FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Arkansas mystery dead birds & fish

standready
Rather interesting, only involving one type of bird and one type of fish. Mayan 2012 prophecy bloggers are having a field day

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110103/ts_yblog_thelookout/massive-bird-fish-kills-in-arkansas-leave-many-scratching-heads

Even made it into papers in the UK
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/03/arkansas-mystery-dead-birds-fish

I am waiting for the test result on both.
ocalhoun
It's called disease.
Birds and fish are subject to them as well sometimes... and it explains handily why only certain species were affected.
standready
Seems Arkansas is not the only place affected. Reports coming in from Louisiana and Sweden as well.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=136807&catid=2

Speculation is on fireworks being the cause for the birds. I think the fish are maybe a natural "end of life" die off. Still be interesting to hear test results.
watersoul
It is an interesting story, but I wonder if our ability to access information so quickly now allows some to speculate a little too wildly?

Regarding the people who believe in a conspiracy or 2012 etc, I've read some pretty far fetched theories on the net, and someone has even taken the time to produce a Google map detailing the reported deaths they have found so far.
I won't say I have an opinion either way yet though, as the numbers of dead animals are really pretty low in the scale of the worlds population.

Again, I also wonder what past statistics of similar events would compare to the current figures?
[Edit]
2007 CBS News - Thousands Of Birds Drop Dead In Australia
2009 The Times - It's raining birds on Western Australia[/Edit]

To put it another way, whenever there is an incident of someone being savaged by a dog in the UK you can be sure that there will follow numerous 'news' reports of similar stories for the next few weeks, or until the media moves on to something else.

...if I do see birds falling everywhere from the skies, or regularly reported from many many places over a period of time, perhaps then I'll be more concerned.
ocalhoun
watersoul wrote:

Regarding the people who believe in a conspiracy or 2012 etc, I've read some pretty far fetched theories on the net, and someone has even taken the time to produce a Google map detailing the reported deaths they have found so far.

Looks like Africa, the Middle East, and Russia are pretty safe...
The 2012 theorists should move to those places. Twisted Evil
Lennon
what's next?

all the cane toads in oz just suddenly die for no apparent reason?

What if all the birds died in the earth.

what if those birds died because of local high CO2 emissions and low oxygen levels?
Bikerman
Seems pretty unlikely. CO2 levels don't significantly alter O2 levels (they are different orders of magnitude). Best guess (assuming 3 O2 molecules lost per CO2 molecule produced) is that we have lost about 0.095% of O2 since the beginning of the industrial revolution....
http://www.i-sis.org.uk/O2DroppingFasterThanCO2Rising.php
ocalhoun
Lennon wrote:

what if those birds died because of local high CO2 emissions and low oxygen levels?

^.^
I laughed out loud at that one.

The whole CO2 preoccupation is getting somewhat ridiculous.
Now, suppose they came into contact with some other pollutant, something more toxic, and it might make a little more sense.
-Heck, carbon monoxide would make more sense than carbon dioxide... and just as likely to be produced and emitted in large quantities.
(Though it still doesn't explain why only one species would die, and not all species in the area.)
Bikerman
Well actually it isn't that far out.
If CO2 levels triple (unlikely but not impossible) then that could theoretically take some areas near the 19.5% mark - which is officially classed as oxygen deficiency level...
It would need a lot of presently unknown (speculative) mechanisms to kick-in though, and I think it is somewhere between 9 and 10 on the bosmological probability index.

(9 = probability of finding persuasive evidence for the existence of God in the next 10 years
10 = probability of finding his phone number)