FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The directory

truespeed
6 of the top 11 websites no longer exist,and going through the categories,most links don't work any more either,so i think either the directory needs to be removed completely,or it needs a revamp or recoding so that users can edit/add/remove their own entries.
Ghost Rider103
Well a lot of the top websites in the directory no longer work.

However adding your own website to the directory is actually possibly by going to your account page and you can bid frih$ to get into the top directory.

I do believe the directory actually works as far as getting hits. I've gotten close to 400 hits from Frihost from the directory alone. Not really that great considering I've been in the directory for quite a while. But it's something. Plus I don't add myself to the top websites every month like I probably should.

But yes, some of the websites need to be removed from the directory, it hasn't been taken care of very much.
deanhills
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
But yes, some of the websites need to be removed from the directory, it hasn't been taken care of very much.
Do the Websites get automatically removed when the points go significantly below zero? And are the links usually updated/refreshed in the Directory when that happens?

I'm curious, how do these get rated on a 1 to 11 scale? Is it on the basis of hits or votes?
Bikerman
I pushed ARISE to the top by chucking $100 Frih at it Smile
Ghost Rider103
deanhills wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:
Do the Websites get automatically removed when the points go significantly below zero? And are the links usually updated/refreshed in the Directory when that happens?

I'm curious, how do these get rated on a 1 to 11 scale? Is it on the basis of hits or votes?

If nobody bids, there are default websites that will be listed as the top websites. I believe Bondings selected those a few years ago when the directory was first opened.

Ae for getting your ownn website on the top sites, like i said just go bid. The bids are reset to 0 every month. So if you want to stay in the top websites, you have to go and bid every month.
sonam
Quote:
If nobody bids, there are default websites that will be listed as the top websites. I believe Bondings selected those a few years ago when the directory was first opened.

In that case he need to list new default sites.

Quote:
I pushed ARISE to the top by chucking $100 Frih

This is good for old members but new members haven't Frih$. Did Bondings need to change biddings in coins instead of Frih$? Rolling Eyes

Sonam
Ghost Rider103
I agree, new default websites need to be added.

Adding coins to add yourself to the directory are in the works believe. The plan was that anything you can buy with frihs, will be available with coins as well. At least that is what I understand for the future plans.
Bikerman
I've got masses of Frih$ which I never use, so I'm happy to chuck some at websites if they are any good, whilst Bondings sorts out the details. What about having a vote by members on the best blogs/sites and the top ten each month get automatically stuck at the top? I can force them to the top by throwing dollars at them until we get a better system in place.
adri
Bikerman wrote:

I can only bid 10,20 or 50 frih$. Confused

Looks like Bondings has a lot of things to do if it depends on the members. (New website, new forumlay-out/colors, new directory, choosing new moderators,...)

adri
ocalhoun
adri wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

Looks like Bondings has a lot of things to do if it depends on the members. (New website, new forumlay-out/colors, new directory, choosing new moderators,...)

>>Sidetrack warning<<
In light of the fact that users can no longer earn frih$, it would probably be a good idea to allow users to bid on directory listings with coins.
(Or at least put in a small note that it may be possible to exchange coins for frih$ in the marketplace.)
Bikerman
adri wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

Me too.....so you can do 2 fifties, 4 twenties or 10 tens if you are feeling masochistic Smile
deanhills
Bikerman wrote:
OK. Got it now. I've got plenty of Frih$ and may check out the Websites. If I find a worthy one, get them up. For example, I really like Truespeed's Website, as well as Matthias's Website as well as Animal's E-Ignite Website. Maybe Frihost should be No. 1? Twisted Evil

I was just wondering whether it could be a good idea to have a competition for the best Website, so as to make people more aware of the good ones that are around as well as reward those with very good Websites? Also to make people more aware of the Directory and how it works?
truespeed
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:
OK. Got it now. I've got plenty of Frih$ and may check out the Websites. If I find a worthy one, get them up. For example, I really like Truespeed's Website, as well as Matthias's Website as well as Animal's E-Ignite Website. Maybe Frihost should be No. 1? Twisted Evil

I was just wondering whether it could be a good idea to have a competition for the best Website, so as to make people more aware of the good ones that are around as well as reward those with very good Websites? Also to make people more aware of the Directory and how it works?

