FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

strange people in Sweden

badai
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7479758.stm

Quote:
Birthday party snub sparks debate

An eight-year-old boy has sparked an unlikely outcry in Sweden after failing to invite two of his classmates to his birthday party.

The boy's school says he has violated the children's rights and has complained to the Swedish Parliament.

The school, in Lund, southern Sweden, argues that if invitations are handed out on school premises then it must ensure there is no discrimination.

The boy's father has lodged a complaint with the parliamentary ombudsman.

He says the two children were left out because one did not invite his son to his own party and he had fallen out with the other one.

The boy handed out his birthday invitations during class-time and when the teacher spotted that two children had not received one the invitations were confiscated.

"My son has taken it pretty hard," the boy's father told the newspaper Sydsvenskan.

"No one has the right to confiscate someone's property in this way, it's like taking someone's post," he added.

A verdict on the matter is likely to be reached in September, in time for the next school year.
deanhills
WOW! I wonder who made the initial complaints? The two who had not been invited? How petty! Who wants to force themselves to be invited to any party, or perhaps it is just bickering between students and by extension their parents?

Arguing about rights, I think any student should have the right to invite whomever they wish to invite. This sounds a bit over the top and rediculous to me.
adri
deanhills wrote:
Arguing about rights, I think any student should have the right to invite whomever they wish to invite. This sounds a bit over the top and rediculous to me.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's not because I'm not invited to Paris Hiltons ( Drool )party, that I'm going to sue her for not inviting me... Ok it's sad for those two kids that weren't invited to the birthday party, but you can't expect that you get invited if you always have arguments with the kid who organized the party...

adri
catscratches
8-year olds bickering about stupid things and their parents taking their children's sides? Doesn't sound very unusual.
watersoul
Absolutely ridiculous, school is that microcosm of society where young people learn about the harsh realities of life that not everyone likes you.
Yes, a school should tackle discrimination and bullying etc, but where do the two children who weren't invited ever learn to deal with disappointment and rejection? And I beg the question, who is going to be there wrapping them up in cotton wool when they leave the safety of school and reach adulthood?

If I take this story on the face value as presented above, I think it's pathetic and a bit shameful to be honest.
deanhills
watersoul wrote:
who is going to be there wrapping them up in cotton wool when they leave the safety of school and reach adulthood?
They are probably going to be your future whiners and complainers writing long letters to the local authorities. Perhaps they have learned that is the way to cope with that which they are unhappy with. They probably are never going to be able to have fun, always stay envious of those who do, and wanting to get their revenge on those who are having fun, as they did with not having been invited to the school party.
watersoul
deanhills wrote:
watersoul wrote:
who is going to be there wrapping them up in cotton wool when they leave the safety of school and reach adulthood?
They are probably going to be your future whiners and complainers writing long letters to the local authorities. Perhaps they have learned that is the way to cope with that which they are unhappy with. They probably are never going to be able to have fun, always stay envious of those who do, and wanting to get their revenge on those who are having fun, as they did with not having been invited to the school party.

Lol, well said! Laughing
jmraker
I like the part of how they have to ensure that there's no discrimination like they can police that in children.

Instead of teaching the children, are the teachers monitoring every student's social interactions and making sure each and every student spends the exact same amount of time together and treats their classmates all the same and punish them for having a best friend because that discriminates against the other students

And they're punishing just one student? The school is treating him differently than the others which is unfair to him, they shouldn't discriminate themselves.
ocalhoun
jmraker wrote:
I like the part of how they have to ensure that there's no discrimination like they can police that in children.

That's the problem. Discrimination has become such a taboo that even correct, normal forms of it are eliminated.

Everyone may be born equal, but they don't always stay equal.
Some actually are better than others...

Not only does non-discrimination force you to ignore faults -- it also forces you to ignore values. Any value someone or something could be judged by could lead to discrimination, so we must have no values as a society. Without values, there is no 'right' or 'wrong', only 'different'.

On a less theoretical note, the kid should never be forced to invite kids he doesn't like to his party.
deanhills
I like the idea of non-discrimination, but when it goes overboard, such as in this case, it can completely zap people from being honest and sincere. Canada for example is one of the countries that regard discrimination as a crime. If you contact an employment agency you can't ask for a female secretary of a certain age. You can only give a job description. So candidates may arrive at your door and you immediately know they are not suitable as your company may be an engineering consultancy that is more used to working with female secretaries. So instead of telling the agency that you prefer a female secretary, you would have to look for another legitimate excuse why she may not be suitable. So in the end people just get less honest and craftier and perhaps even to the detriment of the candidate. Hopefully though the employment agencies must be aware of that anyway. The differences will always be there.

