FRIHOST • FORUMS • SEARCH • FAQ • TOS • BLOGS • COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


Rearranging and renaming the science forums.





ocalhoun
This has been bothering me for a while now...
Life should be before The Universe.
General Science should be renamed 'And Everything', and placed right after The Universe.

That way, the forum names will read: Life The Universe And Everything

Far superior. ^.^

(If you don't get it, then go read some Douglass Adams books.)
deanhills
I don't agree Ocalhoun. I like the way Bikerman has organized it, in fact it can't be more perfect than it already is. We need a separate Sub-Forum for threads on environmental, demographic and global warming topics, and we do have it with the Sub-Forum Earth. We need a Sub-Forum on biology, which we have under Life. We need a sub-forum on education. The Sub-Forum General Science is perfectly named as it is. General Everything sounds almost like a File 13 Sub-Forum.

If any reorganizing has to be done with Forums and Sub-Forums the greatest need is with the IT Forums and Sub-Forums.
Bluedoll
The science topics do look in proper order? Bikerman has superior thesis on science and everyone should trust his judgement in this area.

Why challenge it ocalhoun?

Do you not think using little green pieces of paper do not bring honour to the Galactic Hyperspace Planning Council? I am puzzled as to why this assertion has a bearing on the current structure in the first place? They should pass a sticky guideline that says, “for those concerned, use the paper also to wipe your ___.
Passing that and moving right along, what we need here is a demolition, man, then let the highway building begin.”
a1webshopping
I like it the way it is as well. To each there own I guess. Smile
saratdear
I've got a hunch ocalhoun meant it as a joke but I can't think why he would go and actually post it in the Suggestions forum. Smile

If you meant it seriously, well...I never really liked splitting them in the first place, but now I like the arrangement.
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
This has been bothering me for a while now...
Life should be before The Universe.
General Science should be renamed 'And Everything', and placed right after The Universe.

That way, the forum names will read: Life The Universe And Everything

Far superior. ^.^

(If you don't get it, then go read some Douglass Adams books.)


Very Happy

Assuming this is satire, good fun.

Assuming there's some earnestness to it, I dislike combining more of the forums to reach three... though perhaps with more amalgamated set up, perhaps people would post in the wrong forum a little less (really people, just read the forum descriptions before posting!!).
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
I don't agree Ocalhoun. I like the way Bikerman has organized it, in fact it can't be more perfect than it already is. We need a separate Sub-Forum for threads on environmental, demographic and global warming topics, and we do have it with the Sub-Forum Earth. We need a Sub-Forum on biology, which we have under Life. We need a sub-forum on education. The Sub-Forum General Science is perfectly named as it is. General Everything sounds almost like a File 13 Sub-Forum.

If any reorganizing has to be done with Forums and Sub-Forums the greatest need is with the IT Forums and Sub-Forums.

You're taking this way too seriously. ^.^

For an extra hint, you might do some research on the number 42.
Bikerman
Here's something for you to think about ocalhoun. We have 10 digits 0 - 9, yes?

OK, so in the WSOGMM (Whole Sort Of General Mish Mash) of number usage (anything from house numbers to golf scores to unemployment figures to the price of a ham sandwich) how do you think the use of those digits is distributed?

Do we use each digit about the same number of times, over the whole piece? Or do we use one particular digit much much more than any other?
(I'm currently digitising a series of 15 minute radio programs on numbers to go with the thread on 'favourite numbers' as a little treat and I'd actually forgotten all about this little nugget of information....I'll let you ponder it.
ocalhoun
Bikerman wrote:
Here's something for you to think about ocalhoun. We have 10 digits 0 - 9, yes?

[...]

how do you think the use of those digits is distributed?

[...]

....I'll let you ponder it.

That is interesting.
Off to Google!
(Google always has the answers.)

0- 10,730,000,000 Results
1- 17,740,000,000 Results
2- 14,670,000,000 Results
3- 12,750,000,000 Results
4- 11,410,000,000 Results
5- 11,870,000,000 Results
6- 10,990,000,000 Results
7- 10,400,000,000 Results
8- 9,930,000,000 Results
9- 9,000,000,000 Results


Looks like the lower numbers are more commonly used (makes sense), though there's a slight exception for 5... presumably because it's a nice round number to estimate things at.
0 (of course) is a special case.
It's almost frightening though, how closely it matches what you'd expect. I'd think that there would be some kind of anomaly, but with the -- easily explained -- exception of 5, the usage drops from smallest number to largest number nicely.
Bikerman
Now, go and check the little audio file I stuck in the chat forum in the favourite numbers thread. Pick the number 1 and prepare to be surprised as you learn about Benford's law. Smile
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
You're taking this way too seriously. ^.^

For an extra hint, you might do some research on the number 42.
I thought this was a Forum for serious suggestions? I've never had to look for hints in this Forum before? You set us up? I probably should have known, but it is still surprising though .... Twisted Evil
Related topics
science forum
The Middle East Conflict
Groeten uit Nederland (Greetings from Holland)
WILL universe ever end?
Why do people start topics and/or post replies here?
How should i move forward to learn string theory mathematica
Randomness is an illusion. [philosophy/science]
The Tech Tree! Post any interesting media about future tech!
Everyone Just Posts For Points
Hair Splitting!?
Proof that NASA lied
Some name refining in the science forums
Renaming the science forums. (Serious this time)
2 (anti science) Arguments I've come across...
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> General -> Suggestions

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.