FRIHOST FORUMS SEARCH FAQ TOS BLOGS COMPETITIONS
You are invited to Log in or Register a free Frihost Account!

Chinese bible revised after 90 years

mengshi200
China's 70 million Protestant Christians are to get a new bible for Christmas, in the first revision of the Chinese Union Version bible since it was introduced by missionaries in 1919.
So Chinese worshippers did not know when Jesus was nailed to the cross, or when he died Photo: AURORA

By Malcolm Moore, Shanghai 4:26PM GMT 23 Dec 2010
The revision, which was first proposed in the 1960s, has taken 27 years and around 1 million to complete and provoked heated debate among scholars in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.

Almost all of China's Protestants use the Chinese Union Version, a translation of the English Revised Version bible that itself took 29 years to produce.

read more:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/8221805/Chinese-bible-revised-after-90-years.html
mengshi200
However,through internet,Chinese can get many bible version included Chinese and English.
deanhills
Wow! This is interesting to note. I never realized there were so many Christian Protestants in China, and if there were, that they would be so open with their information? I thought the Government would not be in favour of Christianity or any form of religion in China?

OK, I just had a quick look in Wikipedia, and this seems to be an answer (more or less) to my question:
Quote:
The growth of the faith has been particularly significant since the loosening of restrictions on religion by the People's Republic since the 1970s, though it has recently slowed down due to the grassroot return of people to the Chinese Ethnic Religion. Religious practices are still often tightly controlled by government authorities. Chinese over age 18 in the PRC are permitted to be involved with officially sanctioned Christian meetings through the "China Christian Council", "Three-Self Patriotic Movement" or the "Chinese Catholic Patriotic Association". Many Chinese Christians also meet in "unregistered" house church meetings. Reports of sporadic persecution against such Christians in Mainland China have caused concern among outside observers.
standready
Wow, in deed! Like Dean I never thought that the Chinese government allowed any other religion. Yet several are allowed to flourish.
inuyasha
Chinese bible? I've never heard of it before.
Seldom does a Chinese believe in any religions.
deanhills
inuyasha wrote:
Chinese bible? I've never heard of it before.
Seldom does a Chinese believe in any religions.
Looks as though there are 70 million exceptions? Very Happy
jwellsy
I thought Bibles had been banned in China for many years and the only way to get them into China has been to smuggle them in. In fact there was a dust up about banning Bibles from the 2008 Olympic games village and more than 100 Christian missionaries were ousted from China prior to the games.
http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=44431
deanhills
Looks as though you have a good point jwellsy. But maybe it has to do with Bibles that are officially sanctioned by the Chinese Government. There is a good chance if Bibles are brought into the country by private individuals that they may be confiscated, as they may not be Bibles that have been officially sanctioned by the Government.

Looks as though Chinese who practice religion are allowed to do so only privately, and are only allowed to attend public churches that have been approved by the Government. In other words no group meetings or evangelism. Most of anything to do with public gatherings to do with religion is monitored and controlled by the Government.

Here is a Time Magazine article on Bibles in China, which is quite confusing. It refers to the new Bible as China's New Bestseller, but at the same time Bibles. Key seems to be Government officially sanctioned churches, and Bibles that are printed inside China, and probably officially sanctioned as well. Any other Bibles are probably confiscated. And public religious gatherings that have not been approved by Government also banned.

I found these stats on the Internet with regard to religion in China. Note that China considers Buddhism and Taoism to be a religion?
http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/Fac/Adler/Reln270/statistics.htm
ocalhoun
deanhills wrote:
Looks as though you have a good point jwellsy. But maybe it has to do with Bibles that are officially sanctioned by the Chinese Government. There is a good chance if Bibles are brought into the country by private individuals that they may be confiscated, as they may not be Bibles that have been officially sanctioned by the Government.

Bingo.

China allows Christianity -- as long as you practice it exactly as they tell you to.
silverdown
Hmmm, very very very interesting.... after 90years?... Ebay the old ones XD... Shocked