FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Do you like to do horse riding?

lovescience
I like to do horse riding. I am still trying to understand horse that how a horse can sense you and to listen you.

While riding a horse, horse can feel your weight, and how a rider distribute the weight on the horse body. Last time I rode a horse, I cantered on the horse. It was the longest one I ever had before the horse stop. My body was centered in saddle with a movement brought by the horse movement. My upper thighs stayed relax for the horse's forward movement. My upper body had a movement of back and forth in diagonal.

Quote:
The distribution of weight on the horse is also an important factor. The saddle is designed to distribute the weight of the rider over a large surface.

http://www.ezo.wur.nl/UK/PhD-research/Horse-rider+interaction/

Importance of Rider Position for Barrel Racing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG0PQf1SW7Y
silverdown
I rode a horse once in my life, it was ok, it also tried to eat my hair which wasn't fun since it bites and TUGS very hard.....i still feel it to this day.... Shocked Exclamation
ocalhoun
silverdown wrote:
it also tried to eat my hair which wasn't fun since it bites and TUGS very hard.....i still feel it to this day.... Shocked Exclamation

^.^
That was actually a sign of affection... Horses show affection for each other by grooming each other in much the same way... Of course, they have tougher hair and tougher skin, and they usually don't think of taking it easy on us more delicate creatures.

(Either that, or it though your shampoo smelled like food... It could go either way.)
lovescience
I was brushing the horse hair last time I went to horse riding, and also its tail.

The horse tail hair was thicker than its hair on its head and neck and felt like plastic.

I heard a trick to groom its tail hair without loosing the hair too much while grooming is to groom from its lower part of tail hair and hold its upper tail hair, so without pulling its hair off from its tail.
newerahacks
lovescience wrote:
I like to do horse riding. I am still trying to understand horse that how a horse can sense you and to listen you.

While riding a horse, horse can feel your weight, and how a rider distribute the weight on the horse body. Last time I rode a horse, I cantered on the horse. It was the longest one I ever had before the horse stop. My body was centered in saddle with a movement brought by the horse movement. My upper thighs stayed relax for the horse's forward movement. My upper body had a movement of back and forth in diagonal.

Quote:
The distribution of weight on the horse is also an important factor. The saddle is designed to distribute the weight of the rider over a large surface.

http://www.ezo.wur.nl/UK/PhD-research/Horse-rider+interaction/

Importance of Rider Position for Barrel Racing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG0PQf1SW7Y

nope i dont really like the things and when ever i see one it reminds me of broke back mountain
gandalfthegrey
I use to go horseback riding when I was younger. It's quite enjoyable.
ocalhoun
newerahacks wrote:
and when ever i see one it reminds me of broke back mountain

Helpful advice:
Do more real life activities, watch less TV/Movies.

(Really, despite what the advertisers tell you, real life is more fun.)
mengshi200
agreed.horse riding is a fantasic sport.I am sure i will have chance to try it in the future.
ocalhoun
mengshi200 wrote:
agreed.horse riding is a fantasic sport.I am sure i will have chance to try it in the future.

Volunteer with a therapeutic riding place, or a horse rescue place... You'll get a chance soon if you do that, and for free probably.
foumy6
never really tried it :/ mabey I will someday lol
ham65
I never did kkkkk.
yagnyavalkya
Horse riding is good
nigam
i wanna try it but i am scared....
ankur209
i love horse riding....!! rode last month only.... Wink
missing the good time Embarassed
Ankhanu
In general, I dislike horses. I don't trust them, I don't think they're generally smart, and they tend to lack grace Razz I respect their power, speed, etc., but I just don't like them.

Along with that, I don't like horse riding Razz I dated someone who owned a horse. I didn't mind spending time around the stable, but I didn't like the horses; some I disliked more than others Razz I did ride from time to time, but not very often. I did trust the hoses I rode not to hurt me, but I still didn't have a lot of respect for them as beings, aside from the intrinsic respect I have towards any organism... I didn't really get the appeal of riding either.

To each their own, I suppose.
ocalhoun
nigam wrote:
i wanna try it but i am scared....

