FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Windows, playing media files [question]

Denvis
I found this kind of interesting. It's not a problem, I just couldn't figure out why this occurred. I noticed that when a particular file is opened by another program I'm unable to modify some of the file details. Let's say I have a .mp3 file and I open it up using windows media player. When I go into the file properties and then access the details tab, i'm unable to change the settings and only able to do so when the file is not being used. However if I take that same file (even while it's still playing) and then move it to another folder, there aren't any disruptions. I'm just wondering how this works?

I'm going to assume that the file itself isn't the actual file being used, it's a copy of it within primary memory and rather than the media player reading from a folder, a copy of the file is already loaded into the program thus allowing the original file to be moved around. However, if this is true (and i'm pulling sh!t out of my ass at the moment), why would it not allow me to change a simple title but let me move it from point A to B? (again assuming it's using an algorithm with similar logics)
FunDa
Denvis wrote:
I found this kind of interesting. It's not a problem, I just couldn't figure out why this occurred. I noticed that when a particular file is opened by another program I'm unable to modify some of the file details. Let's say I have a .mp3 file and I open it up using windows media player. When I go into the file properties and then access the details tab, i'm unable to change the settings and only able to do so when the file is not being used. However if I take that same file (even while it's still playing) and then move it to another folder, there aren't any disruptions. I'm just wondering how this works?

I'm going to assume that the file itself isn't the actual file being used, it's a copy of it within primary memory and rather than the media player reading from a folder, a copy of the file is already loaded into the program thus allowing the original file to be moved around. However, if this is true (and i'm pulling sh!t out of my ass at the moment), why would it not allow me to change a simple title but let me move it from point A to B? (again assuming it's using an algorithm with similar logics)

You mean u are able to "copy" the file, not "move" it right ?

The file is locked by that program when in use, but making copies is allowed. So you will be able to copy the file to another folder, but not be able to modify the details of the file which is being used.

Sometimes, a program might crash without unlocking a file, then u have to either wait till the next restart or use a special tool to unlock the file before modifying it again.
frenz4ever
Denvis wrote:

When i read this fact i just tried in my system.I opened the .mp3 file in winamp and tried to move file it just prompt with try again[simply i can't do].Then i just open that in windows media player and now i can move while it was playing.A strange thing i noticed is that when i move that file to its original place then there was a error message saying Destination Folder Access Denied.So In my thinking using windows media player just create a working buffer in the harddisc with same name.So when i tried to move that to original place it was denied.As for modification let see what other says.
gfreezy
Denvis wrote:

i tried it on my Windows 7. when i open .mp3 file with media player,i can modify it,move it and anything can be done as if it was not be opened. however, with foobar2000,moving the file and changing the title both warn.maybe media player just open an copy of the file and open it readonly.and i can't modify the imformation of the mp3.but in foobar2000,modify is allowed.i guess foobar2000 open mp3 in lock mode.so other program can't change it.