ignorance and that's the BS you should be concerned about. In any other civilized country, or apparently any other state of the union, this man would have gotten his heart transplant. But the Arizona political leadership has years of insane policies that has led to the decision of cutting funding for heart transplants.

If we are to "work together for the common good" then we have to stop the stuff going on in Arizona politics, and stop it all around the country.
deanhills
coolclay wrote:
Maybe I should use this to push my mandatory organ donor agenda?
Good idea! Laughing I like to watch those old ER episodes now and then and am completely bowled over with the drama behind someone dying and a doctor hanging around the soon to be widow or widower with a form to sign so that they can "harvest" the brain dead living body. Can you imagine someone close to you having been in an accident and you just newly informed and not quite believing it, and getting at the hospital bed this person is breathing through a ventilator and still alive, and now you have to make a decision to let this guy die. And the doctor is under pressure as well, as he does not want to loose those organs as he has already checked the organ bank for a list of those next in line for organs. Has to be a toughie. I wouldn't want to be that doctor nor the next of kin.

Handfleisch wrote:
If we are to "work together for the common good" then we have to stop the stuff going on in Arizona politics, and stop it all around the country.
Well I guess this is the challenge, not all people see the "common good" the same way. So they probably need to figure out a common ground where they do agree, so that they can have something to work with in order to compromise on the differences. Otherwise they won't be able to work together at all.