FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which number/s do you like best and why?

deanhills
I like numbers with rounded shapes and holes in them. For example, I like 0, 2 has a graceful curve, almost like a swan, 3 is almost like an eight with two sides not closed up, 6 is great as it has a hole in it, eight has two holes, 9 is like six upside down. 9 is my favourite though, as it always seems to lead to the next better number with a zero in it Sort of the number that leads to an open door. I'm not too partial to 1 as there does not seem too much imagination in it, it's much too straight. Nor 7, although if one closed the one side of 7 it could become a semi-triangular. 5 does have a graceful curve to it of sorts, but I much prefer when it is doubled up i.e. 55. 4 more or less has a hole in it, and two 4's make for 8, so that part counts in its favour. Of all the numbers in order of the number I like best they are 9, 8, 6, 3, 2, 5, 4, 7, 1. But as soon as the numbers become doubles, that changes quite a bit for me, I may even like 11. Triples are even better.

Do you have favourite numbers and what are they? Smile
standready
My hero is zero! Although seven, twelve and twenty-three seem to work also.
ocalhoun
Ha, and I thought I was odd for having favorite numbers.

My personal favorites are 0, 2, and 4.

They're all easy to use in math, for one thing, and I suppose I enjoy the symmetry (of various kinds) inherent in 2 and 4. While I rather enjoy the exceptionalism of 0... It often is the exception to various rules, often a special case (like me!), and often is able to simplify a math problem in a flash. The only one I particularly enjoy the aesthetic qualities of is 4, however. Deanhills might be a fan of round, but I prefer straight lines and angles, so I like both versions of the number 4.

Also, does anybody associate numbers with colors?
I always seem to think of various numbers having a color association... which is actually very useful sometimes for memorizing or color coding.
1- white
2- yellow
3- green
4- blue
5- brown
6- grey
7- orange
8- purple
9- red
0- black
Some of them make sense based on the meaning of the number, like 1 and 0. Others might be their color for being close to the next color/number... (such as 3/green, because of being between 2/yellow and 4/blue), but not always. They all seem to have a strong individual affiliation to me, regardless of what the other colors/numbers are.
2, 7, and 4 are particularly strong... I can hardly think about those three numbers without the associated colors coming to mind.
I don't know how this happened; I never consciously tried to associate these... Perhaps as a child when I was learning my numbers I ended up staring at a colored number set or something.

(Don't worry, I'm okay with being weird.)
mukesh
I like 0 and 1 digit. Because its a binary digit and my all calculation on 0 and 1. So my favorite digit is 0 and 1.
_AVG_
I'm very fond of the numbers 2 and 9.

2 - is the number that space is divided into, each dimension is divided into 2 directions; it is also the number of symmetry; hence, I find it very elegant.

9 - is a perfect square and has many fascinating yet unusual properties associated with elementary operations with it - for example, adding any number to 9 keeps the iterated sum of the digits the same.

I aesthetically also am fascinated by palindrome numbers, particularly 11. I guess, again it's because I find symmetry and special properties elegant.
Bikerman
I could have sworn that I posted a link to some audio files? I must be loosing my grip.

Anyhoo...for number fans, I heartily recommend the following brief (15 minute) radio-broadcasts - each considering a different number. These were broadcast on Radio 4* some time ago.

Number 0
Number 1
Number 2
Number 4
Number 6
Number 7

* Radio 4 is a national treasure and carries lots of beautiful little gems like these.

EDIT - PS for a bit of fun you can use the BBC website to see 'which number are you?'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/5numbers6.shtml
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
Ha, and I thought I was odd for having favorite numbers.
Phew! I'm relieved there are others who are a little into it too Smile
ocalhoun wrote:
I have not done that before, so before I looked at your numbers thought to test one and wondered what number I would associate with Green, your Website colour. And I came up with 3. The other two colours below were automatic and spontaneous ones:
0 white
2 yellow
3 green

My mind then went blank with all of the other numbers, and I was fascinated by this as blue is my favourite colour so should have matched my favourite number, but it did not. Then after a little while the colours came, but not what I expected. Brown is anything but my favourite colour, but 9 seemed to match brown for me. Red for 5. Now it is coming .... Blue for 8 ..... Limegreen for 7 .... Black for 6. Golden brown for 4. 1 no colour, maybe grey.

If I order the numbers now by my favourite colours then it would look more like this:
8 = blue
0 = white
3 = green
4 = golden brown
2 = yellow
7 = limegreen
5 = red
9 = brown
6 = black
1 = grey
Bikerman
ocalhoun wrote:
I always seem to think of various numbers having a color association... which is actually very useful sometimes for memorizing or color coding.
There are some people who actually see colours when they see particular numbers - this is called synaesthesia - the senses are cross-wired so synaesthetes often taste or see 'sounds'.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
ocalhoun wrote:
There are some people who actually see colours when they see particular numbers - this is called synaesthesia - the senses are cross-wired so synaesthetes often taste or see 'sounds'.

I may have a slight case of that, I suppose. Particularly with 2, 4, and 7.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised... my brain is cross-wired all over the place.
(Occasionally even on purpose.)
The-Nisk
I find it rather curious that people are partial to numbers mostly due to the number's aesthetics and shape rather than the various intertextuality the number can imply.

