FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Enumerate the crimes committed against you

tingkagol
I've had my brushes with criminals. And I thought it would be interesting to see what crimes have been committed against the frihosters. Smile

I'll start.
  • Thieves have broken into my house a total 2 times.
  • I'm a victim of a pickpocket around 2004. Lost my cellphone.
  • I've already had a gun held to my head.
*edit*

...oh, I almost forgot:
  • Thieves broke into my car (broke my rear-door window) and stole nothing but my iPod. Happened earlier this year (2010). Can't believe I forgot that one. lol
Conclusion: This place is f**ked up.
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
I've had my brushes with criminals. And I thought it would be interesting to see what crimes have been committed against the frihosters. Smile

I'll start.

• Thieves have broken into my house a total 2 times.
  • I'm a victim of a pickpocket around 2004. Lost my cellphone.
  • I've already had a gun held to my head.

Where I am right now in the UAE I have not had a single incidence of crime happening to me. Last night (by accident - this does not happen often) I was sleeping with my key in my front door from the outside. But when I noticed it, it did not really matter that much. There may be incidences of theft in the bigger cities in the UAE, but may have been lucky but at the same time after having lived in South Africa for many years am very careful and alert when I travel. When I travel to Dubai I only have one ID on me with cash and leave all my credit cards, passport etc at home. I also move purposeful and fast. And maybe I am also lucky and blessed.

Before this I was living in Vancouver, Canada and that is safe in the same way. There are areas where there are crime, and if I am in those areas I just am very careful.
menino
Wow tingkagol, you've really had a gun held to your head?

I can only imagine it, but can't fathom the fear you might have felt, man.

If what I had are crimes, then they are nothing against what you've come across.

I'm not a rich guy, so I guess that's one reason I don't get "targetted", and the other reason probably is that I live in an ok area, where not much crime persists, except for illegal aliens.
I also have an old small nokia phone, so I don't think anyone would even want to look at it, lest steal it.
tingkagol
menino wrote:
Wow tingkagol, you've really had a gun held to your head?

It happened when I was still in college, and it wasn't just me. Me and my friends were snacking at an outdoor bakery near our school (we were probably 6 in all) when 3 guys in their mid 30s to 40s showed up and taunted us to fight them. They were probably high with crystal meth. We just stared at them until one guy (fat guy - chubby not obese) drew a pistol from the back of his shirt. From that point on, we stopped eating, bowed our heads as to not make any eye contact (which may further aggravate the idiots).

He pointed his gun (I'm not sure what it was - probably a .38cal revolver) at each one of our bowing heads. All whilst screaming and spouting bs. He then decided to intimidate us further by firing a warning shot. The gun did not go off. He pulled the trigger again and a resounding "bam" enveloped the place. All of us literally jumped in our seats, our adrenaline/nerves peaking. At that point I thought he had shot someone, but he was actually aiming at a nearby wall. He then said, "thought this didn't have any bullets, did you?!? HUHH??? HUH?!?!? HUHHHHH?!?!??!".

After a few minutes they probably figured we've had enough and let us go. One of them flicked a cigarette butt to the face of my friend as we got up from our seats.

This happened around 3pm in the afternoon in broad daylight. The bakery had sales people, but when the 3 idiots came, they vanished. As for law enforcement, nobody bothered to call the police while this was happening or after it happened. All of us just wanted to go home.
Bikerman
I was threatened with a knife a few years ago. I was working in a rough part of London at a recording studio (Odessa Wharf in Hackney). I'd just finished a marathon recording session (28 hours) and it was about 1.00am, so I decided to nip to the kebab shop (about 400 yards up the road). I got about halfway when a smallish (5'7'' or so) Caribbean guy asked me for a light and, when I went for my lighter, pulled a knife.
He demanded my wallet, watch and jacket. He chose a bad night and the wrong person - I'd spent 2 days coaxing a performance out of a primadona singer and her talentless guitarist husband, and I was starving hungry and in no mood to take any more nonsense. Besides which NOBODY takes my leather (biker gear, v.expensive and v. well padded). I gave him a nice Wigan Kiss, polished my shoes on the inside leg of his jeans, and carried on my way.

