FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Captcha image

baabaa
I do realise that the image is to restrict access to humans but some of us have been humans for a lot longer than the rest.
After several tries to decipher the letters I had to increase my screen view to 200% and even then I was unsure.
Can you get larger & clearer imaging - particularly for us oldies.
This probably counts as a rant but my family would say " Oh, that's normal"
ocalhoun
Does the Frihost version include an audio option?
(Been way too long, yes.)
If it did, that should pretty much solve the problem.
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Does the Frihost version include an audio option?
(Been way too long, yes.)
If it did, that should pretty much solve the problem.
I was unaware of the captcha image? Is this for when people register the first time round? Has it been around for a long time, as I can't remember ever seeing one at Frihost before.

I've always wondered what the real use of captcha images is, as I have the same thing about it as baabaa has. More often than not I can't make head or tail out of what the letters are especially when they are in a script style that blurs into one another. Sort of frustrating when that happens. Why do they make it so difficult to decipher the letters?
adri
deanhills wrote:
Why do they make it so difficult to decipher the letters?

Otherwise bots would be able to read it which causes again spamming but the recaptcha thing is quite bulletproof... erm... spamproof.

I just refresh the image until I get an easy one. Smile The sound captcha isn't too difficult either.

adri
baabaa
I dont remember seeing a picture. As for the option you sometimes have of listening that is ridiculous. The sound is overlaid with other sounds and I can't understand what is being said.
Ghost Rider103
Yes, there is an image to try and prevent bots registering. There is no audio option for it though, at least I don't think there is. I don't believe there is a refresh button either.

I know even I've had problems with not being able to read, or even listen to those things. Most of the audio versions are easy to listen to, but I've come across one that I couldn't hear any letters/numbers that were being said.

This is the first time anyone has complained about the image (that I know of).

I'm not too sure how difficult it would be to implement a new system for it. I guess we'd have to wait and see what Bondings presents. Though I don't think we'll be doing much unless more people bring the issue to attention.

There is a guest forum, so if people have troubles they can go there.
deanhills
adri wrote:
I just refresh the image until I get an easy one. Smile The sound captcha isn't too difficult either.

adri
I do exactly the same. Keep on refreshing it until I can make it out. Usually when I am at this stage of registration I try and do it as fast as I possibly can so don't have time to bother with the sound captcha.
ocalhoun
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Yes, there is an image to try and prevent bots registering. There is no audio option for it though, at least I don't think there is. I don't believe there is a refresh button either.

Hm... perhaps its time to update Frihost's then?
The 'Re-Captcha' that Craigslist uses seems pretty good.
(Text is easy enough to read, has audio option, has refresh option, presumably works well against bots - or craigslist wouldn't use it.)
Is it free to use, or do they require some kind of licensing?
catscratches
Re-Captcha is by Google and is free to use. More info at http://www.google.com/recaptcha. I, too, think reCaptcha is a really good alternative.