FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Logitech Cordless Desktop EX100

Dennise
I'm ready to install Logitech's EX100 Cordless Desktop (i.e. cordless mouse AND cordless keyboard) on my Windows XP PC. This PC has an existing corded mouse (Logitech) and (Kensington) keyboard that work fine. The corded mouse is a Logitech MouseMan Wheel that uses MouseWare drivers. My concern lies with the new EX100 cordless Desktop compatibility with my existing corded mouse and keyboard. Can I operate with both corded and wireless desktop devises connected?

Logitech's installation documentation and website are useless in resolving this concern. The installation info (there is NO "manual") says refer to Logitech's website for (legacy) compatibility matters, but the website has nothing about this.

It's always an annoying problem in the PC world when troubleshooting or upgrading mouse/keyboard desktops. Logitech and other trouble shooting procedures use point 'n click moves to work through trouble, but if the mouse fails how can one follow the troubleshooting procedures in the first place? Catch 22 !!

The reason I want both a corded AND wireless desktop (at least until I'm satisfied with the new wireless desktop) is that I want a fall-back in case the wireless desktop fails or doesn't work properly.

Any ideas or suggestion
mathiaus
This shouldn't be an issue. It is generally fine to have to have multiple input devices at the same time.

Have you actually tried this and are having problems or asking beforehand?
Dennise
No problems yet, just asking beforehand. My fear is that whenever adding/changing essential input devices (e.g. mouse and keyboard) there is a real risk of input device failures which of course require these same devices to fix the failure.

My desire to keep my wired input devices as a backup when I add new wireless input devices. This avoids being 'hung-up' having no working essential input devices.
Fire Boar
99.9% of the time the wireless device will work out of the box (plug and play), providing at least basic functionality, possibly with drivers required for additional non-standard buttons. The wired device will always be compatible if it's a standard mouse input or USB connection. I shouldn't worry about breaking compatibility with your old mouse. Even Windows won't do something like that, unless your new driver somehow breaks the standard out-of-the-box one, which would be really dumb and would be grounds for a "defective product" claim against the mouse manufacturer.

But I'm talking worst-case here. All of the above pitfalls are incredibly unlikely.
Dennise
Mathiaus,

You are correct.

I installed both the new USB wireless mouse and keyboard 'on top' of the existing corded (using old (PS2?) non USB ports. Now BOTH wireless and corded mouse 'n keyboards work fine independently of each other. The new wireless desktop came up without any problems and without any software installation.

Likely, I'll not even bother with Logictech's 'SetPoint' software as I've head bad reports about it.

The wireless desktop works nicely and is very cool!
mathiaus
Glad things worked out ok for you.

SetPoint might be worth considering if you would like to customize any keys/buttons or be warned that the battery level is running low. It can also secure the connection between the keyboard and PC, though I think that is only for paranoid people!
I have used SetPoint for several years without any issues though obviously I am only one of out thousands.
Dennise
mathiaus wrote:
Glad things worked out ok for you.

SetPoint might be worth considering if you would like to customize any keys/buttons or be warned that the battery level is running low. It can also secure the connection between the keyboard and PC, though I think that is only for paranoid people!
I have used SetPoint for several years without any issues though obviously I am only one of out thousands.

But I have MouseWare on this PC and I understand SetPoint does not like to 'live' with MouseWare on the same PC. I've also heard that MouseWare is difficult to remove.

After I'm sure this wireless desktop is solid, I'll try to remove MouseWare anyway and then install SetPoint.
Alerrandre
My web cam logiteh is the best i ever had,always working,without any problem.
airh3ad
Mine too its working fine and i love using it.so far this is good brand.