Aside from that I've been relatively untroubled by crime. I've had a few things nicked over the years but mainly my own fault for leaving them somewhere. I haven't locked my back door in 15 years - there again I have got 4 dogs. Burglary is not a common occurrence where I live, though we did have a bit of excitement a few months back when the local post-office was ram-raided.
standready
I guess I am lucky in that nothing has happen - yet! I leave my house open and car unlock sometimes (bit careless)
ocalhoun
my house is always unlocked, all 3 of my cars are always unlocked with keys in the ignition, and I go wherever I want without fear of being assaulted.
Have never been the victim of any crime since moving here.
Aren't rural areas nice?
Nameless
I have had my life put in the hands of dumb chance literally hundreds if not thousands of times thanks to complete bleeps who blissfully disobey traffic laws. And this one time, my brother stole fifty bucks from me. MLIA.
tingkagol
Bikerman wrote:
I gave him a nice Wigan Kiss, polished my shoes on the inside leg of his jeans, and carried on my way.

What's a Wigan Kiss?

Speaking of unlocked cars and houses, I wish I had that convenience. The average house here always has to be surrounded by walls with barbed wires at the top, and towering gates. If any of that is missing, your stuff are as good as stolen. And I never leave cars unlocked, or leave keys in the ignition. That would be mighty careless of me.

I've always wondered how it felt like to have as much sense of safety like you guys have. I've been thinking about it, and yes, safety does influence alot of other factors besides someone's well-being. Confidence, for instance. Or adventurousness. Being able to walk the streets without ever having to watch your back.
Bikerman
A Wigan Kiss is a head-butt, delivered with considerable force to the top of the assailant's nose. It is a remarkably effective self-defence technique when someone threatens you close-up from the front. If done correctly it breaks the nose, stuns the attacker and makes it difficult for them to breathe properly if they remain upright. In this case it put him down, and the kick to the groin was simply insurance in case he tried to be macho and get up again (he didn't).
I abhor violence but my father insisted that I learn some 'dirty' techniques as a teenager, in case I couldn't avoid it - and if I was religious I would say a prayer of thanks to him. I have only had to use that sort of violence on 3 occasions in my nearly 50 years - a fact which I am also grateful for. On other occasions there has been the chance to use an even more effective technique - running away - but, as my dad said, if you have to fight then don't even consider fighting fair - aim to disable the attacker as quickly and forcefully as possible. If that means seriously damaging them, then I'm afraid that is tough. The sort of romanticised violence we see on television is not how it is in the real world.
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
Speaking of unlocked cars and houses, I wish I had that convenience. The average house here always has to be surrounded by walls with barbed wires at the top, and towering gates. If any of that is missing, your stuff are as good as stolen. And I never leave cars unlocked, or leave keys in the ignition. That would be mighty careless of me.
It's exactly like that in South Africa, everywhere, even in your small towns. Quite a large number of people have electric fencing and razor wiring. The electric fencing does not look as bad, but the negative is of course that those living in the house can also be electrocuted and injured if the wall is low. It is always a contrast when I visit South Africa, but it is quite strange how quickly one adapts. After day three one just doesn't notice the walls any longer. I feel sorry for the dogs, as of course they can't see what they are barking at when they hear someone on the other side of the wall and that has to put a lot of stress on them.
tingkagol
Speaking of walls and gates, a friend of mine just got mugged right outside of his house. He was waiting for the house help to open the gates when two men showed up and aimed their pistols at him. Thankfully, they only managed to get his cellphone and took off right as the maid opened the gate. Happened just a few minutes ago...

