FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

The King's Speech

rogue_skydragon
Directed by Tom Hooper, starring Colin Firth and Helena Bonham Carter, The King's Speech tells the story of King George VI of Britain and his struggle with public speaking.

People have been saying that this is definitely a contender in the 2011 Academy Awards. And indeed, it looks really great from having viewed the trailer. Though I haven't seen it yet, and was curious to see what some of you folks on Firhost thought of the film? Good? Bad?
Radar
Everyone that I've heard talking about this film has said that it's been really good. What I find odd is that's all they've said. I'm not sure what to think of a movie where the overall effect is good, but no individual moments, plot points, or characters, have seemed rant-worthy.
watersoul
Radar wrote:
Everyone that I've heard talking about this film has said that it's been really good. What I find odd is that's all they've said. I'm not sure what to think of a movie where the overall effect is good, but no individual moments, plot points, or characters, have seemed rant-worthy.

Thats interesting to read Radar.
I haven't seen the film myself, but the subject matter didn't interest me I'm afraid - The story of overcoming speech impediment adversity by an unelected head of state in an otherwise privileged lifestyle Confused

I'm sure the acting, cinematography, music etc was outstanding in this film, but I'm also sure I would be much more drawn into the story if it was about a poor guy facing the same challenges, and in an environment where no-one is too scared to ridicule him in front of others?
TurtleShell
I'd like to see this movie. I don't keep up with movies these days, but I saw a preview for it and it looks interesting. I kept hearing people talking about how it was winning all these awards...have they had the Academy awards yet?
The_unnamed_label
Ive seen it. I think its a great movie.. I wasnt sure about it really as the topic isnt talking to me at all. but once you're sat in the cinema and start watching it, you totally get caught I think.

The main character gets your sympathy from the very first minutes of the movie and I think that you keep close to him for the whole movie.

Not only it taught me things I didnt know about England (Im french) but also I think the script itself is very good.
You smile and get emotions, you laugh and you share his worries.
I think both characters are pretty good.

I would recommand this movie without a doubt.

Good quality of filming too.
rogue_skydragon
Yes, "King's Speech" swept almost all of the major awards at the 2011 Oscars. Director Tom Hooper won the award for Best Directing, Colin Firth won the award for Best Actor in A Leading Role, and the film itself won the award for Best Picture.
mary79
I definately adored the movie.
All great performances... and yes, Colin Firth deserved the Oscar, but so did the rest of the cast. Outstanding performances!
metalfreek
I loved this Film. Totally unexpected. Initially I thought it will be about world war I but it turned out to be completely different. I really loved it. Highly recommend by me to watch. The King's Speech
JonathanCharles
Hey ,
I haven't seen it yet,tell me how's the movie.......
The_unnamed_label
JonathanCharles wrote:
Hey ,

pretty good!
JonathanCharles
The_unnamed_label wrote:
JonathanCharles wrote:
Hey ,

pretty good!

I mean to say how's the movie script.....how's the visual effect of this movie.........what the story line of this movie......is it worth to spend few hours on this movie or not......
barbera123
amazing movie....one can learn a lot from this movie...i am very inspired..... Very Happy
tomisme
It's such a good movie.
If it wasn't for this film I would never know this amazing story.
alli2000
pretty good, but boring as hell at the same time..