Having said that, Canada is a really great place for people (like myself) who like an environment where there is no discrimination. I don't like the pendulum to swing too far to the opposite, such as in Sweden, but especially in the larger cosmopolitan cities, everyone has a more or less equal chance, give or take a little. Never perfectly of course as human beings are not perfect and every one is different from the other, and can do certain things better than the other one. Smile
missdixy
Wow, this is pretty strange. This is DEFINITELY going overboard! I also agree that hey, if it's your party you can invite or not invite whoever the hell you want. This article is from 2008, so I'm sure a verdict was eventually reached. Anyone know what that was?
spinout
2008 - that explains why i havn't heard of it. These guys lives in the south of Sweden - just typical Laughing
deanhills
spinout wrote:
2008 - that explains why i havn't heard of it. These guys lives in the south of Sweden - just typical Laughing
Hilarious .... I really wonder in which country or city for that matter there is not a North and South? I have experienced this in North Johannesburg versus South Johannesburg. Heard about it with regard to North and South Europe, North and South Germany, North and South Holland, North and South England, North and South in New Zealand ..... Smile

Spinout, what are the differences in general between North and South in Sweden? In Johannesburg, South Africa for example your mink and manure wealthy people with heavy fortresses live towards the North of Johannesburg, and your less than wealthy people in the South. I was told that the people in the North of Germany are a bit more perfectionist and tense, and the people in the South of Germany a bit more easy going with a sense of humour. So what are the differences between the people in the North and South in Sweden and what do you think the cause of those differences would be?
Navigator
Is this piece for real? Sounds something the onion would publish.
spinout
sorry for the late reply -

I should deivide the country in 3 sections;

North: slow motion people - talks as few words as possible.

Mid (stockholm region): fast people - talks too much!

South: patriarktic people, wants to separate from the rest of the country - maybe haeding for denmark? Talks strange, as if you have alot of food in your mouth at the same time - actually!!!
TurtleShell
The parents of the kid who decided to invite all but two of his classmates to his birthday party shouldn't have let the kid hand out the invitations in class in front of the two who weren't invited. Just as the two who weren't invited should learn to live with rejection, the kid who is doing the inviting should learn a sense of decorum and polite behavior. I would never show up at a meeting at my work and in front of everyone invite all but two people from my team to a party at my own house. That's just good sense.

This sounds like a case of tacky parenting. But the school shouldn't become involved. I don't think this could qualify as discrimination, which would require the two children to be left out for reasons based on race, religion or some other group or classification they belong to.
catscratches
spinout wrote:
South: patriarktic people, wants to separate from the rest of the country - maybe haeding for denmark? Talks strange, as if you have alot of food in your mouth at the same time - actually!!!
Not really, no. There's a party that wants to seperate Skåne from the rest of Sweden, yes, but they're not very popular at all. (They get far more hate than support.) In the latest election in 2010, they got 2.9% in Skåne (which, although very little, is still more than I expected).

What seperates southern Sweden from the more northern parts is mostly that it has a lot of good soil and plain landscapes that suit very well for agriculture. As such, it is subject to many of the stereotypes on farmers, essientially poorer education (though that stereotype probably fits the most northern parts as well). (As well as other things normally associated with poorer education, eg. a higher rate of racism (which is evident from better election results for Sverigedemokraterna than other parts of Sweden)).

This particular story is, however, not at all typical for southern Sweden. It is set in Lund, which is very atypical for Skåne. It is an "academic's city", inhibited primarily by academics and students. As such, the level of education is very high, the racism appears to be smaller as eg. Sverigedemokraterna don't seem to be doing very well at all there (probably a result of the many exchange students who come to Lund to study, which means many people get to know foreigners first-hand and learn that they're really not that bad at all, as well as the obvious higher education). It is a place for education and science. There are, for example, plans on placing the ESS, a planned particle accelrator, in Lund (or well, in the outskirts of it, you don't just build a particle accelerator in the middle of a city).
spinout
Everyone I have come across - almost... from south of Sweden are very local patriots. My associate did a tattoo with the landscapes warbird-logo and of course; SKANE printed under it, on his left shoulder. He's 50... hehe, probably die with that mindset!

Ok, all sort of people live there - so the only common thing is the strange strange dialect.
ProwerBot
You're 8 years old... the time in your life where you're not supposed to care about being an adult.
deanhills
ProwerBot wrote:
You're 8 years old... the time in your life where you're not supposed to care about being an adult.
Quite funny, all of us when we were kids were wanting to be adults, and play acting adults, and then when we are adults, are wishing we could be kids again. Very Happy
ankitdatashn
Umm, that is quite an unsual news, Wonder how can things shape up with so much variety of people around us Very Happy