Aw, don't be scared.
All you need to do is spend some time with a nice gentle horse, and you'll learn there's little to be scared of... and you'll learn how to handle them enough so that you don't need to be afraid even when it is a little dangerous.

(I have a co-worker who is terrified of horses... It amuses me to no end, because otherwise he's such a 'tough guy'.)

They're big, powerful animals, which means they are dangerous... but 99% of them don't want to hurt you, all you need to do is follow a few safety rules... And for the other 1%, you usually just have to know how to put them in their place - as long as you don't act scared, and instead face them boldly, they shy away.

Ankhanu wrote:
In general, I dislike horses. I don't trust them, I don't think they're generally smart,

You should see my horse... Yesterday I watched her from my window as she was trying to figure out the latch to the gate on her pasture. Luckily, she can't open it without opposable thumbs, though it doesn't stop her from experimenting.
Quote:
and they tend to lack grace

Compared to what?
Quote:
Razz I respect their power, speed, etc., but I just don't like them.

Okay, I see how it is. *cry*
nigam
thanks for your advice...but i guess i wanna try it one of these days....
Ankhanu
ocalhoun wrote:
You should see my horse...

Okay, I see how it is. *cry*

Hehe, yeah, I understand your love of them, and I understand other peoples' love of them, but, it just doesn't translate for me. Of course, some of my favorite organisms send others running away screaming or shivering with revulsion, so, who am I to talk Razz
tomisme
Just tried once. I still like riding it.
hassane
I still remember my first "horse riding" , nice moments
yagnyavalkya
In a study to investigate the difficulty to halter and separate a horse (Equus caballus) from a collection for riding or training reason and to explain how human-horse connections might have an effect on this common process. It was found that a total of 20 different horse groups, with a minimum of five horses in each studied on 14 farms in Norway, from June to October 2007 I n every group, the horse owner or keeper (handler) was questioned to enter the group, approach his/her horse, halter it and lead it out from side to side to the gate, then remain the horse standing out of sight from additional horses for two minutes. The whole modus operandi was video recorded and the behaviour of the target horse, handler and other horses was consequently scored. no more than one of the 100 horses stirred away from the handler whilst approached. Ninety-six percent of the target horses went behind their handler devoid of showing any conflict. The study concluded that separating a horse from its group can be well thought-out ascomparatively safe and without any problems, provided high-quality organization practices and trained handlers.
ocalhoun
yagnyavalkya wrote:
The study concluded that separating a horse from its group can be well thought-out ascomparatively safe and without any problems, provided high-quality organization practices and trained handlers.

...Which anybody who works with horses often could tell you.
...And it's not like it takes high levels of organization or training; as long as the horses are well trained, there is very little risk.

Was somebody under the impression that separating a trained horse from a herd of other trained horses was dangerous?
Only if you're dealing with half-wild horses who's training consists only of being ridden until they stop bucking.
syj824
I believe it will quite enjoyable.but,i never did
Greatking
I am yet to get on the horse, but i would love to ride soon.
i love the idea of it already.
when i watch people riding it just makes wana jump on one
but i understand you have to trained on how to ride so one does not hurt themselves.
IceCreamTruck
There are things about riding horses that I wish my car would do. The car doesn't remember the way home, so you can't just kick back and let them drive themselves, but horses pick up on "going home" pretty quick, so they get an auto-pilot especially on trails that they travel often and I enjoy being able to look around more from the back of a horse and take in the scenery.

I wouldn't call horses dumb, but they're lack of understanding and unpredictable reactions to small things can get a little tiresome at times. Just when you least expect it the horse is jumping to the side or behaving strangely and it often takes a moment for us to even realize what it is that is bothering them because we can't see the world as simply as they do. They can be very genuine friends though because of this simplicity.

Grace is something that horses have a lot of so I don't understand where that comment came from and how Ocalhoun didn't take huge offense to it. Horses grace and beauty is rarely matched in the animal kingdom. They are a very majestic animal, and if you don't think so then feel how small you feel when a small group of them starts running your direction. The ground moves, and your knees will quake.

I like horses but they can't hold a candle to the comedic value of goats, llamas, and alpacas which are a laugh a minute to me. I don't know why...