Mine isn't hosted on frihost so isn't allowed in the directory.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Bikerman wrote:

Mine isn't hosted on frihost so isn't allowed in the directory.
Wow! I was unaware of that. Smile Anyway, it is a good Website, should visit it again one of these days. I seem to be spending most of my spare time with Frihost, especially when the coins upped the ante with the average posts being in the seventies and eighties points, whereas before it were fifties and sixties. Getting to be exhausting at times. Smile
truespeed
Maybe allowing non frihost hosted websites into the directory would help boost it a little as i am sure there are many on here with websites not hosted on frihost,

Edit: none of those two websites (Including mine) are frihost hosted,nor is arise,so did i really read this rule somewhere or have i just imagined it?
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Maybe allowing non frihost hosted websites into the directory would help boost it a little as i am sure there are many on here with websites not hosted on frihost,

Edit: none of those two websites (Including mine) are frihost hosted,nor is arise,so did i really read this rule somewhere or have i just imagined it?
I hope you have imagined it, as it would be great to have your Website in the Directory.
Bikerman
ARISE IS hosted here. The arise domain name is just parked here as well.
(It is my site, so I should know Smile )
ocalhoun
Confused
Makes me wonder if mine should be there.
It's partially hosted on Frihost, and partially hosted on a paid host.
Bikerman
That's one for Steve but I would say yes - if you are using hosting here then it should qualify, even it it uses other resources outside this site.
Asap170
I don't think that the directory is used really. I almost think it's a waste of space and time.
Ghost Rider103
Where does it say that the directory is only for websites hosted on Frihost?

My website was originally hosted on Frihost when I added it to the directory, however it is now hosted through a different company.

I thought maybe there was a page that gave me rules when adding the website to the directory, however I can't even find the link to add a website to the directory anymore. Question
truespeed
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

:

I did go in search of it and found it.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/request_directory_listing.php

Quote:
The description needs to be in English and the website in question needs to be hosted by us (no exceptions).
Ghost Rider103
When I try to view that page it tells me I have enough directory listing requests. No wonder I couldn't find the link to request another one.

I currently have three active. Two of which I would like to have removed as they no longer exist.
deanhills
truespeed wrote:
Ghost Rider103 wrote:

:

I did go in search of it and found it.

http://www.frihost.com/forums/request_directory_listing.php

Quote:
The description needs to be in English and the website in question needs to be hosted by us (no exceptions).
Is there any way that this rule could be changed as the rule must be quite old? Would perhaps be a good idea to start a thread to find out whether there are others who would like to list their Websites in the Directory. On the basis of an active membership with Frihost? Maybe they can pay a fee in coins for allowing them to bid for a place in the directory? And maybe they can be listed separately.
truespeed
My view is the directory and link should be removed,a directory full of dead links looks to the new user,untidy and unprofessional.

I do like the idea of submitting for website promotion though,how about instead of the directory,having the ability to submit your website for a set time period using coins to have it listed on frihosts main index page (The right hand navigation).

You could have a frihost hosted submitted list to showcase frihost sites, (All these will be up to date and online as they will have been recently submitted by users to appear on the list for a set time period).

You can also have a frihosts users list,sites that are submitted by users of frihost that don't use the firhost hosting.
sonam
truespeed wrote:
My view is the directory and link should be removed,a directory full of dead links looks to the new user,untidy and unprofessional.

I do like the idea of submitting for website promotion though,how about instead of the directory,having the ability to submit your website for a set time period using coins to have it listed on frihosts main index page (The right hand navigation).

You could have a frihost hosted submitted list to showcase frihost sites, (All these will be up to date and online as they will have been recently submitted by users to appear on the list for a set time period).

You can also have a frihosts users list,sites that are submitted by users of frihost that don't use the firhost hosting.

This idea with time period (for example: 1mont=5coins) and auto clear all of links what is not payed for next month is better then directory full of dead links. For default sites I suggest sites what is more then one/two years hosted on frihost.
Separate listing for sites not hosted on frihost is also good idea but for higher price. Auto clear, too. For default sites (not hosted on frihost) I am agree with deanhills suggest: Truespeed's Website, Matthias's Website, Animal's Website and of course my site. Wink

Sonam
deanhills
@Truespeed and Sonam. Excellent suggestion. Almost like Google style paid for ad links, but done by Frihost and Frihosters have the opportunity to pay for ad links with coins/Frih$.