My favourite number is 7, no idea why.
ucintegrations
The-Nisk wrote:
I find it rather curious that people are partial to numbers mostly due to the number's aesthetics and shape rather than the various intertextuality the number can imply.

My favourite number is 7, no idea why.

Maybe because of it's the most known lucky number..... lucky number 7
LittleBlackKitten
For whatever reason, I'm always drawn to 2, 5, 7, and 13. Those are just random.

However, with food, or picking up packages, or cooking, I can't do odd numbers. If I have to, I employ even numbers. For example. I have to have 2 sandwiches cut in 2, or it feels wrong to eat it. If I HAVE to have ONE sandwich or ONE burrito for whatever reason, I try 2 ingredients or sets of 2, like 2 pieces of meat and 2 pieces of cheese, then it feels better than one sandwich with one of each (which is okay if I have 2 sandwiches). I have trouble cooking just ONE cup of rice, or odd numbers of perogies to eat, I can't cook odd numbers of bacon or eggs, it just feels so wrong to eat it if its an odd number.

I dunno why. Is just like that, lol.
watersoul
Bikerman wrote:
I could have sworn that I posted a link to some audio files? I must be loosing my grip.

Anyhoo...for number fans, I heartily recommend the following brief (15 minute) radio-broadcasts - each considering a different number. These were broadcast on Radio 4* some time ago.

Number 0
Number 1
Number 2
Number 4
Number 6
Number 7

* Radio 4 is a national treasure and carries lots of beautiful little gems like these.

EDIT - PS for a bit of fun you can use the BBC website to see 'which number are you?'
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/5numbers6.shtml

Cheers for the links, pretty informative about my own irrationally favourite number - 6

...agree about Radio 4 being 'a national treasure', some of it I do find a little boring sometimes, but then there's the odd gem like the above! Smile
spinout
this is actually interesting from the aspect of how the mind works...

If you answer the question "think of a number and a color?" then most people go for maybe 7 and green,,,

well my favorites was just green and seven in any case.

Am I tooo ordinary then???

today my color is red and the number is well still 7... I changed the color green. have you changed your color?

right now is the color 11 and gray that comes to mind. That is probably a stimuli from my workday. gray as all my papers around and 11 hm... yes it comes from 2011 - I just took care of documents numbered after the year like DOK11...

Ah.. we are so easy to control
deanhills
spinout wrote:
right now is the color 11 and gray that comes to mind. That is probably a stimuli from my workday. gray as all my papers around and 11 hm... yes it comes from 2011 - I just took care of documents numbered after the year like DOK11...
You're right, the mind is quite subtle in a way. Today's colour that I don't really like can easily be a great one tomorrow. Also depends what it is. As well as the colours that it is being contrasted with. Green is a mixture of blue and yellow, so I would imagine someone liking green also liking yellow and blue simultaneously.
ankur209
I love 0 and 1 coz being a computer student my whole academic session keeps revolving around these binary digits and am very good in this.
I love personally 0 and 1 coz it together forms up 10 which is my birth date...

cool... Wink
sudipbanerjee
I like 2 and 4 most. Both these numbers are lucky for me. My birthdate is 24 which also combination of these two numbers.
xevo
44 and 444 - Chinese consider number 4 to be unlucky but still like it (god knows why).
And 9 - my birthday number...
ankur2010
6 and 9.
Together they makes up a good number that is 69 and 96 ...!! if u turn 6 clockwise it'll be 9 and further more will make it back to 6..loll... Laughing
mgeek
I like 9,5,12. Nine is something I associate with the color "brown", 5 for "blue" and 12, for "green". These are the numbers I also wore at one point or another in my life, for basketball.
iman
Seven. Doesn't 7 look really sleek and shiny?
deanhills
iman wrote:
Seven. Doesn't 7 look really sleek and shiny?
It lacks curves ....
greko45
my favorites number are 3 and 7

always been lucky using those both numbers
ankitdatashn
All my life I had liked only the even numbers 2, 4, 6, 8. Although my favorite number is an exception i.e. 5. Odd numbers have something that I don't like about them, even I don't know what it is that I dont like... Smile
ocalhoun
ankitdatashn wrote:
Odd numbers have something that I don't like about them, even I don't know what it is that I dont like... Smile

Lack of symmetry?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
ankitdatashn wrote:
Odd numbers have something that I don't like about them, even I don't know what it is that I dont like... Smile

Lack of symmetry?
Well put! Now why can't I think of this myself as it is exactly how it is for me too? The even numbers are also easier for me to calculate mentally. They rhyme better. Funnily enough, I do like odd numbers too on occasion. Sort of varies.
standready
ocalhoun wrote:
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised... my brain is cross-wired all over the place.
(Occasionally even on purpose.)

I know my brain is crossed wired. Explains why I am left handed! laugh

@bikerman: thanks for Radio 4 links! very cool
dapopeyoh
My favourite number is 3. It has always been a good number for me. Anytime I pick or I'm given number 3, I always get lucky.
Helios
When I was a kid I had this DOS application with lots of pre-recorded "astrological" mambo-jambo. So I read about my sign, whatever that means, and it was written that my "lucky" numbers are 2, 4, 6... and so on. Today I don't believe there is such thing as a lucky number or stuff like that.

Still, my favorite number would be 42 Smile
(you may guess where that comes from)
chatrack
Hi,
I like 3. It mostly happen with me... i like all numbers ending with 3