Look at that face! Who couldn't love that face? Smile

Are you sure you don't want a kiss? lol
Ankhanu
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Grace is something that horses have a lot of so I don't understand where that comment came from and how Ocalhoun didn't take huge offense to it. Horses grace and beauty is rarely matched in the animal kingdom. They are a very majestic animal, and if you don't think so then feel how small you feel when a small group of them starts running your direction. The ground moves, and your knees will quake.

That's not grace... that's power. Power and mass Razz
One of the working definitions of grace includes "light-footedness", what you're describing here is the exact opposite. Finesse, agility, suppleness... these are also not inferred by your description. Some might describe horses as agile, and I suppose they are, as far as ruminants go... but they fall far to the wayside by most other organisms that would be called graceful... even us Razz

It is impressive, yes; but graceful, it is not Wink
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:
IceCreamTruck wrote:

That's not grace... that's power. Power and mass Razz
One of the working definitions of grace includes "light-footedness", what you're describing here is the exact opposite. Finesse, agility, suppleness... these are also not inferred by your description. Some might describe horses as agile, and I suppose they are, as far as ruminants go... but they fall far to the wayside by most other organisms that would be called graceful... even us Razz

It is impressive, yes; but graceful, it is not Wink

If grace is any kind of measure to ability to move weight around effectively then horses have us beat as they move much greater weight at much faster speeds. We are not very graceful creatures as a whole although some humans show more grace than others we're still a far cry from graceful as a species.
Ankhanu
We seem to be at an impasse regarding how "grace" is used properly.
IceCreamTruck
Ankhanu wrote:

I agree. To me it's graceful that they are so heavy and yet move so fast, and they don't just fall over... although I've seen that happen.

They can still run with us on their backs too, so I'm not sure what you mean by grace because I don't see many horses wearing tutus and performing ballet. Not that you are suggesting this, but that my mind only sees this as an alternate definition in humor.
Ankhanu
IceCreamTruck wrote:
Ankhanu wrote:

I agree. To me it's graceful that they are so heavy and yet move so fast, and they don't just fall over... although I've seen that happen.

They can still run with us on their backs too, so I'm not sure what you mean by grace because I don't see many horses wearing tutus and performing ballet. Not that you are suggesting this, but that my mind only sees this as an alternate definition in humor.

What you're talking about is still power. Your tongue in cheek comment on the tutus and ballet, joking though it was, gets to the point quite nicely. Grace is that sort of fluidity, lightness, nimbleness, etc... it's not brute force. It's brute force that gets horses moving so fast; they're strong. It's this same power that allows them to move fast with heavy loads on them (people, carts, plows, etc). You don't see horses making quick tight turns, twists, etc... the closest you'll see might be barrel racing, but, again, they're not really moving with grace; the depth their hooves dig in, the thunderous clomps of their hooves on the ground and the height/distance that the dirt goes into the air somewhat speak against that.

Some argument for grace could come from their jumping, I suppose, but even that is raw power rather than fluidity and grace. Grace can also come in the shapes of their lines as they move at high speed (though I think this has more to do with illusions generated by their manes and tails than anything else)... By and large though, they don't really imply grace.

Cats are graceful... horses are not really. They're stiff, they're heavy, they're powerful... not really that graceful though Smile
IceCreamTruck
Some might think a bull in a china shop is the definition of not being graceful, but the Myth Busters put that one to the test, and the bull didn't break any china, and moved around all the shelves and containers without breaking a single cup or plate. Would you call this grace since he outweighs you by easily 9 times over? I don't think they did the same thing with horses so we will never know, but it would have been a good comparison animal to the bull to measure grace of these large animals.
Ankhanu
Grace is independent of bulk.
Though, yeah, a graceful bulky thing is kind of impressive to see. There's a certain delight when seeing the juxtaposition of grace and bulk. I wouldn't say the bull moving carefully through the china shop was graceful (I saw that episode Wink ), but it was careful.
ocalhoun
I suppose everybody could guess my position on this issue. ^.^

Anyway, some relevant data for consideration:

Looks pretty graceful to me.