FRIHOSTFORUMSSEARCHFAQTOSBLOGSCOMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!


ABIWORD: a free word processor





rjraaz
If you are looking for a word processor that is free and extremely simple to use, hen AbiWord is exactly what you should be looking at. However, don’t keep your expectations too high, as this nifty little application comes with an extremely simple interface. Having said that, one shouldn’t overlook the fact that this app comes built with most of the features that Microsoft Word offers.
The application features predefined templates such as business letters, employee directory, memo, etc. It also comes with a built-in spell checker that allows you to locate errors and make necessary corrections. Moreover, the editor can be configured to auto save at regular intervals. In addition to this, the user can maintain a document history that maintains a log of what is entered as well as deleted. In addition to all this, AbiWord also allows you to crate tables, and offers basic text formatting options such as bold and italic and indented paragraphs. A feature that users will surely appreciate is the document comparison. However, the comparison can only be performed when both the required documents are open at the same time.
Another aspect that works in AbiWord’s favor is its package size. Barely under 8MB, it comes loaded with enough features to make you wonder why anyone would invest in Microsoft Word, when you can get a word processor that’s totally free.

For further details visit: http://abisource.com
menino
Abiword may be free and good to use at home, for beginners and newbies, but for the office environment, you need a full fledged multimedia rich word processor.
Even if you are not using the features of it, you will be collaborating with users who do use them, and therefore, for compatibilty's sake, you have to use a paid software as such.

Abiword will be good for the netbook, but there are other free word processors out there, like notepad+, which comes to mind.
loyal
menino wrote:
Abiword may be free and good to use at home, for beginners and newbies, but for the office environment, you need a full fledged multimedia rich word processor.
Even if you are not using the features of it, you will be collaborating with users who do use them, and therefore, for compatibilty's sake, you have to use a paid software as such.

Abiword will be good for the netbook, but there are other free word processors out there, like notepad+, which comes to mind.


Notepad +? Is that the same as notepad ++ (which is more of a coding editor than a word processor)?

In any case, while it may be true that the fully-fledged Office suite is necessary, partly because of compatability issues, and because everyone uses it, Abiword and similar alternatives are good for on the on-the-go or quick editing. PortableApps offer a portable version for the USB which I can see being useful, especially if the host computer does not have the Office suite.

What does everyone think of Abiword vs openoffice?

Peace.
weableandbob
I personally prefer Open Office, plus it has a portable version, too.
surdy
Assuming you have used ABIWord and LibreOffice(OpenOffice) ...how does it compare to LibreOffice ?
silverdown
Ill check it out, thanks for sharing this information Very Happy
meep
Well I have both AbiWord and OpenOffice installed here, and I prefer OpenOffice over AbiWord.
Abiword is good as a basic word processor, but if you want something that can at least compete a bit with Microsoft Office you should get OpenOffice.
chartcentral
Aside from Abiword and OpenOffice.org, you can also check out the latter's fork called LibreOffice. Smile
SultanMA
Microsoft Word 2007 is deserve it's price really ... hope they discount :S

Thanks for sharing ;;;
loyal
chartcentral wrote:
Aside from Abiword and OpenOffice.org, you can also check out the latter's fork called LibreOffice. Smile


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LibreOffice#Comparison_with_OpenOffice.org

There is a possibility that the two forks may reunite since oracle donated openoffice to the apache guys.
milleja46
Forget, openoffice.org it's dead since oracle has dropped it from support. Libreoffice is what people should be using, found out the hard way that it's dead now....
rjraaz
milleja46 wrote:
Forget, openoffice.org it's dead since oracle has dropped it from support. Libreoffice is what people should be using, found out the hard way that it's dead now....


So we have only two options to choose from

one is Windows Office

and second one is Abiword
milleja46
I never said that, Openoffice is now LibreOffice only, since Libre is technically the only one being maintained and developed according to everything i've heard
rjraaz
milleja46 wrote:
I never said that, Openoffice is now LibreOffice only, since Libre is technically the only one being maintained and developed according to everything i've heard


Ok that means now openoffice known as LibreOffice, and maintained by developers.
milleja46
Yes because the actual openoffice died out so libreoffice took it's place now
loyal
milleja46 wrote:
Yes because the actual openoffice died out so libreoffice took it's place now


That's the great thing about having open-source software that has that type of license. It allows a project run by those trying to stifle it or kill it to be forked and saved. SMF is open-source but it had a type of license that did not allow it to be forked. The result? It was run by idiots who resulted in SMF 2.0 taking longer than most Operating Systems to be released (and it's STILL not out), and dispute the rebellion and struggle they couldn't get rid of the people in charge until very recently.
milleja46
loyal wrote:
milleja46 wrote:
Yes because the actual openoffice died out so libreoffice took it's place now


That's the great thing about having open-source software that has that type of license. It allows a project run by those trying to stifle it or kill it to be forked and saved. SMF is open-source but it had a type of license that did not allow it to be forked. The result? It was run by idiots who resulted in SMF 2.0 taking longer than most Operating Systems to be released (and it's STILL not out), and dispute the rebellion and struggle they couldn't get rid of the people in charge until very recently.

That's one of the great things about libre, and libre as it is now only a few months after the fork taking off, it's gone to being alot faster than the original and being very more useful and professional. I love it Cool
alexbownsb
Hello RjRaaz!

Thanks a lot for sharing this useful program with us. Actually, being a student i cannot afford the pricey software for word processing as i need just a basic word processing tool but you know many persons recommends MS Office, it might be great but not for me. I was looking for such programs that are free and you had just published my choice. I just came across a blog post at www.wordprocessorfree.com and this thread at same time and got ABiword suggested in both, which made it easy for me to pick up this one as my free word processor program.
mrkk
alexbownsb wrote:
Hello RjRaaz!

Thanks a lot for sharing this useful program with us. Actually, being a student i cannot afford the pricey software for word processing as i need just a basic word processing tool but you know many persons recommends MS Office, it might be great but not for me. I was looking for such programs that are free and you had just published my choice. I just came across a blog post at www.wordprocessorfree.com and this thread at same time and got ABiword suggested in both, which made it easy for me to pick up this one as my free word processor program.


When I went to college, I purchased Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 for $9.95 through some Microsoft Home-Use Program that had a partnership with my university. I recommend searching for deals like this, as extremely good software can be made affordable.
Related topics
How Spyware Works!!!
A "small" list of free apps
14 ways to add content to your web site and attract visitors
OpenOffice.org 2.0 Final Launches!
Office Suite
which one is right for you?
Admin(s), or trustworthy people, I would like a little help.
Google OS
Which Linux distribution is the best?
Web based OS--EyeOS
OpenOffice.org
A great word processor Freeware!
Tutorial: How to write HTML without ANY code whatsoever!
What a word processor
Reply to topic    Frihost Forum Index -> Computers -> Software

FRIHOST HOME | FAQ | TOS | ABOUT US | CONTACT US | SITE MAP
© 2005-2011 Frihost, forums powered by phpBB.