FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

A tune I knocked-up last night

Bikerman
I've been wanting to put Stairway to Heaven into midi and save it for a while and last night I finally got around to it. For a bit of fun I've put some 'alternative lyrics' to it and used a voice-synthesiser to say them over the track Smile

PS - there are still a couple of bum notes I need to fix, and the midi instruments I mapped to it are a bit cheesy - I'll hook up some better synths later when I get time.
Afaceinthematrix
Broken link! When you fix it, post back here because i would like to hear the track. It sounds like it could be pretty good...

And since you mentioned Stairway to Heaven, I'll post a version that I think is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOUWZGsrEIo&feature=fvst

It, of course, isn't as good as the original but I wouldn't expect it to be; covers aren't supposed to be as good as the original (with a few exceptions that I know of). However, I definitely wouldn't mind seeing this musical group. I don't much about them. I actually found them very recently and so far I've only checked out this one song.
Bikerman
Sorry about that - my server is a bit flakey at the moment so I've upped-it to youtube.
deanhills
Good show Bikerman. I found something on the same theme by Jason Hawkins, also from the UK. He did it rap style. Really worth watching and listening to.
Bikerman
Very good - I enjoyed that.
Now, to chill, something completely different:
deanhills
Great show .... I thought that could have been vintage Bikerman though ....
Ankhanu
I'm enjoying the midi work Smile Not so much the voice addition. I can't say I enjoy the monotone vocoded voice work in almost any song; it's not a specific critique of your effort here, but a blanket statement. The lyrics do come off a little heavy handed as well, not that Plant's lyrics were particularly subtle to begin with Smile
But, like I said, I dig the midi instrumentation.

Afaceinthematrix wrote:
... covers aren't supposed to be as good as the original (with a few exceptions that I know of).

I don't think it's ever the goal of a musician to cover a song poorly Razz They're supposed to be as good as, or better than the original, just most flop. There are instances where cover versions are FAR superior to the originals, but they're not all that common.
Bikerman
To be honest the only reason I tried a voice synthesiser is that my own singing voice isn't up to the job.
The lyrics were knocked-up in about 15 minutes while I was waiting for the guitar synth to render, so they are definitely a bit sledge-hammer, I agree. I might get time to do a proper job sometime soon but it's not at the top of my current 'to do' list Smile
Ankhanu
What are you using for your vocoder? Does it have keyboard input too (ie, microKORG)? Even just changing the notes would help a lot.
Afaceinthematrix
Ankhanu wrote:
I don't think it's ever the goal of a musician to cover a song poorly :P They're supposed to be as good as, or better than the original, just most flop. There are instances where cover versions are FAR superior to the originals, but they're not all that common.

Of course not, but the point isn't necessarily to completely top the original. I remember seeing Machine Head one time and hearing them cover Pantera's "F***ing Hostile" live. I was pretty annoyed that they were doing it because they pretty much butchered that song. It wasn't until some time in the future where I realized that it doesn't really matter if they played it flawlessly like Pantera would have; what matters is that they showed their respect to Pantera.

I see people act like that all the time with covers. They'll get mad at a band because they'll cover a song and not play it as well. They should play it the best that they can but if they can't do it as well then why care? They're just showing their respect to someone who probably influenced them to play music in the first place.

Some notable covers which are better than the original are Am I Evil? by Metallica covering Diamondhead and Symphony of Destruction by Arch Enemy covering Megadeth (okay, this one I'll probably get crap for, but Angela Gossow's voice fits the song better; her voice is more evil sounding and the song is about corruption so it better fits).

However, I can think of a hundred covers that aren't as good as the original but I don't think it matters; they're still showing their respect to the original band. I agree that you should put in your best effort but if you can't play it as well, the respect is still there (as long as you tried your best)...

About Bikerman's version of the song:

The song is pretty decent. Some of the instruments could sound better, someone should be singing (hehe, I'm sure you noticed that... But it's not like you're trying to release an album; I'm sure this is just for fun), and some of the lyrics probably could be improved (although I liked many of them as well as the idea). If you don't mind me saying, it is probably a C+ or B- which is pretty damn good considering:

Quote:
To be honest the only reason I tried a voice synthesiser is that my own singing voice isn't up to the job.

And:

Quote:
The lyrics were knocked-up in about 15 minutes
Bikerman
Well, this is more to my own taste Smile

Drums, bass and pads (jazz guitar and mute guitar) programmed in midi. Piano lines played in using my midi keyboard and edited.
Afaceinthematrix
That cover isn't too bad. Of course nothing beats real instruments. Do you have the ability and equipment to use real instruments? Of course you probably just do this as a hobby so you wouldn't want to invest too much time into it... I used to do what you did (I have a similar keyboard to yours and so I used to make songs using the guitar, bass, piano, orchestra instruments (violin, cello, etc.), and a few more with my keyboard and then I would play trumpet and trombone parts myself (I own both instruments along with a few others that I wouldn't include) and then attempt to sing myself. I was just never happy with anything because I could never get a real instrument sound.

Here's a cover (and pretty good video) that some people made that I personally like.

I like the headbanging Nintendo player at 1:03 and 1:13. I also like the headbanging Mario and Luigi at the end (and the Princess blowing up!). I would like to know how they edited the video game to do that (they probably just got some sort of emulator and then rewrote the end... Or maybe they copied the graphics and edited them with some software... I don't do videos so I don't really know...
Bikerman
Yes, I can record 'real instruments' but I'm only anything like competent on keyboards.

Here's some stuff I've recorded with others playing real instruments.
THIS and THIS were recorded when a couple of friends popped round. It's just recorded off a couple of room mics since the studio wasn't setup properly, so it is really poor quality. I touched-up the second with some fx).

Here's some stuff I recorded professionally:
THIS is a band called Cicero Buck - I did the studio engineering for them in London. (The strings were against my advice - I still don't like them - the 2nd violin is flat and it drives a nail through my head when I listen to it).
THIS is a good friend Ray Carless playing say with his band RayAnthony (recorded in London).

THIS is my best mate and best man Jez playing live with his band Swervedriver