FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Billy the Kid -- Outlaw no more?

SonLight
The governor of New Mexico is considering a pardon for Billy the Kid, who died in 1881. Apparently the basis of the pardon is that a former governor promised him a pardon if he testified in a murder trial, but either never intended to keep the promise or reneged on it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20026479-504083.html

Apparently more New Mexicans voted on a web site to pardon than not. The family of Pat Garrett, who shot Billy, thinks it would tarnish Pat's reputation if Billy were pardoned. I don't see that, since Billy WAS legally an "outlaw" at the time of the shooting.

Billy is believed to have murdered ten or more people, yet he had a certain popularity in his day and is still somewhat of a hero figure. Which ever way the pardon request goes, it would be interesting to investigate more about him.
menino
Billy the kid was an "Outlaw", and I don't see why he should be pardoned now, after around 120 years.
Still, I liked the way he was portrayed in movies, as a bada$$, with a cool and calm attitutude.
I think they should just let bygones be bygones.

Also in the movies, it was portrayed that Pat Garett and Billy the kid were friends earlier.

I don't think it makes a difference now, especially after they are already dead.
standready
What a wonderful waste of taxpayer's money especially in this economy! Kid is dead - who cares? Not like he is going to walk out of jail after all these years.
jwellsy
He declined to pardon Billy the Kid.

gs-resume
Jim Morrison, however, was pardoned. And yes, the pardoner got free press as well, just as Richardson did. These potential pardons of the famous corpses are always good for some manufactured controversy and the free publicity that ensues.