FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Garmin Nuvi suction adapter not working

Tony The Tiger
I have a two year old Garmin Nuvi. It came with a suction adapter mount to stick it on the inside of the windshield. It stopped staying stuck to the windshield. I acquired a replacement mounting device, which has begun to behave similarly. Now, I have to drive with the Garmin attached to the mount, which is placed on the dash counter under the windshield. I find that the device now slides around and often even slides into my lap or onto the floor. I once saw someone who had a dashmount with weights. Do many people set their Garmins on the dash with weights? Is there any other alternative method of mounting or use that I should consider. I am hoping for some advice on my alternatives so that I can continue to use my device without it sliding all over the place.
ahnguye5
Are you sure you're using the suction cup correctly? I own a Garmin Nuvi also and the suction cup isn't a typical one that you push against the glass, you've got to use the lever.
standready
The one thing that I have found that causes suction cups to fail is the cup and/or whatever you are attaching to are not clean. Also check cup for cracks.
Tony The Tiger
standready wrote:
The one thing that I have found that causes suction cups to fail is the cup and/or whatever you are attaching to are not clean. Also check cup for cracks.

I have two suction cups and neither one is cracked. I will clean the cup and the window and retry again thereafter.
Tony The Tiger
ahnguye5 wrote:
Are you sure you're using the suction cup correctly? I own a Garmin Nuvi also and the suction cup isn't a typical one that you push against the glass, you've got to use the lever.

Yes mine has a lever that you use along with manual pressure. I understand how to use the lever, but the suction comes undone (the device falls off the window) after about 5 minutes.
ahnguye5
Tony The Tiger wrote:
Yes mine has a lever that you use along with manual pressure. I understand how to use the lever, but the suction comes undone (the device falls off the window) after about 5 minutes.

Man, I can't believe it. Mine is so solid.
weableandbob
I've had a similar problem and resorted to just keeping it in a place where it can't fall down. There doesn't seem to be any fix for it that I can see. Probably just bad design on Garmin's part.
coolclay
Make sure you clean both surfaces w/ alcohol, then slightly moisten the suction cup with water before applying. In my old truck, a chevy 1500, I had the "bean bag" mount which worked awesome, but I now have a VW Rabbit pickup that doesn't have enough room to fit the bean bag mount, and my Ique between the dash and the windshield, so I got a cheap ($5) suction cup mount on ebay that works great! Also check the edges of the suction cup, sometimes after they come for the factory the edges are rough and don't seal.
Tony The Tiger
coolclay wrote:
Make sure you clean both surfaces w/ alcohol, then slightly moisten the suction cup with water before applying. In my old truck, a chevy 1500, I had the "bean bag" mount which worked awesome, but I now have a VW Rabbit pickup that doesn't have enough room to fit the bean bag mount, and my Ique between the dash and the windshield, so I got a cheap ($5) suction cup mount on ebay that works great! Also check the edges of the suction cup, sometimes after they come for the factory the edges are rough and don't seal.

Can I google bean bag mount or is there another term for it? How would I find it on eBay?