He lives in a poorly-lit neighborhood with a history of robberies and hold-ups, and some victims aren't as lucky- killed just for a measly cellphone.
watersoul
Just a motorbike stolen when I was 17, and numerous kickings unconscious by gangs of lads while I was caught on my own - a particularly nasty one involving 20 stitches to my leg after being slashed by a Stanley knife (craft knife).
All of this happened when I was young at the rough estate I grew up on, and to be fair, I committed enough crimes myself then so I figure I just reaped what I sowed.
Throughout the many years I've been living on the SW coast of England I've experienced almost no crime at all apart from the odd smashed car window - but then, I've committed none myself either Smile
deanhills
tingkagol wrote:
Speaking of walls and gates, a friend of mine just got mugged right outside of his house. He was waiting for the house help to open the gates when two men showed up and aimed their pistols at him. Thankfully, they only managed to get his cellphone and took off right as the maid opened the gate. Happened just a few minutes ago...[/url].
That is a classic vulnerable point in any security system. Quite a number of years ago a friend of mine in Durban, South Africa got his car stolen off him at this point, one of those taxi mini vans then abducted him, he got beat up very bad and dumped in one of the townships. Some good Samaritans took him to the local Hospital and it took a long time for his wife to locate him, as he had received some real head injuries, it took a long time for him to recover. He still has ringing in his ears, and can't hear perfectly. His balance is out. I have heard of so many situations where people get carjacked or attacked when they enter their homes. Even on remote control.
polly-gone
I have been lucky enough to never have had any major crime committed against me.

Now, if you want to get nit-picky, there have probably been hundreds, if not thousands of small crimes like someone cutting you off when you are driving (reckless driving), being pushed out of the way (simply assault), or being yelled at by a stranger (harassment.)

But come on, who HASN'T had these things happen to them!?

-Nick Cool Rolling Eyes Cool
ocalhoun
polly-gone wrote:
Now, if you want to get nit-picky, there have probably been hundreds, if not thousands of small crimes like someone cutting you off when you are driving (reckless driving), being pushed out of the way (simply assault), or being yelled at by a stranger (harassment.)

But come on, who HASN'T had these things happen to them!?

I haven't. ^.^
People are just more courteous around here.
(It's fun to see someone move here from a large city -- they're dumbfounded to see what's considered common courtesy in these parts.)
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
I haven't. ^.^
People are just more courteous around here.
(It's fun to see someone move here from a large city -- they're dumbfounded to see what's considered common courtesy in these parts.)
They should visit where I am as that would probably shake them up and then some. One could probably see it as a crime of sorts as traffic accidents are one of the highest causes of death in the UAE. You literally take your life in your own hands when you are driving. Some of those four-wheel Toyota Kamikazes are literally doing low flying and all kinds of sports manouvres on the road. Just imagine yourself in the middle of the road, and two of those flying past you but trying to aim as close as possible to you. That has however only happened once to me. I'm probably lucky that I was driving straight at the time. You can imagine the horrible accidents that can happen at times. Quite a number of teenager nationals have access to 4-wheel kamikazes and practice these to their limits off road as well as on road. It could just be a case of being in their proximity at the wrong time. I imagine that can be called a crime of sorts.

I live in a smallish place compared with Dubai but still sizable enough to be called a city of sorts. When I am driving in Dubai, there is much more common sense and courtesy and I have not seen any of the above road acrobatics in Dubai, however when I am driving where I am, in addition to looking out in a million directions, one has to have a sixth sense of the completely unexpected and then some. So this is just the opposite of your experience. The courtesy of big city versus smaller city is just reversed. It is not a deliberate lack of courtesy however, just complete lack of being aware.
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Some of those four-wheel Toyota Kamikazes are literally doing low flying and all kinds of sports manouvres on the road.

So, they're aptly named, I gather?
deanhills
ocalhoun wrote:
deanhills wrote:
Some of those four-wheel Toyota Kamikazes are literally doing low flying and all kinds of sports manouvres on the road.

So, they're aptly named, I gather?
Well Kamikaze is a kind of nick name, not the real name, they are usually Toyota Landcruisers. There are also many other varieties of four-wheel drives, like Nissan, BMW, etc.