FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Which design course to take?

saratdear
Within 6-7 months, I will be ready to move to college. I have some interest in design, specifically 3d modelling , so I am thinking of taking a design course offered by the National Institute of Design.

While doing 3d work, what I notice is I do more modelling of inanimate objects - interiors especially, furniture, other things inside, stuff like that. I've done no character modelling at all, and absolutely no animation. So while taking the course, which would be a good path - taking Animation & Film design with the hope of becoming, say, a background artist, or taking Product Design or Furniture and Interior design (both of which comes under Industrial Design)

All this depends on me qualifying in the exam, of course. Smile
deanhills
Good luck with the qualifying exam Saratdear. When you first mentioned your aptitude for 3-d modelling I was wondering whether you would also be good at being an architect or a mechanical engineer. Industrial design and interior design including furniture sound right as well.
standready
As Dean said, good luck with your qualifying exam. If I were in your shoes, I would look at all the careers that 3d modeling can be applied too if that is what you enjoy doing.
saratdear
Thanks, both of you. Smile The exam is on this Sunday (9th). Keeping my fingers crossed!
deanhills
How did the exam go? Any results yet? Smile
LittleBlackKitten
I'd research which is in higher demand in your area and which pays more. Does you no good to make 30/hr if there's no work. Smile
saratdear
deanhills wrote:

I think it went OK... I believe I did well, but since this is a competitive exam you can never tell. The results are said to be out by March 25 or so.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
deanhills wrote:

I think it went OK... I believe I did well, but since this is a competitive exam you can never tell. The results are said to be out by March 25 or so.
So what happens if you pass? Do they automatically place you, or do you get to choose your area of specialization? Smile
saratdear
deanhills wrote:
So what happens if you pass? Do they automatically place you, or do you get to choose your area of specialization? Smile

No...to complicate things, there is an additional studio test as well. Smile And I guess that's going to be tougher.
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
No...to complicate things, there is an additional studio test as well. Smile And I guess that's going to be tougher.
Wow, you are really being tested ..... Very Happy On the positive side however, perhaps that may help you too with regard to your decision about what course to take.
debjitbiswas
Good luck with exam.
in west bengal macc and arena is best.
Ghost Rider103
Hopefully you did well on your test. Im interested in hearing how well you do and what path you choose to take.

I personally would go with interior design or something similar. Interior design will probably never go out of demand. There will probably always be a very high demand for it.

But you should choose what you think you would enjoy doing the most. You will probably be stuck with the same job for a long time, so choose carefully.

Good luck!
saratdear
@deanhills - Indeed yes, we are. Any idea what a 'studio test' might be?

@debjitbiswas - I did consider taking a course from maac or toonz or anyone similar but the thing is I fear their 'diploma' courses may not be recognized enough.

@GhostRider - Glad to see another designer! Smile
deanhills
saratdear wrote:
@deanhills - Indeed yes, we are. Any idea what a 'studio test' might be?
I really don't know. Best guess is that they are going to give you a practical in the form of doing a design, or give you a rough outline of the design project and resources available, and how you would employ those. Bottomline, test your creativity and perhaps your ability to do 3-dimensional design.
saratdear
Just an update guys. I didn't get through. Sad

I guess I'll learn to live with it. Smile