FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Hight voltage kill my adapters

sonam
Hight voltage kill adapters on both of my laptops. I am buy one adapter what is not original but it is universal. My original adapters have 18.5V and 2.7A and this universal I can put on 18V and I think 4.5A. Can this adapter kill my laptops.

Sonam
menino
The Universal adapter will work with 18V and 4.5A, as long as the amperes is not less than 2.7, it is ok.
Usually the components in the laptop regulate the power and protect it from over voltage, and usually its the second line of failsafe... the first one being the adapter itself, as these are cheaper (sometimes).
sonam
I am little bit worry about 2.7<4.5 Amperes and hope with this 1.8 A differences will work well.

Sonam
ocalhoun
sonam wrote:
My original adapters have 18.5V and 2.7A and this universal I can put on 18V and I think 4.5A. Can this adapter kill my laptops.

Well, the voltage is .5V lower... It may run fine on that voltage, or if it is sensitive, that may be too low. Either way it won't damage the laptop though -- the worst that will happen would be that the laptop doesn't run until you get the proper voltage to it. Only a higher voltage is dangerous. Lower voltages are safe, though they might not work.

The power adapter having a higher amperage rating is a good thing. It will only provide the amperage that the laptop wants, never more. When you see an amperage rating on a power adapter like that, read it as: "Up to 4.5A"
sonam
Thanks menino, thanks ocalhoun, this is good informations for me because I must start with work this week. Very Happy

Sonam
badai
if my phone charger is 1A, what will happen if i use 2A charger? will it charge faster? will it damage the phone/battery? or nothing will happen because it will output whatever current draw by my phone/battery?
sonam
badai wrote:
if my phone charger is 1A, what will happen if i use 2A charger? will it charge faster? will it damage the phone/battery? or nothing will happen because it will output whatever current draw by my phone/battery?

If I good understand answers if is voltage higher then you can loose battery/phone, but if is amperes higher then phone will use only 1A not 2. For example your charger is 15V and 1A and now you are use 15V and 2A that is OK, but if you use 16 and more V and 1A you can damage your phone/battery.

Did I good understand Rolling Eyes Question

Sonam
badai
sonam wrote:
badai wrote:

If I good understand answers if is voltage higher then you can loose battery/phone, but if is amperes higher then phone will use only 1A not 2. For example your charger is 15V and 1A and now you are use 15V and 2A that is OK, but if you use 16 and more V and 1A you can damage your phone/battery.

Did I good understand Rolling Eyes Question

Sonam

so currents are drawn, not push.

thank you. first thing in the morning i will go buy that charger. maybe i can use usb hub, so all ports can get 500mA each.
sonam
badai wrote:

thank you. first thing in the morning i will go buy that charger. maybe i can use usb hub, so all ports can get 500mA each.

Why not buy original charger. I am 5000km far away from my home and in this town is real miracle to find adapter at all. When I will go back I will buy original.

Sonam
hersandal
In order for you charger to work for a very long time, you should use some Voltage Regulator so that the power supply will not be intermittent, this should work as it will maintain the current of the voltage going to you charger or whatever electronic gadgets you may have. I used the voltage regulator for my computer, laptops, TV's, stereo components, so as you can see in my house I never have new appliances, most of all are vintage since they never get broke. Razz
badai
sonam wrote:
badai wrote:

Why not buy original charger. I am 5000km far away from my home and in this town is real miracle to find adapter at all. When I will go back I will buy original.

Sonam

i still have the original charger. my intention is to charge faster and/or use the charger with usb hub to charge up to 4 other devices.
sonam
Quote:
my intention is to charge faster and/or use the charger with usb hub to charge up to 4 other devices

I don't know about faster (maybe faster means danger, too) but this idea with hub is looking good. Rolling Eyes

Sonam
sobolok
I don't think so the high voltage can "burn" your laptop. The difference of voltage is too short and you have a good shore of current. If you want to charge faster, use a highter voltage with the battery out from laptop.

Is like car battery charge. Can be slow (better) or fast (don't recomended, but faster).